• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How I kept my Sprint Premier upgrade...well sort of

Well I never trolled. I gave you an idea, which you happen to have liked. I never attacked you. I also never said what you did was bad or good. I didn't state my opinon on it once. So I am not quite sure why you are jumping down my throat. Deal with the changes made. You can't do anything about getting it back.

You never stated your opinion on the issue? really? You implied I was a whiner, said I needed to just "suck it up" and said I was just pissing and moaning? Seriously? Its obvious that you think I shouldn't have done this.

I do set aside money every month for phone upgrade, it is a good idea. But every time you comment you are bashing what I did by telling me I should have sucked it up and saved more.

Upvote 0
You never stated your opinion on the issue? really? You implied I was a whiner, said I needed to just "suck it up" and said I was just pissing and moaning? Seriously? Its obvious that you think I shouldn't have done this.

I do set aside money every month for phone upgrade, it is a good idea. But every time you comment you are bashing what I did by telling me I should have sucked it up and saved more.

In your first post you complained about the changes to the premier status. So yes I did say you pissed and moaned about it and that you do need to suck it up because you can't change it.

Good for you. I never said more. I just suggested you do it. Which if you do then you shouldn't have a problem buying a phone outright at one year. So there shouldn't be any complaining.

Upvote 0
In your first post you complained about the changes to the premier status. So yes I did say you pissed and moaned about it and that you do need to suck it up because you can't change it.

Good for you. I never said more. I just suggested you do it. Which if you do then you shouldn't have a problem buying a phone outright at one year. So there shouldn't be any complaining.

If you don't think I should have complained then I think we just disagree...

Upvote 0
I agree with you jared, I'll bitch about it all day I don't care. I have been with sprint for 7 years and never had issues until lately slower 3g which I did complain about and got a credit for, piss poor cs. Then this premier change right before the nw phones hit and not grandfathering their current customers, like att did when they changed their data plan.

before anyone tells me how much I'm saving with sprint, save it I know and to be honest my same plan on verizon it's not horribly more expensive, plus I'll get better cs and coverage so my contracts end I may be switching.

Upvote 0
I understand what your view point is on the yearly upgrade. I am on of those people that has to have the newest phones constantly so it was a blow to me as well, but I want to bring up a point that you may not have thought of.

What about next year? So you have it figured out for this year where your going to use your $75 off, but next year do you really think they are going to give you another $50 just to keep you for another year? That would be a pretty bad business model to give 50 to anyone that asked as long as they got high enough.

I agree with most of the people in this thread that I want sprint to stay around. I have been with since my first cell phone and have no intentions of leaving. I would hope that if you have good service you would do the same.

Upvote 0
I have a feeling when the EVO masses find out their upgrades are gone in June you sprint guys are going to be very busy dealing with whiners. I do think pulling an upgrade is a legitimate gripe and should be dealt with accordingly.

Really if you take care of your phones it makes more sense to sell and buy outright avoiding contracts. with no contract you have much more control over any situation that may come up.

Upvote 0
As I stated earlier, I would be absolutely fine with the change had they simply grandfathered current customers in. If they change terms when I sign my new contract I wont give a crap.

I, for one, agree with you. I plan on "pissing and moaning" when my one-year comes up in June also.

And you Sprint fans will also be unhappy to know that when Sprint removed my company discount from my other lines, I was the first to "piss and moan" about that illegal act. Yes, Sprint changed my contractual discount mid-contract. And Sprint admitted they did it. If you or I dumped the Sprint contract mid-term, we would all be hit with an early termination fee. But Sprint simply said, "Tough titties, if you want out of the contract, we'll terminate your contract without an ETF."

So the fact is that I have no contract (on my line only) with Sprint now. (They refused to terminate the contracts on the lines that they removed the discount from. Huh?)

Yes, I will call C.S. in June and moan about what they did to me this year while I was under contract: They removed my company discount on all lines but the primary line thus costing me $120 a year, and ended my Premier status eight months after I purchased my Evo phone.

And I will do this with full knowledge that Sprint is the lowest cost carrier out there. It does look like quite a few of you feel that until Sprint charges the same as Verizon, we should just "suck it up" and be happy. I disagree. When a company agrees to a price and services when I sign up for two years, I expect that company to keep to its promises. Sprint needs to have its feet put to the fire for changing plans and policies without at the very least grandfathering those subscribers who relied on these very promises when they signed up.

Upvote 0
Seems to me that sticking it to Sprint like this is gonna just make it worse for everyone in the long run. That 50.00 will get eaten up quick when rates are raised due to invalid complaints and credits. Its going to hurt us all.
Ive had Sprint for quite a while and other carriers previous to that. They are all about the same. They are out to make a dollar and we are out to save a dollar, but I wont cheat to do it.

Upvote 0
They are out to make a dollar and we are out to save a dollar, but I wont cheat to do it.

So who are you suggesting is a "cheat?" Those of us who complain about Sprint admittedly changing the contract mid-term by eliminating an agreed upon discount or those who complain about Sprint eliminating the Premier benefit without grandfathering those who relied upon the benefit when they signed up? Or both?

Or are you just trying to impress us with your self-righteousness?

Upvote 0
Seems to me that sticking it to Sprint like this is gonna just make it worse for everyone in the long run. That 50.00 will get eaten up quick when rates are raised due to invalid complaints and credits. Its going to hurt us all.
Ive had Sprint for quite a while and other carriers previous to that. They are all about the same. They are out to make a dollar and we are out to save a dollar, but I wont cheat to do it.

Not sure what your definition of "Cheating" is...

Upvote 0
Cheating = Taking something unfairly, acquiring something that you are not entitled to, or more simply put whinning till you get money thrown at you.

Its just gonna make your bill, my bill, & every other sprint customers bill increase.

Then to put it on a public Forum and underhandedly suggesting others do the same. So with the volume of readers this forum has lets say hypothetically 5000 users take your approach, hmmmmmm well thats a 1/4 of a million that Sprint is going to have to recover. How do you suppose they are going to do that?

Upvote 0
Cheating = or more simply put whinning till you get money thrown at you.

I'm sorry but thats not what cheating is.

I'm also sorry I didn't just take it up the butt like so many. It was a legitimate reason why I signed up with Sprint in the first place, but your right just take it and smile.

.25 mill = .00003% of sprint's 7.78B annual revenue, I'm sure they will be okay, its the price of proper customer service.

Upvote 0
I just really dont want my service to become more expensive...

One of the reasons YOUR service is so cheap is because Sprint changes the rules in mid-contract and screws its customers.

If you want to call justifiably complaining about being screwed "whining", then by all means have at it all day long.

If someone wants to come on this forum and demonstrate to others how to get a small amount back from a company that screws them, then I see absolutely nothing wrong in alerting others on how best to get back a portion of what Sprint took.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of how to remain a potted plant while a company screws its customers, but I find it offensive for you to sit in judgment and call people cheaters when they complain to Sprint about changing the rules in the middle of the game.

Upvote 0
If thats all it takes to offend you, daily life must be rough for you, hopefully your life gets easier.

Never said I was offended. If you had bothered to my posts you will see that I have never complained about my crappy signal, piss poor 3g speeds or erroneous charges on my bill one cycle.

Sprint premier was a major reason that I am even with sprint today, if it weren't there at the time of my signing... who knows if I would have gone with Sprint. for them to switch it up middle of the deal irked me because they bait and switched....I do not appreciate it.

Go ahead and just take it if you want, maybe premier wasn't a major reason for you being with sprint, maybe you've been with Sprint long enough you've developed a loyalty to the brand, and think they can do no wrong. Thats fine, but don't say I'm cheating the system, I'm asking for proper customer service in response to an awful customer service decision.

Upvote 0
Never said I was offended. If you had bothered to my posts you will see that I have never complained about my crappy signal, piss poor 3g speeds or erroneous charges on my bill one cycle.

Sprint premier was a major reason that I am even with sprint today, if it weren't there at the time of my signing... who knows if I would have gone with Sprint. for them to switch it up middle of the deal irked me because they bait and switched....I do not appreciate it.

Go ahead and just take it if you want, maybe premier wasn't a major reason for you being with sprint, maybe you've been with Sprint long enough you've developed a loyalty to the brand, and think they can do no wrong. Thats fine, but don't say I'm cheating the system, I'm asking for proper customer service in response to an awful customer service decision.

Then why not switch to a carrier that has better service where you are?

Upvote 0
Then why not switch to a carrier that has better service where you are?

My crappy signal is mostly at work, a minor inconvenience, I'm fine at home. I'm currently "stuck" with Sprint because of the ETF, I signed up because of two reasons a) cost b) because I was assured an early upgrade (This pushed me over the edge). As someone who wants the latest/greatest you can see how this is appealing.

I have considered switching however there are switching costs/hassle. I'm happy I got the $50 credit its done enough to satisfy me in regards to this situation so I'll stick with sprint.

I'm not complaining about my piss poor 3g because I'm not someone who complains about crap like that, however when a company pulls a bait and switch I feel as though I have a legitimate beef.

Upvote 0

Who's cheating? they changed a policy that many many people switched to Sprint for. And didn't stop advertising said policy until a few months before changing it. I don't think that by trying to get something that they offered you when you signed the contract, then rescinded halfway through the contract is cheating. They are a corporation. You guys are defending their policy like you made it up.... Come on, get serious! We are all here to save some money and get a cool phone out of the deal. If they need to screw with their existing customers to pay the bills they are worse off than we could imagine and we will all have to pick a new carrier soon, anyway.

Reactions: jared.meyering
Upvote 0
My crappy signal is mostly at work, a minor inconvenience, I'm fine at home. I'm currently "stuck" with Sprint because of the ETF, I signed up because of two reasons a) cost b) because I was assured an early upgrade (This pushed me over the edge). As someone who wants the latest/greatest you can see how this is appealing.

I have considered switching however there are switching costs/hassle. I'm happy I got the $50 credit its done enough to satisfy me in regards to this situation so I'll stick with sprint.

I'm not complaining about my piss poor 3g because I'm not someone who complains about crap like that, however when a company pulls a bait and switch I feel as though I have a legitimate beef.

So you won't complain about having bad 3g service which is harder to fix yet you will complain about not getting a phone at upgrade price every year which is easy to reslove? That seems very backwards to me.

Upvote 0
So you won't complain about having bad 3g service which is harder to fix yet you will complain about not getting a phone at upgrade price every year which is easy to reslove? That seems very backwards to me.

Yes thats correct What would sprint do? apologize about it say there is nothing they can do? A quick scan through most forums will lead you to many many people with crappy 3G speeds on their Evo's...I get good signal usually, sprint's 3g is just sloooooowww....I'm on WiFi alot so its fairly moot, but still annoying for those times I'm not.

Also I think everyone is missing the point, its not "getting a phone upgrade EVERY year" specifically its THIS YEAR, the year that I signed up under the auspices of "Early upgrade" Next year I could care less if they changed it, but they changed it 8 months after I signed on with Sprint for this benefit. If I was told at my next contract signing, "Hey listen the sprint premier program is changing, this go round you wont have the 1yr upgrade" that would be fine.

Upvote 0

NOT the point of the thread, And he is at work. Do you get paid to use your personal phone? Seriously, What is your beef ? You are jumping this guy for no reason.... His service is fine at home.

Do you work for Sprint? What do you have invested that you feel you need to defend their actions? They pulled a fast one, and it is crappy business as far as I'm concerned. AND YOU CONTINUE TO DEFEND IT?!?!?!

Upvote 0
NOT the point of the thread, And he is at work. Do you get paid to use your personal phone? Seriously, What is your beef ? You are jumping this guy for no reason.... His service is fine at home.

Do you work for Sprint? What do you have invested that you feel you need to defend their actions? They pulled a fast one, and it is crappy business as far as I'm concerned. AND YOU CONTINUE TO DEFEND IT?!?!?!

Well stating my opinion that I think its backwards to be complaining about something that can be very easily fixed by him with very minimul effort and not complaining about something that is not easily fixed by him is not really "jumping this guy". But again that is just my opinon. You are allowed yours just as I am allowed mine. And no I don't get paid to use my personal phone. My personal phone is actually my work phone also. Which I pay for.

I don't work for sprint. I also am not defedning their actions. This 'problem' with the one year upgrades is so easliy resolved that I don't see the point in people going on and on and on about it. Its kinda sensless. If this had been a part of the contract then okay. But since it wasn't a part of the contract at all they are allowed to change it whenever they want. They also sent everybody a letter saying it was changing a few months before it changed. So people knew about it and could make a desicion on what they wanted to do. If because of this or anything else Sprint is no longer the best choice for a person then they should switch to a carrier that is a better choice for them. Sprint isn't the only company and we all have choices. Which I think is a good thing. We can choose what works best for us and what fits our own needs.

But people need something to complain about and focus on so I guess it will continue.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones