• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire - USB Device not reconized error

Usually the first step you should do is go to Device Manager, via the Control Panel, and click on Universal Serial Bus controller, you should see something there (a yellow icon). Just double click it and you will see a window. Try following the suggestion in that Window.

If that doesnt work shut down your computer, and unplug the PC from the power outlet, unplug the USB, and if you are on a laptop, removing the battery. Give it some time and then reconnect the power suppy, etc, and power up.

Fingers crossed

Upvote 0
Usually the first step you should do is go to Device Manager, via the Control Panel, and click on Universal Serial Bus controller, you should see something there (a yellow icon). Just double click it and you will see a window. Try following the suggestion in that Window.

If that doesnt work shut down your computer, and unplug the PC from the power outlet, unplug the USB, and if you are on a laptop, removing the battery. Give it some time and then reconnect the power suppy, etc, and power up.

Fingers crossed

It just says cant install driver even tho I had installed and reinstalled. Will try the shut down and power outlet thing and let you know,

Upvote 0
Solved. It appears that i had managed to get a conflict with another USB devise i was using for Readyboost.

I right clicked Computer, Manage and selected Device Manager and selected Universal Serial Bus controllers

Find the Device with the exclamation mark on it and right click and uninstall.

Remove any USB Pens from the PC and disconnect the Phone.

Restarted PC then moved the USB for the phone to a new USB port, selected disk drive and it worked!

Then i put in USBkey, it reassigned a letter correctly and hey presto i can browse my phone.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
FIX For Data Is Invalid Error win2K / winXP

When I attempted the driver install using the HTC Sync 2.0.33 drivers for my Desire I was getting a message that the data was invalid and the driver failed to install (XP SP3). I followed the instructions to change the security permissions on certain registry keys (much safer than deleting keys as per some other fixes I found). It worked, there were several device installations so I had to keep going back to the registry and finding the next device but after about 5 devices it worked fine and I can sync my phone or browse the SD card or install apps via HTC sync. The link talks about PCI devices so where it says "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI " you should go to USB rather than PCI. I also had to do this fix for a storage device at the end which there is another folder for. To view your device description find it in device manager and go to properties (double click) and then click the details tab.You should see the device instance ID in the registry under the appropriate section (usb, Storage etc).

I can't see why this would be any different for Vista or windows 7, my Window 7 netbook installed the drivers without any issues but if you have the same problem I would expect the above to work for any Microsoft OS from 2000 onwards.

As for "If that doesnt work shut down your computer, and unplug the PC from the power outlet, unplug the USB, and if you are on a laptop, removing the battery. Give it some time and then reconnect the power suppy, etc, and power up.", don't waste your time, unplugging batteries and leaving off for some time - hilarious. You need to fix your Operating system, not save on your electricity bill.

Upvote 0
Hi have been trying to get HTCSync to recognize my Evo Shift for weeks, and finally broke down and called HTC tech support... but that just generated a lot of useless reboots and downloads of different versions of HTC Sync, and trying different USB ports. They don't seem to know why HTC Sync doesn't see HTC phones, and neither do I. Just buggy software I guess. :(

Upvote 0
Hi have been trying to get HTCSync to recognize my Evo Shift for weeks, and finally broke down and called HTC tech support... but that just generated a lot of useless reboots and downloads of different versions of HTC Sync, and trying different USB ports. They don't seem to know why HTC Sync doesn't see HTC phones, and neither do I. Just buggy software I guess. :(
If the reactions here and HTC Customer support can't help you, then either you should try HTC Sync on another PC or indeed give up using that.

There are other ways to sync your data. My preferred way is phone <-> Google, and PC <-> Google.
If you insist on direct phone to PC sync, you can also try MyPhoneExplorer. It works very nicely for me. You can connect via USB or Wifi.

Upvote 0
I realize this is an old thread; but when I was not able to get HTC Sync to work recently, it is old threads like this that I relied on to get help. Unforunately, none of them worked for me!.... (and I am using the more reliable Winddows XP). I tried everything I could think of..... Including the latest and various previous versions of HTC Sync (including the Euro version that's supposed to work well with the Desire). Including going into settings and switching on all the needed options (ie. usb debugging, etc). Including installing the program on various laptops.

Like some here that have wrestled with this issue of getting HTC Sync to communicate with their phone, I was on the verge of giving up and deciding it must be the USB cable. Somehow, the original HTC USB cable became inoperative, when one of the internal pins on the micro side broke off. I've been using a Samsung micro USB since, and having read that for some people, HTC Sync only started working when they changed the cable, that's what led me to this conclusion. But that wasn't it either...

Turns out the solution is to have more than 15mb of free space on the internal memory chip. (14.92mb didn't do it!)
. After ensuring that I did, HTC Sync finally synced with the phone on both computers, no problem.... I did not see anyone suggesting this solution for HTC Sync, so I am posting it in case it helps someone in the future, from throwing their phone off a bridge. Or worse, switching to the iPhone. :eek:

Ironically, the only reason I presently needed HTC Sync to work was to create more space on the internal memory. Because as everyone now knows, Froyo's promise of fixing the stupid HTC problem of cramming most everything into the internal RAM, regardless of how big an SD card you happen to have, is nothing but a Crayola crayon band aid solution. Pure "amateur hour" at HTC headquarters. :mad: We're well into what... Gingerbread now?? And they still haven't solved this dilemna, preferring to pass the buck on to software app developers. (rant off)

And the only reason I really needed HTC Sync, was not to use the program itself, but to get the adb shell to talk to the phone via the sync process. I used the adb commands (in another article) to get the Desire to always automatically install software to the SD card (so obviously, HTC could have built this in if they wanted to! Instead of making people spend days trying to find a hack for their phone!! :mad: -rant off again). (link: How to Install Apps to Your SD Card on Android Froyo | Gadget News)

All that was enough to fix the internal memory issue, but unlike for some, it wasn't enough to fix GMail not syncing, pushing or updating. There too I tried everything I could find or think of. The solution for that, came from a solution here in another thread, of installing Power Controls widget, and hitting the Auto-Sync button a couple of times. This, despite the fact that I had already gone into settings, and updated the synching for Gmail and all other synching accounts on the phone (as well as refreshing the synch in the Gmail app). (link: Gmail no longer sync-ing (solution))

Pardon the ambling rant, hope this helps. :cool:

Reactions: 5ynic
Upvote 0
I wonder if the charger plug causes these problems.. I have this problem that when i plug my phone to my PC, it's like nothing have happened.. my PC doesn't react in any way, and now after i've used the plug to charge my iPod in normal socket in wall, my PC doesn't recognize it either.. in any way.. It shows that my iPod is charging, but nothing else happens. I can find it in some place where it shows all the USB-devices plugged, but i can't do anything with it.. So i can't browse my phone or my iPod, after using the plug you use for charging in a socket.. :thinking:

Upvote 0
HTC Sensation
Having:
1 Uninstalled Reinstalled Windows X64 bit Sensation driver setup_3.0.5579.exe many times.
2 Copied HTC files to phone.
3 Unpluging all USB devices from PC.
4 Reinstalling diver - said was already using latest version but did not show as HTC device.
5 Uninstalling all USB Root Hubs ... stopped mouse and keyboard ... had to power off/on.
6 Reboot PC.
7 Reboot HTC.
8 Tried different USB ports.
9 TopBarDragdown QuickSettings AllSettings ConnectToPC DefaultConnectionType Diskdrive.
10 etc etc
But still got "device not recognized" and no sync possible.

Eventually tried a different micro HTC USB cable as someone suggested ...
Its now working !!!

Couldn't believe it could have been USB cable since the one I was using was new off Amazon.
The one that worked was the original HTC cable - with the HTC sticker ... would like to know what the differences are since its only wires and you wouldn't think there could be that may ways to configure it differently ... obviously not ... !!!
Its great its now working ... but boy ... what a total waste of my time ... and many others.

Signed up to post this since I really appreciate all those who have given their time up to help me and others fathom this one out ... thanks to all.
Hope this helps someone else ... Andy.

Upvote 0
SkinJob's answer solved my issue (free up minimum 15MB in phone RAM,then connect.

I've had this problem multiple times however, and it's been different causes.

Current troubleshooting steps:
1. reboot everything
2. remove micro SD & battery, replace, go again
3. ensure 15MB free on phone (Menu>>settings>>Applications>>Running Services, and kill some stuff).
4. Try a different USB port (sometimes only the USB ports at the back of a PC allow mount-as-disk - different amperage).
5. Try a different cable

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones