• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How safe is it to use Rom Manger?

mrblue332

Newbie
I'm new to rooting but I have a couple of questions. I'm scared to use Rom Manager because my old droid i downloaded a bad rom and i could never get past Welcome to Android because it kept crashing. I tried to fix it and nothing worked. I did everything right. I want to use Rom Manager again but i heard that it doesnt work with one click roots. I used Superoneclick

My second question is about CPU.
I have the CPU app and i think i over clocked my droid
It's a little bit faster now

Do you guys have any tips?

I know what an nandroid backup is
 
Well if you you clockwork mod recovery. Just make sure your rom zip file is in the root directory of your sd card. Then tjrn off phone and do the hold x and power button to get in to recovery. Clear out your cache and then install zip. Find your rom zip and click it.
 
I'm asking this question because the last time I loaded a rom i could never get past the welcome to Android because it would crash on me. I tried to fix it but nothing really happend. Still had the same issue. I'm scared to use Rom Manger again but I want to use Roms again. and I just want to change the battery also to light blue
 
I'm asking this question because the last time I loaded a rom i could never get past the welcome to Android because it would crash on me. I tried to fix it but nothing really happend. Still had the same issue. I'm scared to use Rom Manger again but I want to use Roms again. and I just want to change the battery also to light blue

ROM Manager has never caused me a problem. I have used it and Clockwork Recovery to install ROMs. Others have posted that they have had problems so I don't know what else to say.

If you do get it realize that you should still research the ROMs before downloading and installing them. Some of the ones offered are older. If you do get it I would pay for the premium version. I have like using it for backups and installing the more well known ROMs offered.
 
That kind of solved my problem a little bit. But i don't know what happend to my old phone that did that. I was having issues with the rom where it would freeze on me and i would have to do battery pulls. I like the bugless beasts the best because I don't have any issues with them. I only used the old rom because it had a light blue battery. I just want a light blue battery or a nice looking rom. I used the free verison of Rom Manger and I did everything right
\The error I was getting when I was rebooting my phone and i came to the How to use Android or something like that and when I went to use it there was an error message saying Force close and it would keep saying that. I tried everything to fix it.
 
i personally would never use rom manager,especially after some of the thigns ive read. i came from the eris,where rom manager wasnt really an option,so im quite used to flashing,making backups,etc. its not complicated top do it that way,im not sure why people shy away from it.

if you check md5 sums of the roms you download,and flash them yourself in recovery following the developers directions,the odds are significantly less youll have an issue.

my 2 cents :)
 
Most of us install ROMs in Recovery. It is just as fast and a lot more reliable. Download the ROM of your choice to the PC and move it to your SD card (preferably the root, but it's not vital). Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery (or SPRecovery) using x+power and "wipe data/factory reset"... the more times you wipe the better IMHO. Select "Install zip from SD card" and "Choose zip". Navigate to your ROM and install.

MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! :)

EDIT: I DO use ROM Manager, but it's only to name my backups. I have only ever used it to install a ROM once.
 
I use Rom Manager to Download the CM 7 nightlies because it is easier then going to the website to do it. However I've moved from CWR to Razor Recovery so I flash all of my ROMs by booting into recovery once the rom is done downloading. Rom Manager is a very good tool, and I have never had an issue with it.
 
Well I'm downloading a rom right now on my phone from Rom Manger. I'm still on my stock without a rom if you know what I mean. Do I have to whipe data and chace because I don't want to loose my text messages.
 
You WILL lose ALL user data when you wipe. You can use MyBackupPro to backup your messages, etc. and then restore them on the new ROM. I think SMS Backup does the same thing.
 
Well I tried to download a ROM but none of them work. Bugless beast will not download and i got some error. Tried others with and I would always Wipe data and back up rom and my phone would boot and then it would show a phone a triangle. It has done that with every ROM
 
If you're seeing a triangle you've lost your custom recovery and will never be able to install a ROM. You need ROM Manager to flash ClockworkMod, then flash SPRecovery, then Clockwork AGAIN. That should cement Clockwork into the phone's memory, and you'll be able to wipe & flash ROMs.
 
Sorry for being a noob. I forgot to flash clockwork recovery before I did this. Fixed the issue. So everytime I want to flash a new Rom do i need to use clockwork mod recovery because I'm scared of being stuck on the welcome to android thing again.
 
The Welcome to Android thing indicates that you successfully wiped data. When you flash a ROM and then update the same ROM no wipe is needed. For example, going from CM7 nightly to nightly, no wipe should be required. Going from CM7 to Ultimate Droid, you should wipe. If you keep data across different ROMs you open the door to software conflicts and force closes all over the place.
 
Dude the Android Market kept crashing on me. I need to know a great ROM that doesn't do that. I did a restore on my droid when I was in click Work Mode Recovery and I went to restore and now i'm restoring. This is what happened last time.
 
What ROM were you on? I know CM7 requires flashing Gapps as well. I can recommend trying Ultimate Droid 3.0.1 (3.1 is coming soon)... my humble Droid can't run Gingerbread though. Good luck :)
 
Back
Top Bottom