• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire Z, touch screen ignores certain spots in certain cases (not a hardware problem)

Starting yesterday I noticed a weird thing:

1. In Opera Mobile I'm not able to set focus to the address bar or to the search bar by tapping them. Nothing happens. When I set focus on either one by the trackball or by a keyboard shortcut, then the phone does recognize me tapping on the text field by moving the cursor or selecting the text.

2. In the vertical-position virtual keyboard every second to last letter in each row can't be tapped. Instead it takes the one that's closest. By sliding the finger on the letters I notice that it's like the letters are not there, totally ignoring them. Horizontal keyboard works (and the physical keyboard of course, too). Changing the language of the keyboard leaves the dead keys dead. Changing the keyboard type into the regular phone's keyboard or the compact qwerty, the keyboard works perfectly. I've tried resetting everything that has to do with the keyboard settings, including the calibration profile and the data the keyboard application has saved, not fixing the problem.

The problem is NOT that certain spots in the screen would be completely dead. Instead I've just noticed these two problems, Opera Mobile and the keyboard. Going through these spots and the entire touch screen in any other application has proved that the touch screen works as it should.

Any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones