• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Download

John Carrol

Lurker
Jul 21, 2022
I just got this device. The only website I can access is Yahoo, and I can't use my Hotmail email. Wify connects but I cannot access the web. It says it has the latest firmware update that was put out years ago. Everything else on the phone works, just not internet capabilities. I get server error messages when I try to connect.

I just got this device. The only website I can access is Yahoo, and I can't use my Hotmail email. Wify connects but I cannot access the web. It says it has the latest firmware update that was put out years ago. Everything else on the phone works, just not internet capabilities. I get server error messages when I try to connect.

I think it might be trying to connect to a proxy. But given this phone is over a decade old, and Casio hasn't made any phones for about the same time, that proxy has long gone.

Another problem, according to GSMarena this is a CDMA/EVDO only device, so its not even going to work as a basic phone now. With it been a CDMA phone, that may have something to do with it been unable to show websites, and the server errors. Because some CDMA devices were configured to only connect via a carrier proxy. Sprint called it MSL(Master Subsidy Lock).

I believe Casio wasn't very successful at smart-phones, or games consoles for that matter, and they mainly stuck to making calculators, watches, and digital pianos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies that were informative. Here is my situation. Don't laugh too much, but this is my first Smart Phone. The cellphone I've loved and used for the last 15years + was a 3G Casio GzOne Boulder. As we all know, Verizon is done with 3G this year. My wife and daughter switched to I-phones years ago, but I always wanted to stay away from Apple. I am new to Android and have only very basic Smartphone knowledge. The Verizon store could not activate my Commando and advised me to contact Verizon as a last resort. Verizon did it, no problem. All the cellphone call and text functions work perfectly. The only other thing I was able to do so far was to access my daughter's Yahoo mail account and send an email to my Hotmail. I know this sounds crazy, but I absolutely love this Commando for what I believe was at one time, a quality rugged design. It's like keeping an older vehicle on the road as long as possible for sentimental reasons. Is there any of you out there that still has one of these that are internet capable and can help me? If I can at the very least, make it work with my Hotmail and possibly install the Life 360 App, I will be more than happy. Thanks again, I thought this Commando Forum was long dead.

Upvote 0
If we are talking about C811 (the one capable of 4G LTE), it wasn't released in 2011.

There are two similarly named devices: Casio C711 (G'zOne Commando) and C811 (G'zOne Commando 4G LTE). Even this forum mixes up the details of C771 and C811 (title belongs to C811, photo and description belongs to C771). C811 came out in 2013, and it supports LTE unlike C771, also have better processor and RAM.

Upvote 0
There are some settings I don't understand on my C811. Maybe that is why I can't use its internet capabilities. I'm also going to try to open up a Google email account and try to access it using this Smartphone. Any other ideas I can try from anyone? I'm thinking the problem maybe something simple. Is there anything out there that maybe is more informative than just the user manual?

Upvote 0
Even though I still maintain this device, this should not be your daily driver. Apps including web browsers will simply not run because of older Android version. Google Play store won't load on the Android 4.0 either. Get a newer rugged device and spare your time.
Awesome! Best answer I got so far. Thanks. So you still have one that is operational and still use it to some degree. I don't need to have a smartphone to survive like 99% of you out there. And I will not pay in the end $500 for a basic phone to Verizon when I paid $60 for this used C811 that does 5X what a basic phone does for probably a few more years. I entered this forum to get answers from people, that instead of talking the talk, will share knowledge and possible work arounds to make this phone do what it may be still be capable of doing, even if it is not much anymore. If nothing else, I would like to somehow install and use Life 360 on it. Would it be possible to install that app via USB from a PC?

Upvote 0
If nothing else, I would like to somehow install and use Life 360 on it. Would it be possible to install that app via USB from a PC?

No. Their FAQ says minimum requirements is Android 8.0, which have never been available on this device. Installing the app via USB will fail. Seriously, get a new phone. Also, making newer apps working on this old version of Android or porting a newer Android version to older devices is not a walk in a park.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Wow to you diehard Android patriots! Android really has your backs and best interests in mind! At least Apple will allow you to download and install a new OS in an older Smartphone. I'll survive ok without giving a cent to either.

Only to a certain age. Is it 4 years for iOS devices?

Apple certainly doesn't give you a new OS for iPhones that are a decade old. And I believe Casio quit the smart-phone business in 2013 or 2014, so there's definitely no new OS for their devices. Smart-phone OS updates usually come from the manufacturer, e.g. Casio. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Only to a certain age. Is it 4 years for iOS devices?

Apple certainly doesn't give you a new OS for iPhones that are a decade old. And I believe Casio quit the smart-phone business in 2013 or 2014, so there's definitely no new OS for their devices. Smart-phone OS updates usually come from the manufacturer, e.g. Casio. etc.
I'm sorry. You are correct. I had my basic flip phone so long, I didn't realize that much time went by. It's like me trying to use a Windows ME computer for the internet. My wife has an older I-phone, but it isn't that old. Now I just wonder if somehow it could be flashed with Android 8?

Upvote 0
I'm sorry. You are correct. I had my basic flip phone so long, I didn't realize that much time went by. It's like me trying to use a Windows ME computer for the internet. My wife has an older I-phone, but it isn't that old. Now I just wonder if somehow it could be flashed with Android 8?

Android has to be custom built to run on a particular device. No devs = No fun. And given the very modest specs of this Casio device, I think trying to put Android 8 on it, might be like trying to install and run Windows 10 on an old computer that was designed for Windows ME.

I believe Casio had most of their success with smart-phones was on DoCoMo in Japan, and not so much else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Android has to be custom built to run on a particular device. No devs = No fun. And given the very modest specs of this Casio device, I think trying to put Android 8 on it, might be like trying to install and run Windows 10 on an old computer that was designed for Windows ME.

I believe Casio had most of their success with smart-phones was on DoCoMo in Japan, and not so much else.
Ok, I understand. Up until yesterday, I thought I could use the few nice things that still work with this Commando, I did not have in my previous basic 3G phone for at least a few years, because it is a 4G phone. I got a letter from Verizon yesterday telling me that because it doesn't have VoLTE, it will also be junk after Dec.31

Reactions: ad_rai
Upvote 0
I got a letter from Verizon yesterday telling me that because it doesn't have VoLTE, it will also be junk after Dec.31

Also, VoLTE is not a feature that a custom rom or someone else than Casio can add, as it needs to be implemented on the baseband separately from either Android or iOS. Don't complain to your operator, in case here Verizon, for this as they can basically do nothing in this regard.

Upvote 0
I don't regret having and using this Commando for the short time from now until the end of the year that it will at least basically work as a phone until then. It helps me decide what I want in my next phone that will be a smartphone. The problem is now that at least one feature is not available. An easily replaceable battery which I can probably live with. Another is charging. I like the idea of a charging dock or wireless. I looked countless times at the Verizon upgrade phones and the only one I may consider is the Palm one. It seems like the reviews are ok. I prefer buying a phone outright vs monthly payments. Even a used one. I like the smaller size phones without all the bells and whistles. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones