• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long does your battery last?

B81

Jan 30, 2011
Slovenia
Hey guys,

Im having my Optimus One since a few days, my first smartphone and Im very satisfied with it.
Except, after using "normal phones" for so long, having to charge the LG every day was quite a shock (even though I knew that...).

So I'd like to know how long your batteries last and how you extend their life.

Mine last about 24-28 hours, of moderate use.
10-15min of calls per day
3-5 messages per day
30 mins of game playing per day
almost no browsing
no video playing/recording
no camera
wifi, bluetooth, gps and 3G turned off
no taks killers or monitoring apps instaled except battery widget app
no widgets running except smooth calendar
all social app, mail etc. synchonisation turned manual

The strange thing is, 3 nights ago the phone lost 9% of its energy during the night. This night, it lost 21%. With the same settings. WTF?

I've used juice defender but uninstalled it, cause it wasnt doing anything else for me, then turning off 3G what I can do anyway per hand.

Should I buy a app that adjust CPU strenght?

Reactions: XxChristophxX
Hello!
My battery lasts 2-3 days. How?
First of all, i set the brightness of the screen to 5%, and just when i need i raise it. (Use the Power Control widget).
I also use ES Task Manager to kill all tasks before i put the phone in stand-by.
I turned off the vibrations everywhere.
Any app that is using the speaker is eating the energy, so set the sound off, or use the headset. This is all i think :-?.. If i'll remember anything else, i'll post.
Now an example: In one night, the phone loses about 2-3%.
I'm pretty satisfied with it. 10 minutes of calls per day, 5-10 messages, over 1h playing games, over 2h wireless on, 1-2h browsing & multimedia (taking photos, video playbak, watching photos), widgets all over the 5 screens with manual sync;)

Reactions: XxChristophxX
Upvote 0
Don't forget that every process drains your battery... i had some utility apps, that i realized did more harm than good and now i only use the task manager and Mini Info (widget) to show exact battery status.
PS: An Antivirus drains the battery, but is usefull. But if you use android market only, and no browsing, i don't see the need of the antivirus

Upvote 0
mine used to last approximately 10-12 hours (wifi or 3g constant with occasional music and calls, 1-2 hrs gaming) and used to loose about 5-10% overnight.. i changed to megatron yesterday and the battery life has actually improved.. it has not lost a single % in standby mode for the last 3 hours which i find amazing.. (with wifi on!)

Upvote 0
I usually have a fully charged phone at 8am and need to plug it then about 15-20%% 12 hours later.

I have screen brightness at almost the lowest setting, but I do use 3g alot when I'm out, when I'm home wifi is constantly connected. I also have push email and location services (latitude, weather app etc) set for automatic updating of my location. I also use my phone as my main mp3 player. I send about 40-50 messages per day and make about 5-10 minutes of calls. Also have automatic wireless sync with DoubleTwist every 6 hours

I'm pretty satisfied with the battery for the use I get out of it although I could probably get alot longer out of it if I made some tweaks. :)

Upvote 0
I was using Android Assistant today, to kill apps every time before I turn the phone off (standy mode) and right now I have 84% battery left after 9 hours of use. Few calls, few sms, a bit of browsing and 20min playing chess.

2 nights ago I've lost more energy while I was sleeping... :rolleyes:

EDIT: After 24h 71% battery left.

Upvote 0
I use my lg shine plus a lot (not often for actual calls though) and i can kill it in half a day often with a lot of browsing and downloading. If I'm careful with moderate use i can get a day out of it. I have gotten over 40hrs out of it once but that was a record and with minimal use. I could have a defective battery the phone is not popular enough to find a trend on how long it normally lasts.

Since i just bought an optimus one for the spare battery and charger etc it will be interesting to see how long the new battery lasts in the shine and how long the optimus lasts.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Check out my Power Scheduler app which is designed to help prolong the battery life. You will be able to schedule when Wi-fi, Data, Bluetooth and Airplane Mode turn ON & OFF. You can also schedule the brightness changes.

Power Scheduler - Android Apps and Tests - AndroidPIT

1696025-1298644969095.png

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Steve.

Reactions: tahrikk
Upvote 0
My doesn't last more than 10 hrs.

I constantly use 3g services so I can't really use an app like Juce defender because it shut down all data connection as soon as phone goes in sleep mode.

May be I am doing something wrong here. Any suggestions?

You can still use Juice Defender. Its totally customizable. There are settings that if you set them outside Juice Defender, juice won't change them until you allow it too.

Reactions: jsatpal
Upvote 0
< 10 hrs cannot be normal, I agree. How old is your phone ? Usually for a new battery, it takes couple of charging cycles to get to its the full utilization capacity.

Use the power widget to the fullest. Disable whatever is not used. Turn to manual sync. Instead of app killer, try to return to home screen manually (instead of directly hitting 'Home' key)

Upvote 0
FYI, this was posted on another forum:

This phone appears to have the well documented android "Time without a signal" bug.

You can verify this by looking at Settings/About Phone/Battery Use Details/Cell standby : If it reports 40-50% you have the bug.

What happens is the phone loses signal and hunts for a better one (switching between WCDMA and GSM).

What to do:

1. In Settings/Wireless & Network Settings/Mobile Networks/Preferred Network Mode/ choose either WCDMA (3G) Only or GSM Only (2G Edge) (GSM / WCDMA Auto is on by default) . Which one to use will depend on your signal for each mode (3G signal is really good in most parts of Montreal so I use WCDMA only).

2. Reboot the phone

3. Put the phone in Airplane Mode (press and hold the power button to get the screen)

4. Take the phone out of Airplaine Mode

You will see a dramatic improvement in battery life, e.g 2 days for your light use strategy. However you will have to do the Airplane mode trick every time you power down or restart the phone.

Worked for me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones