• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire - Internal Memory Capacity Issue

I don't know if this has already been covered, but if you are running a HTC Desire with Sense and are using the HTC Mail program, make sure you check your "Sent" and "Trash" Folders, and delete emails in those folders, as I hadn't realised they wouldn't be automatically culled / deleted and once I deleted approximately 250+ emails, I freed up nearly 35mb of internal memory!

Might sound obvious, but I missed it!

Ben

Reactions: huddie
Upvote 0
Offence none taken. I do understand what you are saying. What I am saying is the difference between ROM and RAM (mind you, there are different memory types and their characteristics).

I am referring ROM as in Firmware ROM, one whose data can be upgraded with special software (downloaded either from HTC or Google) in order to upgrade/fix any bugs or enhancements to the Desire handset (Android v2.2, etc).

I am referring RAM as in either internal RAM or external RAM (microSD card). Now, both can retain their data, even if switched off. This is because they are Flash RAMs, which is completely different to those type of RAM used inside your PC (Flash RAM vs. Volatile RAM).

The point is, if HTC Desire has 512Mb ROM and 574Mb RAM. From the layman's point of view, this appears as if the firmware's in 512Mb ROM, and there's apps and spaces in the 574Mb RAM. And the layman would "see" that there is microSD slot, that can take up to 32Gb. Now, why, I ask, can't this be 'treated' as if I got 512Mb ROM, 32.575Gb RAM?

I am not sure if you get my drift here? I just want to be able to download, either few big apps or as many apps, as well as music, photos, videos, in that 32Gb microSD card (which would be a doddle).

Limiting to 574Mb for apps, does make you wonder of its limitations, when compared with others like the iPhone. Why can't we save apps in that 32Gb card?

Sorry for this long text, but thought perhaps a little explanation might help you see what I am trying to say?

Oh, I don't like iPhone, cos there is no sense of 'individuality' with that phone. Everytime I see someone using a iPhone, there's this boring black background with tiles (apps icons). Android is a breath of fresh air. You can customise to your heart's contents. Big clock, widgets, live wallpaper, and the lot - it's simply magical.

Cheers.
RAM= Random Access Memory.
And the only thing that is close enough to ram is SWAP.
Yes you can partition your sdcard and create swap partition on it.
But in no case you can't ever put some data in that memory with any file manager, because only the system can use that memory and randomly store and read only the temporarily data of the running applications. And I'm posting this so late, but you tore my nerves to pieces, when I read this.
And rom is Read Only Memory.
But translated into mobile smartphone language this is the Internal Storage Memory.
And both of the Android OS and your presonal data are stored in the same memory.
But that nand-flash memory is partitioned to several partitions.
take a look under:
/dev/block/
And you will find your answer.
there are several partitions mounted on several different directories.
/sytem/ - the android system
/cache/ - the android cache
/data/ - the android data - including your personal internal data storage and the application data storage. the one you can see in settings. And the only one you can use to install applications. in froyo and abouve you can move apps on sdcard. and with dta2sd you can partition your sdcard with ext partition and move the apps in there.
/dev/ - tmpfs ramdisk - temporaly mounted ramdisk (remounting each reboot)
/boot/ - the android kernel
/recovery/ the android recovery mod. - where you can perform wipe - factory reset or backup your rom.
And etc.
And to let you know why do they mess the iternal memory with rom memory.
ROM is the Android it self. - Or firmware as they call it.
In general from /system/ , /recovery/ , /boot/ even /data/, without super user permissions, you can only read the data stored in it.
you have only the user have only access to /data/apps/, /data/apps-private/ and in some android roms /data/userdata/ - personal internal memory for storing personal data like images, videos, music and etc. or something like that, depending of the device manufacture.
So please start googling around before asking a stupid questions.
And giving even more stupid answers!
Golden rule.
Never ask something before you try to find the answer without making any questions.
And if you can't find any answer, well be polite and ask a regular question, and please never try to piss off somebody with your ignorance.

Upvote 0
I am another user with HTC desire and low memory

I have cleared the cache. I have moved as much as possible to SD card.

On looking with "Diskusage" I see that Contacts storage takes 30Mb and maps 9.37Mb

Is there a quick way to reduce the contact storage size?

Thanks
30MB seems too much.
I would backup my contacts, clear the contacts storage and restore them again.

Upvote 0
I am another user with HTC desire and low memory

I have cleared the cache. I have moved as much as possible to SD card.

On looking with "Diskusage" I see that Contacts storage takes 30Mb and maps 9.37Mb

Is there a quick way to reduce the contact storage size?

Thanks

While I was meant to be working I was looking at the Accounts and Sync page. I discovered that Facebook was listed even tho I do not use it. I discovered that my daughter had used my phone for Facebook. Once I stopped the sync I found that my contacts went down in size to 18.8Mb. I now have 25.7Mb free space according to "Diskusage" and the low memory warning has gone

TP

Upvote 0
I only show 15Mb available memory, and I have hardly any apps downloaded, those that are possible I have moved to SD card. The largest install I have is Twitter at 17Mb, contacts follow at 12Mb. I don't think that this storage is adequate by current standards :( Certainly I didn't realise that the system would take up 75% of the available memory. I'm not anything close to technical, just want to make use of the functionality of this phone.

Upvote 0
I only show 15Mb available memory, and I have hardly any apps downloaded, those that are possible I have moved to SD card. The largest install I have is Twitter at 17Mb, contacts follow at 12Mb. I don't think that this storage is adequate by current standards :( Certainly I didn't realise that the system would take up 75% of the available memory. I'm not anything close to technical, just want to make use of the functionality of this phone.

Couldn't agree with you more, massive oversight by HTC which has been fixed by all newer phones.
A lot of us were in the same boot so have rooted and flashed ROMs that allow us to use a chunk of the SD card as internal memory.
Have a look at Suroot's guides about Rooting and flashing and feel free to ask any technical questions on here (suroot is one of the resident geniuses when it comes to rooting :) )

Upvote 0
Couldn't agree with you more, massive oversight by HTC which has been fixed by all newer phones.
A lot of us were in the same boot so have rooted and flashed ROMs that allow us to use a chunk of the SD card as internal memory.
Have a look at Suroot's guides about Rooting and flashing and feel free to ask any technical questions on here (suroot is one of the resident geniuses when it comes to rooting :) )

I'm not even sure what rooting is, I guess it's some kind of unlocking. I will go have a look, thanks :)

Upvote 0
I've investigated how to get a list of what's in the data partition - I had to use a temporary root (on HTC Desire), and a copy of busybox. Hopefully these instructions are complete... :)

1) Connect your phone and select usb debug

2) On your PC:
install adb
install superoneclick - SuperOneClick | shortfuse.org
run superoneclick and click "shell root"
get busybox binary - Busybox for android

3) In a cmd window type (without the # or > of course):
Code:
> adb shell
# mkdir /data/busybox
# exit
> cd "directory containing busybox binary"
> adb push busybox /data/busybox/busybox
> adb shell
# cd /data/busybox
# chmod 777 busybox
# mkdir /sdcard/size
# exit
4) Each time you want to see what's in data, in a cmd window type:
Code:
> adb shell
# cd /data/busybox
# ./busybox du -a   /data/app          > /sdcard/size/size_of_app_apks.txt
# ./busybox du -d 1 /data/data         > /sdcard/size/size_of_app_data.txt
# ./busybox du -a   /data/dalvik-cache > /sdcard/size/size_of_app_dalvik-cache.txt
# ./busybox du -d 1 /data              > /sdcard/size/size_of_directories_in_data.txt
# exit
> cd "directory where you want the data to go to"
> adb pull /sdcard/size
Load each file into wordpad, notepad++ or excel (not notepad).
Some manipulation will now be required to amagamate the lists. I've not written that bit yet (and since I did this I've rooted and flashed, so have no more memory issues, so I may not get round to it, sorry)
(PS You can edit the "./busybox du" lines above to get whatever lists of folder and/or file sizes you like, I just thought those above were useful)

Note that the sizes don't match those reported by DiskUsage and Android... however the totals match. I might be missing something!

eg for my installation of newsrob:
Code:
Directory  Size  DiskUsage/Android
----------------------------------
apk        1.42	     1.09
data       0.49	     1.54	
dalvik     0.60	     0.00
----------------------------------
TOTAL      2.63	     2.63
Still, hope that's of use :)

Toby

Upvote 0
I am HTC Salsa owner and had successfully rooted my device and also successfully transfer all the /data to sdcard ext2 partition. The original /data still intact.

What I did was I duplicate the original /data to my sdcard and mount the /data to my sdcard instead. I had modified a script inside the htcfs and it will automount the /data to my sdcard.

I am having 4GB as internal memory.

Below is the link for all the information.
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1281964

Upvote 0
So still no answer on this then? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Seems like everyone is having basically the same issue but manifesting itself in different ways. Does anyone know if this memory issue happens on other android devices? Cos if it does my carrier contract is up in Feb and I'll be going back to Apple.

I Love Android but.....

This is a bit of an old thread - the memory issue is because the Htc Desire was made with not enough internal memory. This can be solved by rooting and applying one of the scripts that supplement the phone's internal memory with a partition on the SD card, eg darktremor-a2sd or data2sd.

Most other phones have more internal memory so don't have the same issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones