• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to change gmail password on phone?

Here's the SOLUTION I succeeded with right now, using ANDROID 2.3.6

In >Processes (or Applications) select >All

Scroll to "Google Play-Services" >"Deinstall all Updates"
(I suppose this was not the clue, I just like to annex it here as I did so.
I will shurly not go thru all of that steps again to find out if this step is essential.
You may either do asame or try out omitting it)

Now to absolutely all starting with "Google ...", eg. "Google Backup Transport" "Google Calender" etc.:

>"Force to stop" aaaand (here it comes)
>"Data" >"Delete Data"
As done so with the last "Google ..." item immediately a Popup appeared, asking me for the (new) gmail Password.

I thought of the same thing before reading this, after trying every other solution offered from most of the forum respondents, BTW thanks everyone for your advice. Peace out.

Upvote 0
After you changed your (PC based) gmail password, you will find that you can no longer synchronize gmail on your Android phone. I use a Samsung with Android 2. something.
Om my Android the Google application is still called Market (instead of Google Games or wathever it is called now).
Simply (in my case) press the 'Market' application. The application will state that your password is not correct and allows to enter your new password. Simply enter your new password and your gmail will synchronize again.
PS. I agree with other respondents that this cannot be changed 'directly' on the Android phone, at least not on my 2.x version.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I reset my son's e-mail password when I discovered he had used a password in the top 100 most common password list. Then next type he went to use his tablet, he couldn't open youtube. I tried all the tips in this thread, non of which worked. Eventually though after about an hour of trying various tricks, android finally decided to pop-up a notification that allowed me to set the new password on his tablet...

Really, why does this have to be so hard? But if you think this is hard, try and see what happens if you delete one of the gmail accounts linked to your phone... As near as I can tell you can add as many google accounts as you want to your phone, but the only way to ever delete one is to completely reset the phone. Too bad, as I was thinking of registering a replacement gmail account for my son, as he no longer uses that particular nickname... We have a shared gmail account we use for the android market, so there are no apps or such tied to is normal gmail account.

Bill

Upvote 0
Just changed all my Gmail passwords & of course had some of the same issues. I am using 2.3.4 & I finally got all to sync.....although took me about a week to figure it out. I deleted one account, no prob...tried it a second time...nope wouldn't let me do it...so I added the deleted account back on...entered new password...nope wouldn't work. I went back to the settings in my email account as I used the 2nd verification..selected Change password recovery options.....wanted to turn off my 2-Step Verification...But Wait!....do click that you want to turn it off... then another box pops up & click on Application-Specific Password

Problem Solved

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones