• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

htc desire mms and other problems, is it just me

My phone is sim free, on T-mobile (new contract). I've been able to send to orange no problem, my problem was with O2 and Vodafone. Some of the pics went through on O2, some didn't, so not sure if it's an O2 problem or phone issue ?
After I did what I stated above, I've now been able to send to an O2 number that I previously couldn't, haven't tried Voda yet but I will give that a go and see.

Upvote 0
rosco1712 that throws spanner in mt ideas lol, not on flex 2009 and an none t mobile branded phone, which was my next thing to try, will we ever get It sorted, or will our problem be up there with curing common cold lol, well I tried turning off pic messages and voice mail like you did, see how that goes. thinking be a temp fix, as like I said I did simalar thing, worked 24 hours , got new phone worked 1 week ish , and that just adds to Its mystery, lol, fingers crossed on of us genious's will figure it out

Upvote 0
ordered new sim now, but not convinced, what I tried today, went to t mobile shop, got there demo desire out, with sim in it, got her to send my mate a picture message, worked fine, and had stable signal, so out my sim in hers her sim in mine, either one of them could send pic message, strange I know, now for more strange , put her card in her phone again, now her phone has un stable signal and can't send mms, best that for strange, tried to get phone and sim changed at same time just in case get new sim and cos my phone now got problem will pass it on back to sim, thought give you heads up as where I'm up to

Upvote 0
For people who been reading this thread, might have noticed I dont like to give up, I may have found way to defeat problem, let me know if works for all of you ,
Been on net all day looking at other networks with same issue, a guy on virgin fixed it with easy fix, 1st of all make sure WiFi is off, pic messages don't send with wifi on,
Go to your network settings, click on apn settings, delete user name and password, save and restart, done, mine Is sending now to all except one, but going to take it that's his phone, also our t mobile loss of signal Is due to t mobile joining orange network, apparently, let me know if tjis works for you

Reactions: cindya41
Upvote 0
So you went In to access points, picture messages, deleted user name, password, which is to stars, pressed menu, saved, switched phone off and back on, making sure your WiFi is switched off as won't send with WiFi on, and still nothing, mmm, I also did it to internet one to,, but to be fair, yours acts different to mine, mine just done get there, but yours do , bit then say corrupt, not heard that one,, hope you get it sorted, maybe new sim for you with user name and password deleted will do it

Upvote 0
Hey guys

I don't know if this will help. But i had the same error "generic network failure" after only having my HTC desire for couple weeks. I am on o2 sim simplicity and purchased the handset separately.

However, i resolved it by manually setting up the WEB&MMS.

This guide is based on a HTC Desirethat has been unlocked and is now running a O2 SIM card.

Click 'menu' and select 'wireless & networks'.

Ensure Mobile network is enabled (ticked green) then select 'mobile networks' (setting options for roaming and APNs)

Click on Access Points Names asvyou will need to set up 2 x APNs on the handset.

First one is for your mobile internet. Remember that if you do not have the unlimited web bolt on then this will start to get very expensive for you! You need to enter this information in. If there is nothing written for a paticular field then just leave it blank.

Mobile Web:
Name: o2
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: web
Password: web
MCC: 234
MNC: 10

select 'menu' and 'save' before going back from the settings to the APNs page. Yours O2 will be listed.

Following this select 'menu' and 'New APN' to set up your MMS, APN details are as following:

Name: MMS
APN: wap.o2.co.uk
Username: o2wap
Password: password
Server: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 243
MNC: 10

Now once these two seperate APN's have been entered and you have made sure you saved them you should see a grey circle next to each one.

Click on the MMS circle and it should now have a green light inside it.

Re-Boot the handset.

You should now have mobile internet and MMS capabilities
thumbsup.gif

Just remember that these are the settings that worked for me on my HTC Magic unlocked and used with a O2 SIMplicity card with a unlimited web bolt on. Make sure you have a data package otherwise your phone bills will be massive! If in doubt check with O2 to make sure your not being charged for the data etc. I cannot be held responsible!

Reactions: cindya41
Upvote 0
Potential Fix

This has been one of my biggest problems with the desire. after 3 weeks, and it not working at all it was really pissing me off. I even went into Telstra who told me they had to wipe my phone and re-install the ROM after looking at it about 10 seconds - WTF?

Anyway to cut a long story short i sort of fixed it.
I was really getting shitty, so i deleted the old APN, and redid it manually. What that did was give me a radio control selection (the round circle)that i could then select the MMS APN. When it was not selected it doesn't seem to work, but when selected i can definitely get MMS's. This wasnt on the original settings i had. and i had only ever tried to change them, not delete them

one other thing i did, that i am not sure is related i was send myself a mms. I read above that this is needed to activate MMSing, which is what i posted before.

Anyway - as i said mine kind of works, i just need to change over whenever someone sends me an MMS or i want to send one. My exhange Activesync doesnt work when the MMS option is selected.

If i could select the APN it is to use when downloading messages my problem would probably be resolved.

anyway if i discover anymore on a better fix i will post, because there is a lot of stuff out there about this issue and not a whole lot of answers

Rev.

Upvote 0
Im in the US on T-Mobile. Yet again, I have spent the last three hours tearing my eyes out trying to get my MMS to work. Theres a really kind girl in Arizona on T-Mobile with the username Ifront thats been graciously helping me to get it to work, only it hasn't.

There is a tonnn of posts all over the internet on how it doesnt work. There HAS to be a generic set up... I'm going crazy :(

Upvote 0
Im in the US on T-Mobile. Yet again, I have spent the last three hours tearing my eyes out trying to get my MMS to work. Theres a really kind girl in Arizona on T-Mobile with the username Ifront thats been graciously helping me to get it to work, only it hasn't.

There is a tonnn of posts all over the internet on how it doesnt work. There HAS to be a generic set up... I'm going crazy :(
Try
t-zones

Upvote 0
Yes, SIM cards have changed in the last 6 years ;)

A thought. Do those of you having issues have auto date & time enabled in settings? If so does the problem go if you disable and RECHECK date & time are 100% correct.

The auto date time causes untold issues on Tmobile and other networks.
Reading through the whole post from the start , I have the same problem with my HTC desire about being charged for sending them but no one receives!
I am with Virgin and has had my phone for 3+ months now.
I have disabled the auto date settings (as suggested in a previous post )and tried to send another mms to the same number that couldn't receive (other provider) and it went through instantly..:cool: Definitly software issue.:eek:.. errrr I think!

Upvote 0
Hi all, its not just t-mobile and o2! My hubby has sent pic from vodaphone and I cant download it - get the text but the 'download' just keeps giving the 'generic network failure' As its locked to 3 I cant do much but anyway the engineers spent an hour talking to me and the settings (they say!) are ok and they dont understand whats wrong - cant send either, havent done anything odd to it (not had time to play) and they dont yet have official upgrade to 2.2. Oh and yes its quite an old sim that works fine in other phones! BTW in case it might be relevant - the IMEI cannot be got from mine by #06# but it can be got by *#*#4636#*#* (try it!) Now... this is supposed to be a particular bunch of phones so is it related?

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, i am from austria and my girlfriend bought a desire recently.
Soon we experienced follwing problem. At some point during the day her messaging stopped working completely. She could send sms without a problem but dit neither receive SMS or MMS i or other people sent to her.
After a reboot it always worked again without any troubles.

I am working for a mobile carrier and thought that the receiving is a problem with our SMSC or MMSC and we tracked down the problem to following point.

If she is on low coverage (especially on the couch in her livingroom) and gets a MMS from me, the SMS/MMS app in the desire somehow gets stuck and every incoming message (both SMS and MMS) are not shown in the desire any more. She can't send a MMS as well any more.
The Network delivers the messages and gets a positive reply from the handyset that it was received, but it does not show up (so the message won't be delivered again from the SMSC/MMSC because of the positive reply)
- a reboot fixes this issue again until she gets another MMS in low coverage (the "destroying" MMS is received normally)

The desire was on android 2.2 stock from HTC and had this issue, so i rooted it, tried every radio image possible and some other Roms (LeeDroid, DeFrost, Cyanogen 6...) this issue happens on ALL of them.

So my clue would be, that it is not carrier or simcard related but an Android 2.2 bug on the desire.

I still have no Idea or fix for this except rebooting after a MMS (or at least once a day)

Cheers :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones