• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Force The Bug Fix Update

I tried to do this procedure and it seemed to have worked.
it said I had an update, said it was going to restart the phone and that it would take about 10 minutes once it rebooted (only took about 1-2 minutes) it just turned on normal with no changes (did not update) any ideas?

Mine does the same. That is why I called to see if/when this is going to happen for my phone. Not luck

Upvote 0
To Force The Samsung Bug Fix Update Follow These Simple Instructions:

Assumptions :
  • You are using the STOCK ROM. BH_MAN's Hybrid ROM will not work as Device Management is DISABLED. I can't speak to the GALAXY ROM so to be safe ODIN back to Stock.
  • You're battery is above 50%
  • You have a Solid Signal (3g seems to be required)
  • You Are Using the TWLauncher home screen - You can not be using a different home screen.
Steps:
  1. If you dont already have AnyCut, Download and install it from the Market Place
  2. Long Press an empty spot on your desktop
  3. Select Shortcut from the context menu
  4. Select AnyCut as the ShortcutType
  5. Select Activity from the AnyCut shortcut type
  6. Select Device Management from the list of Activities
  7. You can rename the short cut if you want to, but it's not necessary
  8. Click "OK" - the short cut should be created on your desktop
  9. Click the short cut to launch Device Manager
  10. Select Start DM
  11. You should immediately see a pair of red and blue arrows in the top left corner of the screen - these are in a different location than the usual "Getting Information" arrows that appear more towards the middle of the top of the screem
  12. After a minute or so you should be prompted to install the update.
  13. If the arrows disappear and you are not notified of an update proceed with step 14
  14. While still in Device Management - hit Menu then select Software Update
  15. 1 Hour should be selected - hit "OK"
  16. You should now see a clock next to the arrow icons in the top left corner of the screen.
  17. Reboot the phone.
  18. After restarting open Device Management using the desktop shortcut.
  19. Select Start DM
  20. This should now initiate the update.
ENJOY!

Dont you think some credit should go here they started this last night?
euph_22
Hello, my name is .......

Device(s):

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugjedi91
I just got the update and I think I may have forced it going threw this thread( OTA Firmware URIs Found - Work still needed ) I saw that the file was hosted and then downloaded it then used anycut from the market to open the device management and clicked start dm then I noticed the red and blue arrows minutes later I got the notification and boom update plz someone try it and tell me if this works P

I made an anycut shortcut to device management, clicked start dm. 5 minutes later, it's now installing. I didn't need to download anything beforehand.

user_offline.gif

Upvote 0
Absolutely correct, it wasn't my intention to pose that this was my original idea I was refining and augmenting the documentation and work of others. In my hurry to post clear and concise directions that were easy to find I neglected to give credit.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Upvote 0
Because the procedure doesn't work

Well, I would say a more accurate assessement is that we don't know why in some cases it does and some cases it doesn't. I can confirm that it works since those steps were written as I performed them and it resulted in my phone being updated. I also believe there are people who followed the instructions and posted that it worked for them. Clearly there is an unknown parameter here, but I don't believe it is correct to flatly state it "doesn't work".

K

Upvote 0
I had not received the update yet, so I gave this a try. After fighting with re-enabling TWHome (I was using Pandahome), I did a factory reset. From there, I followed the directions as posted and it worked! Thanks for your hard work and research everyone!

<edit>
Err uh, it looked like it update, but I still have the same kernel. When running DM, it said there was a new update, asked if I wanted to install, then asked to reboot and everything went according to the directions.

Still showing Kernel version 2.6.27 behold2@sep-01 #1
Build number:
76XXCSDCBALUM6375

(also no Where's Waldo/new apps on the launcher).

Any one else have a false positive like this?

<re-edit>
Well, according to this thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-behold-2/49820-how-tell-if-youve-gotten-update.html

You will see the PDA; Phone; and Software Version numbers in this section
The T939xxxx6 for PDA AND PHONE and then
Software Version - ending in .006 on the last line.
I do have that version listed when following the directions to check in that thread. Maybe a reboot would put those new apps on the menu.

Upvote 0
I got a false positive too so I completely flashed back to stock since I had on flashed back to factory after rooting, but it didn't and in the pointless apps I deleted in the past. Hopefully it'll work this time I guess we'll see. I will post an update whether it works or doesn't. Seems to me it's not a matter of the instructions working or not working and more a matter of for whatever reason some people are getting updates and others aren't no matter what we try.

So thank you to anyone who was involved in any of the threads and forums that are trying to help the rest of us get the update.

To the rest that seems to get all pissed off and do nothing but bitch about other posters, their phone, tmobile, google, samsung, try to grow up a little. If you get that bent out of shape over a phone or an update I would hate to see how you handle the rest of your life.

Reactions: chadmd23
Upvote 0
Thanks for this! As a note, this will work using a Wi-Fi network in the place of a 3G network. That's how I ran it.

This was sadly a necessity for me as I bought the phone on ebay, had it shipped to Canada, unlocked it, and am using it on the Fido network where the radios can't see the 3G Network. When Wind Mobile launches here, which runs on all the same frequencies as T-Mobile, I should have beautiful 3G (which was the plan all along)!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones