• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I Found & Fixed an HTC Incredible Battery Bug

Yesterday just as a test, I charged my phone to 100% using the regular way. Restarted it and set it on my table.

Without one call and without me ever touching the phone it lasted 8 hours before I checked it and it was at 9% and the charge warning was on.

That is just messed up.

You ever use your laptop and the battery dies in one hour because you have LimeWire or Divx running. Same concept with Android. You have an app running, but you lack the tech skills to find it. (no insult intended).

Use the a battery app/tool in setting... also use OS Monitor... learn and use some tools to find the issue.

I've had my Incredible since day 1 and I've had 2-3 bad applications that cause a few battery issues and ZERO HTC/stock apps cause problems.

Its not the phone, it's an app. The HTC battery app will help find it I'm sure.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
I need help, and I know there are already so many posts about this, so sorry to add more. My battery life is unacceptable. I have been unplugged for 30 minutes and my battery already went from 100% to 87%. I haven't done anything but check a voice mail and looked at my battery stats. Cell standby is using 31% and Phone Idle is using 30%. That doesn't seen right to me, I don't feel like my phone should be draining battery while it's idle?? I'm very confused.

Here is what I have installed to sync:
Backup Assistant (every evening, once a day)
Weather (every 3 hours)
Twitter (manually, because I don't use it too often)
For Google Account I have Sync Calendar, Contacts and Gmail ALL disabled.

I have no facebook or anything set to sync. I do have the HTC calendar app on one of my home screens but that was added a couple days ago and I've had battery problems wayy before that. When I use pandora it is not even worth using because it drains my battery ridiculously quick.

I also have my brightness set very low, wifi off, bluetooth off, and gps off.

I use handcent sms for my texting, and I probably only send about 25-30 texts a day. So I don't know if that is causing a problem. I used to have a Task Killer but didn't know if that what causing a problem so I got rid of it, nothing good has happened from that. Should I download a different task manager, I wasn't getting good battery life even when I had it installed.

Can any one help? I've tried checking my radio to make sure it was on CDMA and it was, i've also tried charging and then turning the phone off and charging until green again, nothing works.

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

I'm betting something is keeping the phone from sleeping.
I to had the same issue I would unplug it at 11pm and leave it while I slept, no use at all. When I got up at 5:00am the battery had 3% WTF>> I knew i had better battery life because the week before I had done a test and it went 11 hours before I plugged it in, and it still had 40+%.

So I download one of those power graphing apps and watched in all its graphing glory plot my power drain. The graph went go down like a stock market crash. Straight down like at a 45 degrees and the phone wouldn't last 6 hrs.. Hmmm

So I do a factory reset and the graph now plainly goes down, not nearly as fast. But the interesting thing is that when the phone is asleep the power graph levels off (flat lines). Needless to say this GREATLY extends you battery life

Obviously something was preventing sleep mode. So be careful what you load up.

So put your phone to sleep and see if the power drain levels off .

Reactions: Akg2016
Upvote 0
How does it fair against Seidio 1750?

I can't do a exact comparison because i don't have the ability to calculate exact reading or usage, but i will say the 1800 is worth the money, especially if you want to keep the slimness/thickness of the phone, you want that stock look/feel. I don't want to alter the design of the phone.

Also comparing batteries life between individuals is impossible to get a fair reading since all are phones are loaded different. Usage will vary thus making the OS work differently, just the difference with how many times someone checks the time of day by illuminating their screen makes a big difference.

its almost 830 pm, i made a few calls and 10-20 texts since my last post, and had 4 updates while i was out and about, my battery still has 63% of battery life, i'm coming up to 30 hours...

If your think of getting the 1800, i recommended it. i have no personal interest in any company and have no loyalty to to any company, i just like a good product that works, so far... i have to say the slim 1800 works great.

Upvote 0
You ever use your laptop and the battery dies in one hour because you have LimeWire or Divx running. Same concept with Android. You have an app running, but you lack the tech skills to find it. (no insult intended).

Use the a battery app/tool in setting... also use OS Monitor... learn and use some tools to find the issue.

I've had my Incredible since day 1 and I've had 2-3 bad applications that cause a few battery issues and ZERO HTC/stock apps cause problems.

Its not the phone, it's an app. The HTC battery app will help find it I'm sure.

Good Luck

Not quite so sure this is the case. Obviously if something is preventing the phone from going into "Standby" meaning, uptime and awake time are identical, its going to have adverse effects on the battery. Well, the one application/process that does this on my phone is the "calendar" process.
Originally I thought it was only cause the agenda widget was on my screen, but thats not the case, even when it wasnt on my homescreen the phone wouldnt enter standby unless I killed that process.

I have to do it on every restart to get the phone to go to standby when I shut the screen off. I dont kill every process, just that ONE process right after startup, and it doesnt come back up.

I cant seem to find a fix other than just killing that process every time I start up.

Upvote 0

LOL....

I have my phone hooked up to the Android SDK; running ADB and I can catlog the logs and I see processes that you should be killed but are not. Task-Killers are not going to kill daemon/console process that sucks your battery dry.
I played the music player once. Shut it off. Killed it and yet, in my logs, I see a bunch of PIDs spawning WTF?

My phone isn't rooted so how do I shut them off without being plugged into the USB via computer and running ADB?

None of the Task Killers on the marketplace were able to kill them?

My point...Something is seriously wrong with the power management and how it handles tasks and apps.

Closing a web browser with flash running shouldn't kill your battery. I went to HTC's website, closed out of my browser and my battery was killed in 2 hours with nothing else running. WTF?

Upvote 0
thats it...lol thats like maybe just an 1.5 period on my phone

hey... your a popular guy... your a heavier user and theirs no cell phone battery big enough to handle your usage except for a U2O: i-UP 6400.

That's why battery life is very hard to review since everyone is different. Take a person who looks at their phone 20 times a day just to see the time of day, compared to someone who never does.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
are you able to send photos in your text messages, no can answer why we can't, so i figure while i got a heavy user of all sorts, do you... can you send photos in your text messages, i get an error/fail.

I know its off topic, but if you know or have an idea... we're here@
http://androidforums.com/support-tr.../106363-unable-send-picture-text-message.html
never had an issue before and just tested it right now and worked just fine

it could be related to the other phone on the receiving end and what kind it is.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to thank you guys, I killed the Obex and now my battery life has dramatically improved! I was getting ready to chuck this phone and move on. But now I can actually use it without having to plug it in every two minutes.

I know for me its the Calendar since Im not running Flickr or the other apps that have been mentioned.

Im also not running my location and Im very limited with my bluetooth. Since I dont need my contacts to always be synced Im taking control over when it happens.

Im also not needing to read my emails as they are coming in ... so Im not syncing those.... as a matter of fact... Im not syncing anything... haha

Im still pretty new to the Android platform so Im limiting myself to see what I really need and what I dont.

Battery was for sure needed and I will state again that killing the calendar / obex worked for me!

Thanks to everyone in the forum!

Upvote 0
I wanted to share this with you all in case you wanted to know what obex is:

Object Exchange: a set of high-level protocols allowing objects such as vCard contact information and vCalendar schedule entries to be exchanged using either IrDA (IrOBEX) or Bluetooth. Symbian OS implements IrOBEX for exchange of vCards, for example between a Nokia 9210 Communicator and an Ericsson R380 Smartphone, and vCalendar.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones