• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC 10 - how to PERMANENTLY disable Nougat 7.0 update

Ben2121

Lurker
Apr 10, 2017
My HTC 10 has Android OS, v6.0.1, and I NEVER want it to be updated to Nougat 7.0 (intentionally or unintentionally), because I have a app that only works on v6.0.1.

Is there a way for me to PERMANENTLY DISABLE the update so my phone ALWAYS remains with Android OS, v6.0.1?

Also if by accident it got updated to Nougat 7.0 - is there a way for me to revert it back to OS, v6.0.1?

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Thank you

If you've unlocked the bootloader and installed a custom recovery then no official update will install. If you haven't, then unlocking the bootloader will do a factory reset (just warning in case you are tempted to rush out and do it).

Reverting is not easy.

It should not "accidentally" update, and you should be able to just turn off the option to automatically download updates (in which case you should never be bothered by them unless you check manually). Unless you have the misfortune to own one sold through a US carrier - some of those corporations modify the software of phones so that you cannot decline updates, never mind disabling checking.

Upvote 0
Thank you for replying.

I don't know anything about bootloaders or installing custom recovery - where could I find out about doing this? (I'm a complete novice).

Also if I do as you suggest, could a user manually update it? I NEVER want it updated, manually or otherwise.

The phone will be rooted for my app to work, does this have any hindrance or influence on your suggestion to stop updates?

Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones