• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HP Touchpad Not Charging.

It boots into the same rom it always did when you turned it on. For 99% of us, it would be CM, but some people change it to be webOS to prevent bricking from a low battery.

You will want to use your stock charger (the cylindrically-shaped one) and the stock cable with the silver disk on the tablet end when it's done (assuming both are in good condition).

You must of got a different stock cable than I got, mine has a silver disk on both ends.:D

Upvote 0
We both have stock cables with a round, silver disc on both connectors of the usb cable.

I thought it was on one end, but NT corrected me in saying it's on both ends. If you have the original cable, you have the same thing. Nothing new here. :D

hp-touch-pad-usb-power-charger-accessory.jpg

1354046615475.jpg

Upvote 0
...that was funny...

FWIW, and in defense of faeq00, infact, I believe, there were distributions of OEM chargers and cables where the cables did not have round silver discs on both ends...

I am an owner of such a charger and cable, and I'd take a picture of it if you guys really needed to see it. No disc on either end.

Upvote 0
Between my two TP's and two spare chargers I got when HP blew them out for $5 each, and a dozen or so friends who own TP's, I've never seen one that did not have the silver disk on both ends to indicate proper orientation of the plug.

Maybe our friend from Missouri would like to see a picture. :D

Upvote 0
I picked up two TP, one 32 gb, the other 16 gb and paid close to $500 for the pair (no fire sale for me), because I was a late adopter and want to upgrade from the 7" Nook Colors we both had. The 3 "bricked" 32 gb tablets I picked up did not have chargers so I picked up several on fleeBay for about $8 each (I think). AFAIK, all of them have the disk on both ends, but I still have 3 boxes I did not open. Oh yeah, I think I still have at lease one touchstone charger still in the box. :D

Reactions: stef7
Upvote 0
There is a good change that your battery charge state if very low. Once Debricking finishes, your TouchPad may need to sit on the wall charger for a while, but one the battery reaches a safe state, they TP will boot up and like MD said, it will boot to CM10. So be patient and let things take their course.
Unfortunately the debrick did not work

Got to the following point:

checking doc files ...
extracting doc files ...
Incorrect QDL mode found.
Please hold Power+Home+VolumeDown for 20-30 secs, then retry.
Aborted.
Tried the Power+Home+VolumeDown for 20-30 secs several times - but same result.:(

Help........

MD

Upvote 0
well, it's probable that the source l purchased from bundled non-OEM cables with OEM chargers. I know the cable that came with mine is thick and of high-quality and the few times I've used it, I've had no problem, but I strictly use my Touchstone now anyway.

Touchstone is the way to go. BTW, I've determined there is a disc on a touchstone cord that plugs into the adapter. Should have checked before. This yields additional credibility to your assertion about it being a physical attribute of an OEM cable. My bad. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the debrick did not work

Got to the following point:

Tried the Power+Home+VolumeDown for 20-30 secs several times - but same result.:(

Help........

MD

All you can do is try it again and again.

This forum isn't going to be much help, rootzwiki is. That's where people that have done it and had your problem, will be found. TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki

Upvote 0
well, it's probable that the source l purchased from bundled non-OEM cables with OEM chargers. I know the cable that came with mine is thick and of high-quality and the few times I've used it, I've had no problem, but I strictly use my Touchstone now anyway.

Touchstone is the way to go. BTW, I've determined there is a disc on a touchstone cord that plugs into the adapter. Should have checked before. This yields additional credibility to your assertion about it being a physical attribute of an OEM cable. My bad. :smokingsomb:

There were two versions of the Touchpad, Home and Business. The Business comes with a really heavy nice USB cable, the Home comes with the cheaper flimsy cable. Which is funny because in my thinking the home is likely to suffer more abuse than the business so to me that idea is backwards. but there is nothing special about the Touchpad cables themselves any good quality cable should work, same for the chargers.

Upvote 0
Not all 2 amp chargers are the same. My Asus transformer charger doesn't charge at two amps on my TP, even using the TP cable. You can use jcsullin's charger app to check various cables and chargers (assuming your device is operational): Goo.im Downloads - Browsing apps

Yeah, hence "good quality". There will always be variables. But the whole "only use our stuff" is because they can charge an arm and a leg comparatively and make money on the after sale purchases. HP has always been notorious for it. Like telling people that only their RAM will work in their units, or even saying only the replacement processors they sell will work in their PCs. According to HP the PC I am using now can't possibly exist. LOL

Upvote 0
Yeah, hence "good quality". There will always be variables. But the whole "only use our stuff" is because they can charge an arm and a leg comparatively and make money on the after sale purchases....

Totally not the case with the Touchpad,
the accessories were damn near free for almost 3 months after the firesale.
Only the Touchstone remained near full price for some time. I got the plug in chargers for $5.00 and the covers and sleeves for around $2 - 5 directly from HP. http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/hp-touchpad-accessories/40830.aspx

Upvote 0
Totally not the case with the Touchpad,
the accessories were damn near free for almost 3 months after the firesale.
Only the Touchstone remained near full price for some time. I got the plug in chargers for $5.00 and the covers and sleeves for around $2 - 5 directly from HP. Best HP TouchPad Accessories Sale [Folio Case $5 | Charger $5 | Sleeve $2] Deals & Coupons | LogicBUY

I was speaking generally about the idea that only their accessories will work and why companies, particularly HP, do that. The Touchpad was closed out so of course they dumped stock cheap and you can still get OEM pretty cheap as well.

Upvote 0
I'll keep this short. Because of the way HP designed the TouchPad and the charger system, most other chargers will only charge at 500mA which is just barely enough to trickle charge a TouchPad.

You can use Battery Monitor Widget to see the exact charge rate that a charger is charging the TouchPad at. J.C.'s app only gives you the general rate of the charger, such as the HP wallcharger is 2000mA, the TouchStone is 1400mA and connected to a PC will show 500mA.

When my TP is down to 20% or less, BMW shows the charge rate at somewhere over 1800mA. That starts to decease the closer the battery get to a full charge.

Upvote 0
All you can do is try it again and again.

This forum isn't going to be much help, rootzwiki is. That's where people that have done it and had your problem, will be found. TPDebrick v004 - HP Touchpad - RootzWiki
Well I've been wading through that massive thread, but struggling to find a resolution to the following:
Writing 1024 bytes to 0x2a028000; 1156 bytes left.
Writing 1024 bytes to 0x2a028400; 132 bytes left.
Writing 132 bytes to 0x2a028800; 0 bytes left.
Executing file...
Checking QDL mode...
Writing file tz.mbn ...
Sending MAGIC...
MSG: Qfprom Fuse List: Blowing FAILED
MSG: Failed Fuse addr:
MSG: 0x00000000
MSG: Error Status:
MSG: 0x00000000
Sending secureMode...
Sending openMulti ...
MSG: Open multi failed, unknown error
ERROR: Open multi failed, unknown error
Invalid openMulti response.
Cannot write file tz.mbn
Aborted.
I see others are also getting this, but no real fix.

(BTW Tried to get to a login prompt on the Rootzwiki on my PC - but can't seem to see one. Tried firefox and Chrome on Win8 PC. Known issue??)

Upvote 0
Well I've been wading through that massive thread, but struggling to find a resolution to the following:

I see others are also getting this, but no real fix.

(BTW Tried to get to a login prompt on the Rootzwiki on my PC - but can't seem to see one. Tried firefox and Chrome on Win8 PC. Known issue??)

If you are using the correct version of Ubuntu the best guess is bad emmc hardware. jc has mentioned it in his posts on Rootzwiki as well. If you do a search on XDA there are other Qualcomm devices that use a similar debrick tool with the same/similar error on some units. Search there or Google qualcomm emmc brick fix. Not sure if any of those would work for you but at least if you can't find anything else to look for or try.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
This is an OLD thread, but I have some additional info, and solution for some people...
I've been trying to get my dead TP working again for over a week and I've tried every combination of buttons and chargers mentioned in every thread. The only thing I didn't try yet was the debrick option.
What I just discovered, which worked for me, is I tried plugging in a battery charger instead of just the AC adapter. In my case, it's a KMASHI 10,000ma charger and I used the 2.1amp output. A couple minutes after I plugged it in, my cylon light started flashing and about half an hour later, the TP booted up.
Just thought if anyone has tried everything else and didn't want to run the debrick job, a battery charger might work!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones