• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to debrand from TMobile on my rooted Samsung GalaxyS2?

dynamic92

Hi there, my first message on here. I am a total noob really, just had to root my phone to unlock it from TMobile, but it is still "branded" - loading with a TMobile logo on boot and a nice trademark little tune to go with it. I basically want to debrand it the most reliable way possible, as long as it does not affect my device in any other way? Please could someone either explain or direct me to a "noob step-by-step" guide.... Thanks in advance.

Instructions are here. Substitute any references to O2 stock firmware with T-Mobile.

Thanks for the help. Just a few questions... Does it make no difference that I have already rooted it first (most do this after I think don't they?), also I have unlocked it, so is this method going to damage the phone because of this, in any way at all? Also.... what code do I enter on the phone, as it only gives the one for 02? Cheers

Does it make no difference that I have already rooted it first

You'll have to re-root, same process as previously (different kernel though, to match the new firmware).

also I have unlocked it, so is this method going to damage the phone because of this, in any way at all?

Hmm, I don't know for sure. Unlocking (removing carrier subsidy lock) certainly wasn't affected by firmware changes with HTC handsets, my only previous experience.

what code do I enter on the phone, as it only gives the one for 02?

You mean the code to display the CSC code? That's not carrier-dependant.

Note: you shouldn't change the actual "sales code" yourself anyway - it should change from your previous carrier CSC to that of the unbranded firmware automatically after a reset.

You'll have to re-root, same process as previously (different kernel though, to match the new firmware).

Hmm, I don't know for sure. Unlocking (removing carrier subsidy lock) certainly wasn't affected by firmware changes with HTC handsets, my only previous experience.

You mean the code to display the CSC code? That's not carrier-dependant.

Note: you shouldn't change the actual "sales code" yourself anyway - it should change from your previous carrier CSC to that of the unbranded firmware automatically after a reset.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. I get the following message when I try the #272# thing (and others I have tried).... "Connection problem or invalid MMI code"

How do I sort this out? What's happened exactly?

Is the above a typo? The correct MMI code is *#272* followed by your IEMI and a final #, all in one string.

Hi mate, nope I have also tried doing that. I'm thinking my phone has been blocked or something! Basically I'm going to go through what I have done and maybe you can see if I have done something wrong. Okay, so since buyinh this I first of all "rooted" the phone, then unlocked it using the "Chainfire" free app (it was on TMobile but I use 3 Mobile), then last of all I attempted doing this flash technique. What's happened? Maybe I haven't unlocked it properly, I never got a code to enter, just 00000000 appeared on the Sim unlock app from ChainFire, but the phone never asked me to enter anything afer inserting the 3 sim card? But I can call people now using my 3 sim card, it seems like there is a poor signal though, no idea what's happened. The unusal thing which pops up is "Conditional call forwarding active" or something along those lines, though it still makes the call.... This it a bit worrying for me, think I have somehow blocked it?

Back
Top Bottom