• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hypothetical question: Sony X10 if no Passion exists?

Phydeaux

Android Enthusiast
The Sony Ericsson X10 is an undeniably sexy phone and may even be better than the Passion (8.1 MP image stabilized camera, 480 x 854 screen, FM tuner). Both run the 1GHz Snapdragon.

Full specs on the X10 here: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (SE Rachael) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

Hands-on video: YouTube - Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 preview ENG hands-on

The phone currently runs Android 1.6 but that will likely change shortly after US release. The phone runs GSM so it will only be available for AT&T and/or T-Mobile.

If it turns out that the Passion is vaporware, how many of you would consider switching carriers to get their hands on the phone that Passion should have been?

I would seriously consider switching carriers.

P.S.: Who wouldn't want a phone called the SEx10?

AT&T? No thanks. I still like using my phone to make calls that don't get dropped every 5 minutes -- and I'd probably rather have an iPhone than this thing anyhow.

Not interested. Besides, I've heard Sony's been having all sorts of problems with their handsets.

If it came to Verizon I would consider it, but initial testing showed horrible battery life, and the interface was slow....

Looks sexy, but I'd be more inclined towards it if it were on Sprint or Verizon. ...or if T-Mobile offered 3G outside of the city ... or if AT&T figured out how to build (configure?) a decent network (that and my experience with cingular was less than pleasant).

I guess I'm going to wait and see what Google is cooking up. ... Would go with the Passion if it existed and was available. :(

What is the phone on the right at 2:01 into the video that they are comparing the X10 to?!? It looks like an HTC phone with a similar screen size. Buttons are different than what I've seen on the HD2....

Edit - Touch HD maybe....

I'd take the passion over it. I heard the x10 has a crappy keyboard and is not multitouch enabled. The only plus I see in the phone is it's media player. The rest of the ui seems a little boring. Plus you only get 3 homescreens if the passion exists and has sense it will have 7.

After watching the video, it appears to me that this phone has some issues.
Not that any device is perfect, its just that I witnessed a lot of LAG.

This is a NO go. AT&T coverage in Southern Illinois is worthless. You will drop more calls than anything, & find yourself in dead spots....just about everywhere you go.

(I shut my iPhone off quite some time ago. I let my 2yr old son run around with it. He make pretends he's talking to someone! LoL)

The problems that a lot of you are talking about are issues that have been/ will be worked out before release. Sony has problems with overhyping their products too early. So we see demos before the software is really ready to be demo'd. There are a couple videos on a sony site...that I can't find now, that showed a more up to date ui that was running much more smoothly.

However, I will second the issue with sony phones having some problems recently. If I had my choice, I'd get the HTC product.

As far as AT&T goes. I'm locked in with them because of a business plan that I have. I live in an area of upstate NY where I really haven't had issues with them, and contrary to popular opinion, we had all kinds of problems with verizon when we were with them. Therefore I'm probably not going to have much choice in this. I'm either going to have to go with the X10, the Hero coming to AT&T, or the rumored google phone. Unless there is a surprise and the Passion comes out for AT&T as well....that'd be nice.

Acer Liquid is the Passion in the flesh. 4.3" LCD, Snapdragon 1GHz (under-clocked to 768MHz, as I believe all Snaps will be). Also, running 1.6.

I was closely watching X10 developments until I heard "AT&T"...my TMo contract has expired, so don't mind jumping carriers. Anything but AT&T.

The lag is gone on the newer videos. It will be a hard choice for me between x10 and passion.

*edit* where do those who say att drops their calls all the time live? Just curious because in Seattle I never drop att calls. Ever.

I live in Salt Lake City. I, and everyone I know, regardless of phone brand, drops calls constantly on AT&T. What is weird about it, is that I often have 4 bars, and I am stationary, when the call gets dropped. If you live in a place with a solid AT&T network, and you don't travel, then the X10 maybe an option for you. I go camping a lot, and I would love 3G coverage when I'm away from the city, in addition to better voice quality and reliability.

Back
Top Bottom