• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-to]Battery Calibration

Loota

Android Enthusiast
Disclaimer: I have tested this on my own samsung transform ultra and have not run into any issues, however, I cannot be held responsible for what you do to your phone. I have attempted to make this guide as foolproof as possible by including a guide that does all the lifting for you. However things sometimes go wrong.

Who can do this?

Rooted users.

What you will need:

Root: http://androidforums.com/transform-ultra-all-things-root/430140-acs-root-transform-ultra.html

Battery Calibration app: Battery Calibration - by N

I performed the steps as stated by Loota and this is the first day up and running, I am 7 hours 37 mins and only down to 60%

I think that is pretty good better that before I did the calibration. Before it seemed to drop suddenly with out any usage (it must have been reading it wrong).

:)

It doesnt make the battery life better if thats what your wondering. It makes sure that the phone is showing the exact/correct battery percentage.

Okay thanks for the info, i thought that it would make my battery last longer, yeah i seem to have the issue with the battery reading i thought that it was broken already or something i only had my phone for less than a month now haha

Okay thanks for the info, i thought that it would make my battery last longer, yeah i seem to have the issue with the battery reading i thought that it was broken already or something i only had my phone for less than a month now haha

It will last longer in a sense that you'll get more out of a single charge but only because your battery will be read correctly, not because your battery will be changed in any way.

Okay need a little assistance I have searched the forums but nothing to work with...day after battery calibration the phone indicates it's being charged but is not on the charger (this was after unplugging from the car then headed back to car for another errand this is when I noticed it) When I powered down, to pull the battery to then restart it, It automatically rebooted after selecting the power off. No other changes have been made (no new cords or apps since adding battery calibration) IDEAS?? :confused:

Just noticed that the gmail sync was unchecked has not been syncing since yesterday before 9pm..??? weird?

Okay need a little assistance I have searched the forums but nothing to work with...day after battery calibration the phone indicates it's being charged but is not on the charger (this was after unplugging from the car then headed back to car for another errand this is when I noticed it) When I powered down, to pull the battery to then restart it, It automatically rebooted after selecting the power off. No other changes have been made (no new cords or apps since adding battery calibration) IDEAS?? :confused:

Just noticed that the gmail sync was unchecked has not been syncing since yesterday before 9pm..??? weird?

I can't comment on what has caused your gmail to not be synched, that is way off the list of things this app does.. Besides deleting the batterystats.bin and beeping when at 100% this app does nothing else afaik. I have had no problems with it personally and have not seen any issues similiar to what you are experiencing and I believe that what you are experiencing is not related to the app or the process of battery recalibration but I will look into it further and see if anyone else has had a problem with it showing the phone as charging when it is not.

OK the variables are increasing but one interesting fact is that when the battery reaches 100% and then I unplug the phone it will stay on 100% until I reboot.

The phone stopped automatically rebooting on shutdown but there are times that the phone beeps as if it is being plugged in. I have found that if I blow hard a into the usb port that it will stop beeping. Obviously something is wrong with the port.

So, if there is any information regarding a repair I could do myself I would like o give it a shot (have done repairs before including soldering components on PC's)

:rolleyes: Otherwise a disappearing act and become parts. LOL ;)

OK the variables are increasing but one interesting fact is that when the battery reaches 100% and then I unplug the phone it will stay on 100% until I reboot.

The phone stopped automatically rebooting on shutdown but there are times that the phone beeps as if it is being plugged in. I have found that if I blow hard a into the usb port that it will stop beeping. Obviously something is wrong with the port.

So, if there is any information regarding a repair I could do myself I would like o give it a shot (have done repairs before including soldering components on PC's)

:rolleyes: Otherwise a disappearing act and become parts. LOL ;)

Hey, ok so I did a bunch of searching and came up with a few things similiar to what you are describing...

"Depending on the scheme that Samsung uses, it could have been a botched battery calibration. If you started the calibration process with a partially discharged battery (say at 60%), it may think that is a full charge. So everything that is above 60% will be reported as 100%. Again, it all depends on how they calibrate the indicator and how you performed the calibration."

"Would try wiping battery stats after a full charge.
Do it in cw under advanced (I believe).
The starting up in recovery..couldn't tell ya about that one."

Some say to reflash your rom. Some say deleting the batterystats.bin revealed a defect that was present in the phone before. All say it shouldn't cause a problem and google says..

"This file [batterystats.bin] is used to maintain, across reboots, low-level data about the kinds of operations the device and your apps are doing between battery changes. That is, it is solely used to compute the blame for battery usage shown in the "Battery Use" UI in settings. That is, it has deeply significant things like "app X held a wake lock for 2 minutes" and "the screen was on at 60% brightness for 10 minutes."

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you. It has no impact on your battery life."

Just a shot in the dark here but have you tried charging with a charger that didn't belong with the phone? like a micro usb cable or charger that was for someone elses phone? Your symptom here you can blow into the usb port to get rid of a beep can't possibly have anything to do with a software issue...

Hey, ok so I did a bunch of searching and came up with a few things similiar to what you are describing...

"Depending on the scheme that Samsung uses, it could have been a botched battery calibration. If you started the calibration process with a partially discharged battery (say at 60%), it may think that is a full charge. So everything that is above 60% will be reported as 100%. Again, it all depends on how they calibrate the indicator and how you performed the calibration."

"Would try wiping battery stats after a full charge.
Do it in cw under advanced (I believe).
The starting up in recovery..couldn't tell ya about that one."

Ok that is kinda what I was thinking because the phone was off when charging. And when it did reach 100% I booted and then did battery calibration (delete file), so actually the battery wasn't at 100% because of the booting up it did read 99%

OK so redoing the calibration may fix it.

Yeah, the blowing into the port? I don't know either, I did it thinking that something may have lodged itself in the port!?!?!

Otherwise I was thinking that if I upgrade to the 4.0 PRIME ROM from the 3.5 may help it too.

Ok that is kinda what I was thinking because the phone was off when charging. And when it did reach 100% I booted and then did battery calibration (delete file), so actually the battery wasn't at 100% because of the booting up it did read 99%

OK so redoing the calibration may fix it.

Yeah, the blowing into the port? I don't know either, I did it thinking that something may have lodged itself in the port!?!?!

Otherwise I was thinking that if I upgrade to the 4.0 PRIME ROM from the 3.5 may help it too.

99% shouldn't make that big of a difference afaik. If you kept a copy of your batterystats.bin you could replace the new one with the old one and see if that helps. or yes upgrading or just reflashing could help.

upgraded/updated rom and did the calilbration and no luck :( At least it isn't beeping at me all the time(that could come back but keeping my fingers crossed). I can live with it until I am ready to have it replaced. Still better that having the stock :)

Back
Top Bottom