• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC and Tom Tom

sparky7474

Nov 6, 2009
OS I was doing some poking around on HTC website and I notice that TOm Tom cut a deakl with HTC, looks like the new phones will be getting Tom Tom Navigation when the buy one of the new desire phone. Does anyne know if the Evo might have the option. No disrespect to Sprint or google, but I would prefer to use Tom Tom nav app. Anyone have any clue? Or will that be part of Gingerbread?

Maybe Garmin can step in too? Unlimited different nav apps for all!

I doubt that the Evo couldn't handle TomTom software, but you might be loosing a significant amount of your sd card to map storage. The main obstacle I see is profit. With 2 competent nav apps already included on the phone, I have strong doubts that there would be enough users willing to pay enough for the app to cover development much less profit. If the current trend toward "free" included nav with smartphones continues, I can't see long term viability for companies like TomTom and Garmin in their current business model.

I bought a Garmin 765T (cheap) to replace a older Pharos model shortly before buying my Evo. I had tried using the Moment for nav in the past, but small screen, slow performance, low audio and poor gps performance prevented it from being anything more than an emergency fill in for a real nav. After using both the Garmin and Evo for nav side by side (google nav for the Evo), I found that for me, the Evo was the superior navigator. Traffic is similar as is routing, audio and GPS sensitivity. The Evo integrates better with the my address book (no bt necessary) and is way better for poi's. Having voice to text and street view upon arrival are killer features. The Garmin is simpler to use, will work without data and has more natural sounding voice, but the Evo whips its butt in route recalculation speed. Needless to say, even at the Garmins really low price, the Evo's included nav is the better "buy" for me. I've also used TomTom's extensively in the past and not being enamored with TomTom's celebrity voices, I prefer Garmins software to TomTom's, but YMMV .

Upvote 0
I'll pass on for-pay nav apps unless they signficantly outperform Google and Sprint navs, and include unlimited, lifetime map updates.

These nav companies are smartly getting out of the device business and focusing on software solutions. They don't realize that in doing this though, they're now competing directly against services that people are willing to accept compromises from in exchange for free.

I have a Garmin right now that keeps telling me my maps are old. I don't care. There aren't any new/major road changes that justify the high new map cost. In addition, anything new does come up on my Evo/Sprint included nav choices.

Upvote 0
I'll pass on for-pay nav apps unless they signficantly outperform Google and Sprint navs, and include unlimited, lifetime map updates.

These nav companies are smartly getting out of the device business and focusing on software solutions. They don't realize that in doing this though, they're now competing directly against services that people are willing to accept compromises from in exchange for free.

I have a Garmin right now that keeps telling me my maps are old. I don't care. There aren't any new/major road changes that justify the high new map cost. In addition, anything new does come up on my Evo/Sprint included nav choices.

but there might be a time... you are in a bad service area....
or
out in the middle of no-where... and you cant get any signal...

these are the times.. lost or worried... low gas....
you wished you had a solution that would work without any cell service.

for those in usa.... copilot is very good.... and is on sale for $5 till xmas.
This is cheap compared to others at $30 - $70.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones