• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hyperion Extended Battery...Anyone tried it?

FWIW, On July 20, I made a post referring to a replacement battery I purchased on Amazon that fit in the phone without a bigger back, and had an increased mAH rating:
OEM BL-53QH, 3.8V, 2100mAH

That battery is now dead.

And so when it failed, I threw my RayOVac battery back in the phone and experienced the dreaded Use Genuine Battery shutdown "protection".

Somehow I cleared that problem, and after a few FDRs (which I probably didn't have to do but I was in a panic), the phone is working again, but I'm suspicious this problem might re-appear unless I go to another "Genuine" OEM battery.

There was no "free lunch" for me.
Sorry to hear about the misfortune on that.

Upvote 0
Make sure you let it completely die, as in phone shuts off. My first run on my 3800mah extended battery ran for 4 hours on 1%... it needed to recalibrate for the larger battery.

After you do that, you will have to plug it in for 15-20 mins for it to get enough charge to turn the phone on. During this time it boots to a charging screen. To get out of this charging state and back into CM (after the 15-20 mins of charging has passed), you will need to unplug it, pull the battery, reinsert the battery, and turn it on. Once you see the CM boot logo you can plug the charger back in.

Thanks,I will give that a try.another thing,every time I unplug my phone with the extended battery it goes to 97 right away

Upvote 0
Just got the bundle from acesoft in the mail. Going to test batteries out this Friday after school. Well post my results.

Attachments

• 1378421585397.jpg
    1378421585397.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
okay so im testing the first acesoft battery. i first placed the battery on the phone and charged it for 6 hours off. I then fully drained it. Battery life seemed to be the same as stock battery (im on stock locked rom unrooted). Maybe i have to fully drain it a couple times to get better battery life? Also how long is it suppose to charge from being dead, and how many more times do i need to drain it all the way?
Also, what temperature does the battery stay at? For me it stays at around 98-105

Upvote 0
okay so im testing the first acesoft battery. i first placed the battery on the phone and charged it for 6 hours off. I then fully drained it. Battery life seemed to be the same as stock battery (im on stock locked rom unrooted). Maybe i have to fully drain it a couple times to get better battery life? Also how long is it suppose to charge from being dead, and how many more times do i need to drain it all the way?
Also, what temperature does the battery stay at? For me it stays at around 98-105

Reactions: android55555
Upvote 0
Drained it, then charged it while it was on (mostly - had to do the first 15 mins while off). It normally takes a few hours to fully charge for me on my house charger, but the cheap charger I have in the car might take all day.

Maybe that was my problem... I just put the battery in the phone and charged it off without draining it first. How many minutes does each percent drain for you? I lose 1% every 3 minutes when using and gains 1% every 4 minutes when charging :(. Also there is no 99% for me. It goes from 100% and skips to 98% and so on.

Upvote 0
FWIW: w.r.t. my post of Aug 31st, I ordered another stock OEM battery for my Spectrum. Interestingly, it's easily lasting me through the entire day... and I suspect it will last much much longer.

Two takeaways for me:
1). I don't think all OEM batteries are created equal. There is probably a distribution with a pretty large standard deviation, and this one is on the right side of the mean... out there.

2). One must not under-appreciate the improvement to be gained by performing a FDR on your device and running stuff that is essential. Possibly I'm benefiting from the fact that since I didn't perform an FDR after upgrading the stock OS, perhaps some setting was sub-optimal. Also I had really messed around with the governor settings via some root tools, and I'm just not doing the same now.

I'm not going to recommend people perform an FDR, but if you are getting really lousy battery run-time on the stock OS, you might want to give it a try.

The other up-side, is by simplifying the device, you might find you actually like it again because it's so responsive and uncluttered. :smokingsomb:

Reactions: reeseboy
Upvote 0
OK I found something weird... I decided to charge the battery using the battery charger that came with the bundle. Battery life seems amazing! Its been on 100% for about 90 minutes now with 35 minutes of on screen time. Maybe its just the phone reading the battery wrong but I hope not.

Attachments

• 1379033114421.jpg
    1379033114421.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
FWIW: w.r.t. my post of Aug 31st, I ordered another stock OEM battery for my Spectrum. Interestingly, it's easily lasting me through the entire day... and I suspect it will last much much longer.

Two takeaways for me:
1). I don't think all OEM batteries are created equal. There is probably a distribution with a pretty large standard deviation, and this one is on the right side of the mean... out there.

2). One must not under-appreciate the improvement to be gained by performing a FDR on your device and running stuff that is essential. Possibly I'm benefiting from the fact that since I didn't perform an FDR after upgrading the stock OS, perhaps some setting was sub-optimal. Also I had really messed around with the governor settings via some root tools, and I'm just not doing the same now.

I'm not going to recommend people perform an FDR, but if you are getting really lousy battery run-time on the stock OS, you might want to give it a try.

The other up-side, is by simplifying the device, you might find you actually like it again because it's so responsive and uncluttered. :smokingsomb:

Verizon once sent me a replacement battery when i was trying to get a better quality spectrum. So aparently alot of people complained aboit the batteries in these phones

Upvote 0
bones.
I WISH I had kept the OEM cell that started the process of Thermal Runaway and puffed up like a pillow. I think there were many batteries that weren't manufactured properly. I could have pushed the point - actually VZW was going to put me into a Moto Droid because it couldn't ship me a replacement battery for the Spectrum (and neither could LG for that matter).

Not cool.

And so with many things that are manufactured in "lots" and from multiple suppliers, using their own suppliers, component and material and manufacturing tolerance variances, there's got to be a seriously wide distribution on these sorts of components... the difference in run-time could be significant.

Part of me really thinks though that without performing a FDR post-SW upgrade, one risks having bizzare or sub-optimal device behaviors. I wouldn't say it's almost like having a different phone, but close.

Performing an FDR, specially when your device seems to be showing its age isn't a bad thing to do anyway. Realistically, there isn't many apps we download that we continue to use... after about a yr with the device, you know what you rely upon, and what isn't needed anymore.

And it's a good challenge to see if you can re-configure everything and how quickly you can do it.

I'm going to be coming up for a contract renewal / upgrade eligibility the end of November. I'm eagerly awaiting feedback on the LG G2 since I'm on VZW. I like the idea of wireless charging which I use extensively for an HP Touchpad I put CM10 on... Other alternate devices I'm considering include the Samsung Galaxy S4, or the HTC One.

I'm a bit bothered that the Lucid, Lucid2, Spectrum and Spectrum2 didn't get the sort of support they deserved.

Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Ah damn I can't even get more than 13 hours and I'm on CM 10.1 with minimum use when I'm at work and stream music when I drive :/

Stock based has been giving me better life... within the next couple weeks imll build a rom based off icyfusion with as many stock features as i can. While keeping battery life as good as possible... hopefully when 4.3 gets more stable for us itll have decent life

Upvote 0
OK I found something weird... I decided to charge the battery using the battery charger that came with the bundle. Battery life seems amazing! Its been on 100% for about 90 minutes now with 35 minutes of on screen time. Maybe its just the phone reading the battery wrong but I hope not.

Would you mind sending me a pic of the charger pins so I can see which contacts they align with? When I first got my charger I foolishly played with them with out noting where they were placed... now I have no idea how to set them for charging my batteries lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones