• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How I rooted B&N 1.4.1 and got the Android Market to work

[..] I first started off at v1.4.1 then followed steps 4 - 10.
I installed MN 5.12.20 (which is the latest) and when i rebooted it took forever to get past the Nook Color rainbow screen.
That is normal when Davlik and system cache are cleared. Just be patient!
I went into Nook Color Tools and the check box was already checked.
As others have noted, you have to TOGGLE this checkbox.
Then i went into the market and signed in.
I tried downloading Nook Color App Manager, but the installation just paused then canceled itself.
What exactly do you mean by "canceled itself". If you mean it downloads, but never successfully installs, that sounds an awful lot like the symptom of having run one of the earlier ManualNooter versions. Those will break this process. Simply running the newest version won't fix it. Unfortunately, the only fix for this I found was to do a factory reset, then try again. I got really good at doing that!

Ummmmmm........... Well I did that and I'm also using the launcher home, by using homecatcher. And all of my stuff works, so I didn't have to download the app manager.
The Nook Color App Manager step is definitely optional, and only required if you want to integrate 3rd party apps onto the B&N screens.

Personally, I kept the 'n' button set to the B&N home screen, since it's kinda pretty, and just added an ADW EX icon to one of the side screens.

As with most things, once you get under the hood, there are a hundred ways to do things!

That is normal when Davlik and system cache are cleared. Just be patient!As others have noted, you have to TOGGLE this checkbox.What exactly do you mean by "canceled itself". If you mean it downloads, but never successfully installs, that sounds an awful lot like the symptom of having run one of the earlier ManualNooter versions. Those will break this process. Simply running the newest version won't fix it. Unfortunately, the only fix for this I found was to do a factory reset, then try again. I got really good at doing that!

I checked and unchecked the box and looked in market, nothing.
And what i mean by "canceling itself" is it will start downloading, then it will say "download paused" then the downloading bar will disapear and when i click the app again it has the install button again :/
By factory reset do you mean: erase and deregister? or factory reset from cwm?

Thanks again for helping :)

The Nook Color App Manager step is definitely optional, and only required if you want to integrate 3rd party apps onto the B&N screens.

Personally, I kept the 'n' button set to the B&N home screen, since it's kinda pretty, and just added an ADW EX icon to one of the side screens.

As with most things, once you get under the hood, there are a hundred ways to do things!

What is ADW EX?
I like the traditional Android home screen, but I can switch to the B&N home screen to read my books.

What is ADW EX?
Just another launcher. There are several good ones. I've stuck with ADW because of the ability to tweak icon sizes, which is really nice on the larger NC screen. I'm sure other launchers provide similar features.
I like the traditional Android home screen, but I can switch to the B&N home screen to read my books.
If you haven't spotted it yet, there's a "Nook Home" icon that you can put on your launcher screen for quick access.

Could I use the default Android text editor?

By changing "com.bn.device.fota.modefota operation modefotaauto" to "com.bn.device.fota.modefota operation modefotamanual?"

I still need to know if editing it with the default android text editor will block updates.

I've had good luck loading Dalingrin's OC kernel on this configuration, and have not noted any problems. CPU Spy shows the unit hitting all steps, and going into deep sleep appropriately. Battery usage when powered off is essentially flat (good).

I have noticed, both before this update and after, that the unit will hang and eventually reboot on every other reboot or so. Once it settles down, it runs fine for days. I think something is forcing a refresh that locks up the system. I suspect this is a problem with the B&N firmware, since it choked on stock when I had 500 epubs loaded on SD, but I thought I'd mention it here in case others see this behavior.

I am considering rooting my Nook Color and I was just wondering what are the repercussions of not disabling OTA after rooting?

Thanks in advance

I am considering rooting my Nook Color and I was just wondering what are the repercussions of not disabling OTA after rooting?
Having the next update disable functionality, including root, then having to sit around hoping that somebody figures out how to re-root your unit, which may never happen. In other words: Nothing good.
Nook Tablet owners have already experienced this, and are having to do a lot of re-work to revert to an older version to get rooted, then (having learned their lesson) blocking OTA updates. :) I'm very happy I blocked OTA updates on day 1 on the Tablet!

Rooted my Nook Color 1.4.1 using this method.

Worked like a charm.

I also edited the OTA using rootexplorer and SQLite Editor, which was super simple and straight forward minus purchasing both apps from the android market.

Rebooted my NC and everything worked out fine with no boot loop.

Successful root with version NC 1.4.1

Great Job and Thanks a bunch

Having the next update disable functionality, including root, then having to sit around hoping that somebody figures out how to re-root your unit, which may never happen. In other words: Nothing good.
Nook Tablet owners have already experienced this, and are having to do a lot of re-work to revert to an older version to get rooted, then (having learned their lesson) blocking OTA updates. :) I'm very happy I blocked OTA updates on day 1 on the Tablet!

This is technically true. However, even if they automatically updated your B&N Nook Color to a new version that could not be rooted, you could always boot from your microSD card and flash an older version or restore a Nandroid. :)

Right now, I have B&N software version 1.4.1 unrooted with CyanogenMod 7 running on another partition in a dual booting setup. Although, I may eventually root the B&N software version 1.4.1 using this guide to give it a little extra functionality when I am too lazy to boot into the CyanogenMod 7 ROM. ;)

Rooted my Nook Color 1.4.1 using this method.

Worked like a charm.

I also edited the OTA using rootexplorer and SQLite Editor, which was super simple and straight forward minus purchasing both apps from the android market.

Rebooted my NC and everything worked out fine with no boot loop.

Successful root with version NC 1.4.1

Great Job and Thanks a bunch

I can't get Root Explorer to open on my rooted 1.4.1 NC. When I try to open Root Explorer from app manager, it flashes that Root Explorer has been granted superuser permissions, then flashes a Please Wait screen briefly, then kicks out to the app manager screen.

Superuser log shows Root Explorer is being granted superuser access, Titanium Backup, and Rom Manager open and work fine. I'm stumped. :confused:

Anyone?

NVM, I uninstalled and reinstalled RE and it is working now.

Edit: Grrr, now it's doing the same thing.

Edit: It seems that opening Root Explorer from the App Manager app does not work. However, going to the Market, My Apps and opening Root Explorer from there works. FML.

[...] Edit: It seems that opening Root Explorer from the App Manager app does not work. However, going to the Market, My Apps and opening Root Explorer from there works. FML.
I usually keep system-level apps out of the B&N interface, and access them via ADW EX (my choice of launcher). Works fine that way.

As an experiment, I did open NC App Manager and added Root Explorer to home, then launched it from the B&N interface. It worked with no problem.

I'm afraid I don't have any solid solutions since you've uninstalled and reinstalled RE a few times. It's strange that it works from Market and not the B&N interface. Have you tested launching it from Zeam? Are any other root-level apps causing problems?

I never thought of adding the Root Explorer icon to my B&N desktop, so I did from BN app manager and it seems to be working from the desktop with no problem. It is only when I try launching the RE app directly from the B&N app manager "app tray/drawer" that I have the problem. Weird.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get the zip file onto my sd card to be booted up.

anyone have any helpful ideas?

^ thanks got it working later last night.

I can't seem to get NHL game center to work because of a location error any ideas anyone?

Back
Top Bottom