• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I am having second thoughts on my Droid!?

I was at the Verizon store at lunch today talking to my rep. She let me in on some really great news. She said that as of either yesterday or today, if I buy a Droid, which I am!!!, then in six months I can get a new phone at the 2 year contract price. She said that it would have to be a smartphone tho and not a regular cell phone. Apples to apples basically. So that means in six months if the Passion does come out and I like it, I will get it at the discounted price. If not I have the Droid so like is awesome either way!!!!
I wouldn't bet on this unless there is an official word from Verizon or they gave you a binding written obligation. This would be awesome though to have the exchange extended to 6 months!

Upvote 0
I'm sure most of you have looked at the videos of the HD2 and I can't see how you can help but be impressed. I'm pretty sure that the general consensus is that WinMo blows when it comes to speed and performance. But the videos of the HD2 show it flying! This has to be due to the hardware. Now correct me if I

Upvote 0
Everything Ive heard says is that Google Navigation is simply a Android 2.0 thing, that's as restrictive as it is. But I've heard that phones other than Droid may not have the Car Home app that quickly simplifies the navigation controls.

I'm hoping now that we're past the 6th and the Droid is out, there will be some news on Passion soon.

So-so news on the navigation but a little upsetting about car home if it's true.

As for the new news, I'm literally searching every half hour for some! I'm worried because the Black Friday Passion release doesn't seem possible. From what I've read, nothing that resembles the Passion has passed through the FCC. That worries me b/c for such a soon release I would have to believe it would be through already. If that Black Friday report was true I guess I'm not losing all hope just yet; I don't believe the crackberry they were talking about has been seen at the FCC either. :gasp:: Must ::gasp:: have Passion news ::gasp::

Upvote 0
Glad I'm not the only one battling this decision. One thing is for sure the BB storm is gone!
I went through the same thing here, coming from an HTC 8125---a POS WinMo, and a Work BB Curve. I hate both of them, the Curve is extremely slow, the only thing it's good for is reading work BES email, even that wouldn't render correctly and freezes regularly.

Look at it this way, if you constantly waiting for the "it" phone, you will never get to enjoy, there's always something new coming out next. I've decided to get the Droid now, since the hardware is very fast, it will support new Android OS versions as Google releases them. So by the two years ends, I will upgrade to the next bad-a55 Android phone.

Upvote 0
I was having seocond thoughts myself, the Eris looked rather nice. But then I remembered I was trying to get away from f*cking trackball phones, that and SenseUI will more than likely be updated slower than stock Android since HTC is always dragging it's ass.

The Eris is pretty nice other then that. But the Passion... looks like a longer Eris but less flattering with just an ugly trackball at the bottom with some on screen tactile touch buttons. Gross :(

Upvote 0
Restocking fees are $35 if I'm remembering correctly (it may be only $25). I bought the Rogue and hated it so I just returned it and continued to use my old phone. Just make sure you don't impulsively donate your old phone!

The restocking fee only applies if you buy a different phone within 3 days of returning the phone. And if you buy it over the internet and then call Telesales and ask nicely they will waive the restocking fee as long as the received everything back in the orginal box and packaging. It is 35.00 BTW.

I just returned my Storm2 and there was no restocking fee for going with the Droid. I ordered the droid today. They only thing that sucks is the Droid is more expensive than the Storm2. Oh well I think I have made the right choice.

Upvote 0
Glad I'm not the only one battling this decision. One thing is for sure the BB storm is gone!

You can say that again. I've been longing for something to replace my beloved Pearl. Got the Tour the day it came out, gave it to my wife. Got the Storm, returned it. Pretty much everything lately has been a solid 'meh' for one reason or another...too big, to chunky, to slow, etc. I had high hopes for the Droid...so I was really surprised that the Eris was the phone I was actually really excited about!

On a whim I went over to Best Buy and they had both the Droid and Eris. The Eris is tiny in comparison...almost the size of my Pearl! Compared to the stock Android on the Droid, HTCs UI is pretty slick...especially the keyboard. What almost sealed the deal was that the Eris's keyboard has a 'compact qwerty' mode...can anyone say SureType? :D

I know that if you go by the numbers alone we'd all have Droids. It's faster, has a bigger screen, and Android 2.0. But when it comes down to it you can't really base a phone choice on a few minutes in the store. As others have mentioned Verizon has a 30 day return policy...and apparently Best Buy doesn't charge restocking fees either. In the end, follow your gut and not the numbers...and if nothing excites you, just wait...something will!

Upvote 0
If by some force of nature the HTC Passion comes out Black Friday, and has the same form factor as the HD2...

LIFE WILL BE GOOD!!

Would be nice, but I doubt it. If the leaked HTC Passion/Dragon photos are of that phone, it looks more like the Sprint HTC Hero, without the 4 keys around the trackball and (wishing) slightly bigger (screen wise). Yes, I'm impatintly waiting on the Passion too! JUST 3 WEEKS TILL BLACK FRIDAY!!!

Upvote 0
I was at the Verizon store at lunch today talking to my rep. She let me in on some really great news. She said that as of either yesterday or today, if I buy a Droid, which I am!!!, then in six months I can get a new phone at the 2 year contract price. She said that it would have to be a smartphone tho and not a regular cell phone. Apples to apples basically. So that means in six months if the Passion does come out and I like it, I will get it at the discounted price. If not I have the Droid so like is awesome either way!!!!

Never heard that either. I know if you are on a 1 year contract you can upgrade after 10 months, 2 year contract after 20 months. But that is not the same as the 'new every 2' promotions, just an upgrade with minor discounts ($40 to $70 in most cases).

Upvote 0
The restocking fee only applies if you buy a different phone within 3 days of returning the phone. And if you buy it over the internet and then call Telesales and ask nicely they will waive the restocking fee as long as the received everything back in the orginal box and packaging. It is 35.00 BTW.

I just returned my Storm2 and there was no restocking fee for going with the Droid. I ordered the droid today. They only thing that sucks is the Droid is more expensive than the Storm2. Oh well I think I have made the right choice.

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering if Verizon would wave the restocking fee if a request was made. I would warn that this may not be everyone's experience. It seems to me that if a polite request would be granted every time as long as everything was returned, Verizon would end up waving most restocking fees. That being said, there's no reason you couldn't just call back and try again if they say no! :D

So it's been a couple days since the release of the Droid and Eris. If I remember correctly, either Verizon made a statement, or someone tipped about the release of the Passion or the next BB; what they said was that it could be released on Black Friday based on the how well the Droid and Eris sold (plz correct me if I'm wrong). Soooo, my question is does anyone have any idea how well these phones have been selling? I don't think we're seeing so many sales that shelves are empty but I'm still hoping that sales are strong enough. I just really want to see the Passion before year end.

One more thing. This thread has pretty much turned into a conversation about the Passion. Is there a way to move it from the Droid forum to the Passion forum? Maybe even change the original post title to include the word 'Passion'? It would just be easier for those looking to discuss the Passion to identify this as the thread to do it in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones