• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One m8 LRA Softbrick

Good Morning everyone, let me first start by saying these forums have helped me immensely with various phones over the past few years, the wealth of knowledge in here is crazy and for that I say thank you. Now, on to my self induced issues that I'm hoping someone can help me sort through...

I've got an M8 through a small Wisconsin carrier, it's nearly the same as the Verizon variant from what I can tell but it's slightly different, called an LRA version. Because it's a relatively uncommon phone it's been impossible for me to find a stock nandroid backup or RUU, and naturally I didn't take a backup when I started (who needs those anyways). I originally got the phone, rooted it, put TWRP on and called it a day - all was well and good. Recently my carrier released the 4.4.4 OTA update and, rather than getting annoyed by the message every day, I decided I should revert back to stock and flash the OTA - and the problems started. Here's what I've done so far:

- Re-locked my bootloader, extracted firmware.zip from the OTA download and flashed that. My thought was that this would bring me close enough back to stock that I could install the OTA, unfortunately after flashing I'm now soft bricked, my device just sits at the HTC screen.
- When I tried to get into the recovery at that point I just got a red triangle with an exclamation point on it
- I unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP so I could get into a recovery at least, that is working now.
- Performed a wipe of the cache and a factor reset, no luck.

At this point I'm a bit stumped, I figured flashing firmware.zip from the OTA that was downloaded to the phone was relatively safe, I guess I was wrong! Any insight or assistance would be appreciated. Additional info is below.

version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
version-baseband: 1.09.20.0926
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main: 3.31.512.2
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
serialno: *******
imei: *******
imei2: Not Support
meid: *******
product: m8_wlv
platform: hTCBmsm8974
modelid: 0P6B20000
cidnum: LRA__001
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 0mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: on
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: 2e9b7c51
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

M8_WLV PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.09.20.0926
OpenDSP-v46.2.2-00564-M8974_FO.0811
OS-3.31.512.2
eMMC-boot 2048mb

Good Morning everyone, let me first start by saying these forums have helped me immensely with various phones over the past few years, the wealth of knowledge in here is crazy and for that I say thank you. Now, on to my self induced issues that I'm hoping someone can help me sort through...

I've got an M8 through a small Wisconsin carrier, it's nearly the same as the Verizon variant from what I can tell but it's slightly different, called an LRA version. Because it's a relatively uncommon phone it's been impossible for me to find a stock nandroid backup or RUU, and naturally I didn't take a backup when I started (who needs those anyways). I originally got the phone, rooted it, put TWRP on and called it a day - all was well and good. Recently my carrier released the 4.4.4 OTA update and, rather than getting annoyed by the message every day, I decided I should revert back to stock and flash the OTA - and the problems started. Here's what I've done so far:

- Re-locked my bootloader, extracted firmware.zip from the OTA download and flashed that. My thought was that this would bring me close enough back to stock that I could install the OTA, unfortunately after flashing I'm now soft bricked, my device just sits at the HTC screen.
- When I tried to get into the recovery at that point I just got a red triangle with an exclamation point on it
- I unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP so I could get into a recovery at least, that is working now.
- Performed a wipe of the cache and a factor reset, no luck.

At this point I'm a bit stumped, I figured flashing firmware.zip from the OTA that was downloaded to the phone was relatively safe, I guess I was wrong! Any insight or assistance would be appreciated. Additional info is below.

version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
version-baseband: 1.09.20.0926
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main: 3.31.512.2
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
serialno: *******
imei: *******
imei2: Not Support
meid: *******
product: m8_wlv
platform: hTCBmsm8974
modelid: 0P6B20000
cidnum: LRA__001
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 0mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: on
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: 2e9b7c51
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

M8_WLV PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.09.20.0926
OpenDSP-v46.2.2-00564-M8974_FO.0811
OS-3.31.512.2
eMMC-boot 2048mb

Hi, were you able to get it fixed, I have the same model and more or less similar problem, did you find RUU or firmware?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones