• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to close an app completely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also did this automatically with my first Razr cell phone,completely forgot how backwards it was from Windows, believe me, we should turn off that part of the mind, and change it over.
You shouldn't change your way of thinking. There are not ways of thinking. There is only one sensible way to think, and that's using logic. If we all did this, things like religion and climate change would go out the window. But there's always one....

You shouldn't change your way of thinking. There are not ways of thinking. There is only one sensible way to think, and that's using logic. If we all did this, things like religion and climate change would go out the window. But there's always one....
"Looooooooooogiiiiiiccccccccccccc......"What an unfamiliar word to me.....

I think the solution to your problem will be solved by holding the power button until shutdown pops up on the screen. Hit that to let the phone shutdown and then never, ever, power up the phone again.🤣🤣

"Looooooooooogiiiiiiccccccccccccc......"What an unfamiliar word to me.....
Yip, modern society has lost the ability to think, we just believe what everyone tells us. Unless what you're told makes sense to you, don't believe it.
I think the solution to your problem will be solved by holding the power button until shutdown pops up on the screen. Hit that to let the phone shutdown and then never, ever, power up the phone again.🤣🤣
That has got to be the most pathetic attempt at an insult ever. Not only does it sound like it came from a little child, it also shows no evidence you have any knowledge on the subject, or you'd be able to explain WHY you falsely believe I'm wrong.

This was perhaps predictable, I made the mistake of writing a load of reasons why I'm right, and it's too difficult for any of you to contradict them without just pointing to some website you believe is correct.

Apps run in the background as needed. You can't stop that unless you either uninstall the app or run in safe mode 24/7.

The advice and solutions that have been given are the right ones yet don't fit your criteria as acceptable.

If you want a phone that behaves like Windows then by all means use a Windows phone.

It wasn't an attempt at an insult, btw. It is the final and most permanent solution to your problem.

Why do you accept a phone which doesn't allow you to disable an app? You seem to be ok with no control over your own device. The average user probably has about 30 or more apps installed, all sitting there eating memory and battery for no reason whatsoever. Uninstalling them is overkill, it should be easy to just close them, and to disable them at startup. The most basic operation, close. I know phones are simpler than computers and have to run on smaller amounts of CPU and RAM and electricity, but this is basic stuff. Stuff which would actually extend the battery life. And yes it was an insult, it would be like a mechanic suggesting to fix the noise in a customer's car, he could scrap the car. Clearly your feeble attempt at a joke.

Apps run in the background as needed. You can't stop that unless you either uninstall the app or run in safe mode 24/7.

The advice and solutions that have been given are the right ones yet don't fit your criteria as acceptable.

If you want a phone that behaves like Windows then by all means use a Windows phone.

It wasn't an attempt at an insult, btw. It is the final and most permanent solution to your problem.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Why do you accept a phone which doesn't allow you to disable an app? You seem to be ok with no control over your own device. The average user probably has about 30 or more apps installed, all sitting there eating memory and battery for no reason whatsoever. Uninstalling them is overkill, it should be easy to just close them, and to disable them at startup. The most basic operation, close. I know phones are simpler than computers and have to run on smaller amounts of CPU and RAM and electricity, but this is basic stuff. Stuff which would actually extend the battery life. And yes it was an insult, it would be like a mechanic suggesting to fix the noise in a customer's car, he could scrap the car. Clearly your feeble attempt at a joke.
Stone Cold Steve Austin What GIF

So now we've stooped to the level of unintelligible gifs. I thought this was a forum for adults to discuss phones. Could you run along to imgur or something?

So now we've stooped to the level of unintelligible gifs. I thought this was a forum for adults to discuss phones. Could you run along to imgur or something?
Your passive-aggressive retorts and ignoring of solutions from knowledgeable members isn't earning you any goodwill.

We are here to attempt to help. When we see that it is for naught and are treated disrespectfully we will act accordingly.

@Sunny Rio I just saw that CPU-Z was available for Android. I use to use it on my gaming computers all the time. It should show you all your system information which may help

CPU-Z - Apps on Google Play
I already use it on Windows and Android, it shows info about the CPU etc, not the running apps.
Your passive-aggressive retorts and ignoring of solutions from knowledgeable members isn't earning you any goodwill.

We are here to attempt to help. When we see that it is for naught and are treated disrespectfully we will act accordingly.
I ain't being aggressive. I'm asking questions and getting no answers. I ask how to do something and I'm told I shouldn't be doing it. Nobody has provided any useful information in this forum, I should have asked my dog for advice.

I think Android doesn't let any apps see the "secret" information on what other apps are doing. I couldn't find any task manager type thing to show me how much of the CPU was being used for each task. It's ridiculous, someone at Android/Google/whoever owns it now has gone way over the top on security and ruined the OS. There are even some scientific programs I used to run which don't work anymore in the name of security. If I'd known Windows phones were still a thing, I would have got one of those.

I think Android doesn't let any apps see the "secret" information on what other apps are doing. I couldn't find any task manager type thing to show me how much of the CPU was being used for each task. It's ridiculous, someone at Android/Google/whoever owns it now has gone way over the top on security and ruined the OS. There are even some scientific programs I used to run which don't work anymore in the name of security. If I'd known Windows phones were still a thing, I would have got one of those.
For seeing ram used, you gotta enable developer mode. Settings, Info, click Build Number 7-10 times. Then go to Settings, System, and you should see a new option called Developer Mode. It'll have the running apps and memory used info. Make sure to keep the USB debugging (most don't use this) off when not using.

I ain't being aggressive. I'm asking questions and getting no answers. I ask how to do something and I'm told I shouldn't be doing it. Nobody has provided any useful information in this forum, I should have asked my dog for advice.
You are getting answers, the problem is that you don't like them.

The only reason to actively shut down an app is if it is misbehaving. Android will take care of allocating resources as needed.

Task-killing apps are unnecessary and useless.

For seeing ram used, you gotta enable developer mode. Settings, Info, click Build Number 7-10 times. Then go to Settings, System, and you should see a new option called Developer Mode. It'll have the running apps and memory used info. Make sure to keep the USB debugging (most don't use this) off when not using.
I'm sure I've done that before, and I couldn't see the data I needed. On that occasion I think it was % CPU usage for an app (I wanted to see if the app I needed was getting most of the CPU or if anything else was slowing it down). Turns out Android won't let apps have that info. And it doesn't seem to see it itself either!
You are getting answers, the problem is that you don't like them.

The only reason to actively shut down an app is if it is misbehaving. Android will take care of allocating resources as needed.

Task-killing apps are unnecessary and useless.
You're blindly saying it will take care of it. There is a finite amount of CPU power and a finite amount of RAM. It can't create more by magic. All it can do is the same as a desktop OS, page stuff onto disk, but then it can't run and it has to page back again.

Even if it's misbehaving, there's no nice way to shut it down. Killing the process should be a last resort.

I'm sure I've done that before, and I couldn't see the data I needed. On that occasion I think it was % CPU usage for an app (I wanted to see if the app I needed was getting most of the CPU or if anything else was slowing it down). Turns out Android won't let apps have that info. And it doesn't seem to see it itself either!

You're blindly saying it will take care of it. There is a finite amount of CPU power and a finite amount of RAM. It can't create more by magic. All it can do is the same as a desktop OS, page stuff onto disk, but then it can't run and it has to page back again.

Even if it's misbehaving, there's no nice way to shut it down. Killing the process should be a last resort.
What version of android and phone model are you using?

Seriously you are either too dumb to ask for help or getting wound up over simple stuff, heck I do not even do any task killer on my windows anymore.

What's sad is that the OP is going to get a bad impression of Android being a laggy, battery draining, unstable mess because they think task killers are the bee's knees. Sadly, many task killers are developed by the infamous Cheetah Mobile who have problems that go far deeper than ruining your phone's performance!

What version of android and phone model are you using?
Samsung A10, Android 11, only 2GB RAM.
Seriously you are either too dumb to ask for help or getting wound up over simple stuff, heck I do not even do any task killer on my windows anymore.
I do in Windows when something crashes. But my phone has ***2*** GB of RAM! My Windows machine has 64GB. 2GB means you run low a lot! My RAM usage is usually about 90% on the phone and 60% on Windows.
What's sad is that the OP is going to get a bad impression of Android being a laggy, battery draining, unstable mess because they think task killers are the bee's knees. Sadly, many task killers are developed by the infamous Cheetah Mobile who have problems that go far deeper than ruining your phone's performance!
They're not the bee's knees because unfortunately apps/Android are very good at sneaking back in again! Even if you kill a background app, suddenly it's there again! That simply shouldn't happen until startup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom