• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root how to root OTA 2.3.4 Gingerbread 4.5.91

Does Gingerbreak still work with the latest update?

No. You have to flash a hacked SBF file with a renamed su file in it. Then use some adb magic to make root work. The issue, it also unlocks the bootloader, so if you do not want to do that, at this time you cannot root gingerbread. Ok time to add a new note to the main sticky

Reactions: evilbastard
Upvote 0
No. You have to flash a hacked SBF file with a renamed su file in it. Then use some adb magic to make root work. The issue, it also unlocks the bootloader, so if you do not want to do that, at this time you cannot root gingerbread. Ok time to add a new note to the main sticky

Thanks, I have the SDK loaded, and have used adb before so maybe I will give it a try.

Upvote 0

How To: Motorola Atrix 4G Root - BriefMobile

i didn't have to unlock to root mine.

Reactions: james27007
Upvote 0
So your bootloader is not unlocked?

I used the preinstall on XDA instead of the brief mobile, but I believe they both use basically the same method of achiving root.

In my case, I have never unlocked my bootloader. All of my updates have been OTA (or downloading the update from Motorola an copying to SD card, which accomplishes the same as downloading it OTA).

I previously had root with the aRoot script (running the beforeupdate and afterupdate scripts to keep Root/SU after updates). That stopped working with .91, so I used the preinstall method on XDA, and it worked fine. I have root again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones