• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Force The Bug Fix Update

So I was able to initiate the update on my wifes phone. After switching to TWLauncher I could initiate the Device Management, but the arrows stopped after only a few seconds. I then set the update to start in an hour (while in Device Management hit menu then Software Update, 1 Hour should be selected, hit ok) and then rebooted the phone. At this point there was a clock as part of the Arrow Icons in the top let corner. When the phone completed rebooting the clock/arrow icon was there again. I started Device Management using the desktop shortcut and about 30 seconds later I was notified I had an update to install. I will update the OP with this...

Upvote 0
So I was able to initiate the update on my wifes phone. After switching to TWLauncher I could initiate the Device Management, but the arrows stopped after only a few seconds. I then set the update to start in an hour (while in Device Management hit menu then Software Update, 1 Hour should be selected, hit ok) and then rebooted the phone. At this point there was a clock as part of the Arrow Icons in the top let corner. When the phone completed rebooting the clock/arrow icon was there again. I started Device Management using the desktop shortcut and about 30 seconds later I was notified I had an update to install. I will update the OP with this...

Let us know if you run into the same problem as me and chad

Upvote 0
Its not working for me either. :( I got to the arrow and clock. Pressed DM from shortcut, select start DM and it said "DM session working, etc" Been 15mins. No prompted update. Running on Production setting and over 3G network. Do i have to download the OTA file and dump it somewhere?

I'm sure that wont work. DM is just a client program that talks to a server back at HQ. Since they are doing the update via IMEI numbers, if you aren't on the list yet, DM won't do anything. As its been said many times, call Tmo and have them check your IMEI number. Also reported in another post, it seems if you can get to a high enough level rep, they have access to DM and can push the update.

Upvote 0
AHHH, I have the answer, be SURE you are using the TWLauncher and not a third party Home screen...

Finally, something is working - I think this was the key. Add in a reboot or two, I finally got DM working (not the stupid "not initialized" message) and I got the arrows/clock icon. Hope I actually get the dang update now! Thanks to everyone who helped figure this out.

EDIT: Nope, no update yet ... Maybe sometime in April? They must be pushing updates to about 3 phones per day. I did get the false alarm situation, where it tells me there's an update that will install, then it reboots and there's no update.

Upvote 0
Finally, something is working - I think this was the key. Add in a reboot or two, I finally got DM working (not the stupid "not initialized" message) and I got the arrows/clock icon. Hope I actually get the dang update now! Thanks to everyone who helped figure this out.

EDIT: Nope, no update yet ... Maybe sometime in April? They must be pushing updates to about 3 phones per day. I did get the false alarm situation, where it tells me there's an update that will install, then it reboots and there's no update.

Is anyone reading my posts? After reading all of yours, I'm coming to the conclusion that we cannot force an update.

Upvote 0
Is anyone reading my posts? After reading all of yours, I'm coming to the conclusion that we cannot force an update.

Agreed, (and yes, did read all), but based on the experiences of others I thought this might be worth a try - for example, maybe I had somehow missed the update because my battery was too low, or not in 3G, or whatever. I'm just impatient, and since nobody seems to know what the hell is actually going on, I'm willing to expend a little effort to see if I can get the dang thing updated! I've begun to think that, as far this whole charlie foxtrot is concerned, ignorance would be bliss.

Upvote 0
Agreed, (and yes, did read all), but based on the experiences of others I thought this might be worth a try - for example, maybe I had somehow missed the update because my battery was too low, or not in 3G, or whatever. I'm just impatient, and since nobody seems to know what the hell is actually going on, I'm willing to expend a little effort to see if I can get the dang thing updated! I've begun to think that, as far this whole charlie foxtrot is concerned, ignorance would be bliss.

As has been reported, have you called to have you IMEI number checked? Maybe ask if they can push the update to the phone? If they dont know what you are talking about, ask if you can be transferred to the android/smartphone department and ask again. Some high level reps have access to the DM backend, well I'm going off of one users experience of having the update pushed to the phone while on call with a rep.

Upvote 0
As has been reported, have you called to have you IMEI number checked? Maybe ask if they can push the update to the phone? If they dont know what you are talking about, ask if you can be transferred to the android/smartphone department and ask again. Some high level reps have access to the DM backend, well I'm going off of one users experience of having the update pushed to the phone while on call with a rep.

That may be the next step - I did call a few days ago when the IMEI tip started floating around; I read off my IMEI to the rep, and she confirmed that I had the B2, then started going into a standard spiel about the update process. The call got cut off at that point, and I didn't call back b/c I knew what she was going to say and my main purpose was to make sure they had the right IMEI. I don't suppose it would hurt to double check, I guess, but I may be best off at this point just avoiding the forums and trying to forget that there is an update going around. Then again, all this tinkering is a good way to learn more about the phone (and android) :cool:

Upvote 0
I just called, got tossed between a few teams, but the last one took my number and said they would call back when they had a real answer.

When you speak to them, make sure to let them know that it was supposed to be the 28th & it's been a week so you would have gotten the update in the weekly update. I also mentioned that I had a few bugs that are fixed in the update (vibration, sd card, etc)

I'm going to call back in the afternoon, and may pull out the get a Droid card to see if they can elevate it before I leave. (I'm off contract.)

Upvote 0
I just talked to a TMO rep. and they said that they cannot push the update or can tell when and if my IMEI was sent the update. It comes on googles end and there is nobody, in their "highest level support" that I reached, that can help push the update. She also stated that google sent some updates out accidentally and that is why some may have got it.

Upvote 0
I just talked to a TMO rep. and they said that they cannot push the update or can tell when and if my IMEI was sent the update. It comes on googles end and there is nobody, in their "highest level support" that I reached, that can help push the update. She also stated that google sent some updates out accidentally and that is why some may have got it.

That rep is so far off, I'm not even going to try to explain exactly what is wrong with what they said.

Upvote 0

Hm...got that somewhat same BS from tmobile rep. She said theres no way she can check my IMEI # to see if its match and that they have no ability to do a push update to my phone. Should I call again and ask for supervisor or something?

Upvote 0
Hm...got that somewhat same BS from tmobile rep. She said theres no way she can check my IMEI # to see if its match and that they have no ability to do a push update to my phone. Should I call again and ask for supervisor or something?

Let me clarify a bit, the fact that google was mentioned was false, they are not involved in this process at all. It was a fix designed by Samsung and delivered by TMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones