• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much RAM does the LG Optimus V have?

FYI, not sure where some people are getting their info. Unless they have changed the phone (and I noticed the Optimus S is now 512mb of memory (not RAM)) it is definitely only 170mb.

That being said, unless you are willing to root and go the whole Link2SD route this phone is VERY frustrating. With half the memory filled with VM crap apps you have room for 5-15 apps of your own.

With Link2SD it's nearly unlimited.

Upvote 0
Mebibytes, huh? Seriously? I thought 1 MB is 1024 KB, but then I looked up the wiki and there it was saying 1MB is actually 1000000 Bytes. This is crap. (I mean the usage of the term Mebibytes)
Anyways, good to know that Optimus V has 512 MB RAM, uhhh, I mean 512 MiB.. They are on sale for $80 at BestBuy with a free $35 VirginMobile card.
OLD, but I just can't help myself. It's what happen when you let loose base ignorant MBAs in the techworld. They "magically" made hard drives bigger one year that way pulling that BS meanwhile overlook 50y of tradition.

Upvote 0
Its 160MB. I just posted some of the specs from the LG OPTIMUS V pdf specs.

An example of why people need to learn the difference between Program Memory and Program Storage.

RAM is not App Storage.

RAM is for running applications, not where you install them to. 160MB for installing Apps is not the amount of RAM the phone has available for running them.

The Optimus models have 512MB of RAM onboard with about 450MB allocated to user apps.

Upvote 0
I was pointing out the apps don't have 450MB of storage. They only have 170 something, depending on the ROM. This is called internal memory. With the ROM I have Installed I have 178.87 allocated to internal memory, that's all (and that's more than the stock ROM). I can't get more than 150MB-155MB worth of app's in the internal memory before I get a low memory warning.
That's why we have to use App2SD or Link2SD to allow us to install more apps. If there was 450MB of internal memory we wouldn't need App2SD or Link2SD.

Maybe you could point out how much of the RAM is dedicated for the OS, GPU, Video CPU, etc. , etc. Not all RAM is free, a lot is dedicated.

This would prove your point in a way that would clear this issue up for everybody.

Note: Please be as specific as possibly in order to clear this up.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I researched the whole RAM issue. I was hoping I didn't have to type all the info in so other members could get a clear understanding on what RAM is and how much is allocated (and to what ), and how much is free. I was hoping twelfth would.
I was just trying to point out the issue with the space on the internal memory for apps is all.
I wasn't disputing the info he posted about the RAM at this time, just hoping he would give all the members the lowdown skinny on RAM on an Android device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones