• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to tether your VM Intercept

Patricky

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
OK, I got a Virgin Mobile Intercept a few days ago, and have been tinkering quite a bit. Here's what I found out:

The driver from the Samsung website, as in:
Samsung

works just fine. Note that may be specific to the VM version, rather than sprint - I haven't checked that out.

However, that driver is fine, and works with easytether (more on that later). If all you want is to get to the SD card, this works for me. It works with OR without USB debugging turned on. You do have to "mount" the SD card (and then it is unavailable to the phone) (see above for instructions on mounting). This works with the skinny little USB cable I got with the phone.

Now, if you want to tether (use your phone as an Internet connection), the is a simple process. Well, it's simple if you've tried about 50 different things. This is on XP Pro SP3.

First, leave the phone unconnected.
Second, install the Samsung drivers above to your PC.
Third, install easytether.
Fourth, on your phone, enable USB debugging.
Fifth, plug your phone into USB port on computer.
Now it's going to find about 6 new "hardware devices"; the phone, the ADB driver, USB harddrive, etc. You should see both the USB Connection icon, as well as the USB Debugging icon on the phone (upper left).

It will probably work at that point. You should see a new network interface under "Network Devices" - it will probably just have a number. You should see an option on the Easytether app in the system tray that says "Connect to Android (your MAC address).

However, AND THIS IS THE GOTCHA, if you unplug the phone you cannot just plug it back in. You should unplug the Intercept, reboot it, and plug it back in. Once you unplug from easytether, it won't reconnect. I have also had success with stopping easytether, restarting it, and plugging back in - that works for me. I get (in San Francisco) about 1 Mb/sec download speed.

Hope all this helps (and maybe it's specific to the VM version - may work with Sprint, maybe not). This is my first post to this forum - I just wanted to share several days of work and frustration. Sorry for the dupe post in another (Sprint?) topic.

Best,
Patrick

Reactions: Shanodex and dewan
Hey,

You get 1Mb/s in SF? Really? I get like 20-40KB/s normally when I use it in SF. Do you have screenshots showing such a high transfer rate? If you download a file off Download.com, for example, it really shows 1Mb (~115KB)/s?

I found Pdanet to be faster but it didnt always stay on, so i stuck with the slower easytether. I wish i could get your speeds.. i dont even get that for phone downloads! And we're both in the bay area....... hmmmmm.....

Upvote 0
Probably already known, but I have Windows 7(64bit) and just started using PDANET to tether my phone. Works fine. Its wired, but not a huge deal, my computer is a desktop.

I get shitty signal in my house so the internet isn't great.. but.

My house had NO internet before. And as nice as it was being able to be connected again through my phone this is amazing.

(Sorry had to gush a little. I am so excited!)

Upvote 0
... have the intercepts upgraded to the 2.2 software yet? ...

To the best of my knowledge, Sprint started pushing out over-the-air updates to their Samsung Intercepts. According to this thread, and this tweet from Virgin Mobile, Virgin Mobile won't be pushing updates out until Spring of this year.

Welcome to the forums! I am very positive that this forum will make your Android experience better! I know it has for me! :)

Sorry about that... Back to the subject at hand here... Didn't mean to interrupt.

Upvote 0
To the best of my knowledge, Sprint started pushing out over-the-air updates to their Samsung Intercepts. According to this thread, and this tweet from Virgin Mobile, Virgin Mobile won't be pushing updates out until Spring of this year.

Welcome to the forums! I am very positive that this forum will make your Android experience better! I know it has for me! :)

Sorry about that... Back to the subject at hand here... Didn't mean to interrupt.

**off topic**

thank you :D

Upvote 0
barnacle wifi tether
searh it on market
requires root
if you have problems with the version your downloaded fromthe market
try the legacy version on the authors website

it works with all devices that can connect to an adhocnetwork
such as
xbox360, ps3, pc's
stuff like the nintendo wii cant connect to adhoc :(

pdanet is kinda slow for me i like pdanet
but i like barnacle better

oh i forget
if you dont want to mod your phone (like youdont want to instll a custom kernel)
you can get a temp root (it goes away when the phone resets)
this will alow you to run aapp that requires root without making any modifacations to your phone

if i dont make sense or i sound stupid
its cause im a noob
just trying to help so dont kill me lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones