• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to use a nandroid backup

GoCrew

I am relatively new to ROMS and the like. I have read quite a bit and I feel like I have a decent grasp of flashing. The one thing I can't seem to find is how to use a nandroid backup to restore.

I have created backups and verified them via AFV. However in the event I want to go back, how do I use them? Can someone link me to a guide or is it pretty self explanatory? I would guess that you do the standard preflash wipes and then you go ahead and go into the recovery menu and flash, but I am not sure.

Thanks!

I guess you're talking about backups that you make before you flash a new ROM?

I would guess that you do the standard preflash wipes and then you go ahead and go into the recovery menu and flash

If so, then you're correct... go to backup/restore and restore, rather than backing up :)

A nandroid backup is the backup you make of your ROM/entire system in a custom recoveries backup option.
To restore this backup you must:
A. Wipe data/factory reset.
B. Wipe cache partition.
C. Wipe dalvik cache(advanced section)
Now that your rooted, YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET IN THE PRIVACY MENU ON THE PHONE . This will mess up your phone and require a PC and much gnashing of your teeth, and possible loss of some system functionality.
D. Go to mounts and storage. Select format boot,system,data,and cache.
E. Go to backup and restore. Choose the restore option. Pick the nandroid you want to restore (they have a Date/Time stamp).

Are some of those steps carried out automatically by the Recovery? All I did the last time I restored a nandroid was boot into Recovery (I use the Cannibal one) and follow the prompts to pick the nandroid I wanted to use. The user guide for Cannibal didn't indicate that any preparatory steps were required, so I figured it would handle whatever needed to be done. It seemed to work fine; haven't had any problems with the restored ROM.

I think the Cannibal recovery has some auto scripts, but I don't know to what degree. The Cannibal recovery still has a few bugs (Doesn't install some zip files, and you can't restore a nandroid from another recovery, or restore a nandroid from it with another recovery).
The steps I outlined just make sure that everything is wiped completely so there is no residual data left to corrupt the nandroid or a new ROM (especially the CM7 and CM9 ROM's).

Back
Top Bottom