• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories How much are you willing to cough up for the dock?

$200 sounds reasonable for the laptop dock, as the screen is led backlight and therefore not cheap.

Edit: Maybe I would only want to pay $100 - $150 as let's think about this the average consumer does not keep their phone forever so the laptop dock would be obsolete unless if Motorola keeps compatibility with new Android phones, and if you continue to buy Motorola Android phones.

Upvote 0
$200 sounds reasonable for the laptop dock, as the screen is led backlight and therefore not cheap.

Edit: Maybe I would only want to pay $100 - $150 as let's think about this the average consumer does not keep their phone forever so the laptop dock would be obsolete unless if Motorola keeps compatibility with new Android phones, and if you continue to buy Motorola Android phones.

In all fairness.. in 2 years even a netbook would be obsolete. 150$ would be "fair" for the laptop dock but, 100$ would be "ideal".

With that said I'm not willing to pay for any of it.

I don't need another computer, I just need a new phone.

I already have a quad core desktop...so for me using it as a full on desktop is just a novelty.. not a practical thing to do.

Being as I am a computer science major... I don't really need it to take notes.. all of my classes that I'd need a laptop have computers in them.

So for me personally the accessories are a bit useless..

Upvote 0
I think Moto could have charged a lot more if they announced that future Atrix phones woud be compatible. That would be really cool actually - SoC (System on a Chip) tech is evolving WAY faster than screen display tech and battery tech, so if they release another Atrix in a year with Samsung's Orion SoC or something and 2 gigs of RAM, I would be happy to pay more for it.

LED is impressive, batteries aren't cheap, the keyboard is (reportedly) high-quality, and there's a dock... hmm.. I would guess between 129.99 and 179.99.

Upvote 0
I think Moto could have charged a lot more if they announced that future Atrix phones woud be compatible. That would be really cool actually - SoC (System on a Chip) tech is evolving WAY faster than screen display tech and battery tech, so if they release another Atrix in a year with Samsung's Orion SoC or something and 2 gigs of RAM, I would be happy to pay more for it.

LED is impressive, batteries aren't cheap, the keyboard is (reportedly) high-quality, and there's a dock... hmm.. I would guess between 129.99 and 179.99.

You know.. you have a good point.

Even if screen tech were to be evolving incredibly fast.. the truth is.. most of us would settle for one that works and is bigger so long as future phones would be compatible.

@runner2k

Why in gods name does the laptop dock need an hdmi port when they sell a desktop dock for it and there is an hdmi port in the side of the phone itself.

Upvote 0
You know.. you have a good point.

Even if screen tech were to be evolving incredibly fast.. the truth is.. most of us would settle for one that works and is bigger so long as future phones would be compatible.

@runner2k

Why in gods name does the laptop dock need an hdmi port when they sell a desktop dock for it and there is an hdmi port in the side of the phone itself.

I believe the Hdmi port is used when docked in the laptop.

Upvote 0
Is it possible to connect the phone to a TV without the dock through what I assume is a mini hdmi port on the phone? It would be cool to play games without having to hold the dock in addition to the phone.

Yep, it is possible to connect with a mini HDMI > HDMI cable. The guy demos it for AndroidSpin in the following vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LdL_WMjKI0

Upvote 0
No way will the desktop dock be $100. Every other dock Motorola has sells for $40, and while this does offer more features than the average dock, the normal consumer won't see it as such, so I see this thing going for the $40 the other docks go for, $50 at the most.
Car dock will be $40 just like the rest of them.
Laptop dock on the other hand, I'd likely buy it for $100, but I see it ending up at more like $150.

Upvote 0
$120 - $150 and that's probably pushing it. While it has a nice LED screen and solid looking keyboard, it's still only a shell. Aside from that, you have to justify its usage. The HD dock is pretty much the same thing and can already work with my existing lap top with more functionality. At this point it hinges more on being a gimmick than actually increasing productivity. A fancy gimmick but still a gimmick nonetheless.

Upvote 0
I am glad to see that the netbook dock is only going to be $150 that seems like a reasonable price.
You know what would have been cool? If the phone can become a part of the netbook :D Like have a space right beside the mouse pad and insert it in, wouldn't that be something lol :) This way, it becomes more portable.

Upvote 0
You know what would have been cool? If the phone can become a part of the netbook :D Like have a space right beside the mouse pad and insert it in, wouldn't that be something lol :) This way, it becomes more portable.

Are you saying insert this in to the dock to perform no other function than to be stealth and run webtop? Because to be honest I don't want my phone sliding in and out of anything with the potential of scratching or damaging the phone.

Upvote 0
Are you saying insert this in to the dock to perform no other function than to be stealth and run webtop? Because to be honest I don't want my phone sliding in and out of anything with the potential of scratching or damaging the phone.

hmmm yeah basically o_O though I think you can still use your phone as it's there and not behind the screen. You might have a point with taking it in and out that it might scratch the phone. *shrugs* just food for thought :p lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones