• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have rooted my phone, can I get ICS?

rozel

Oct 2, 2011
UK
There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the release of the Ice Cream Sandwich, (ICS), update. So lets see if we can clear a few things up.

I have rooted my phone. Can I get ICS

You will not be able to receive ICS via Kies, the Samsung PC Suite, if you are rooted. You will need to revert back to stock firmware. See here:-

[ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KL1/2/3/LA2,4/LB2,LPE/Q/7/2 Download - xda-developers

or for carrier firmware, see here:-

[ROMS]Official i9100 carrier branded firmware download for Odin Flash - xda-developers

I wish to start a new thread so as not to go off topic on the marvellous post by Ironass, from which the above is taken on the main forum.

My phone has a CPW firmware as evidenced by the CSC.

After I bought my phone, I rooted it using the Chainfire kernal v4.2. Since then I have flashed a Stock kernal over it in order to use the new SkyGo app and have been very successful in doing so.

So far so good.

However after flashing the Stock kernal, I have retained the root but lost the ability to make backups and restore using CWM. I get SkyGo to work using a skygo.test app together with VooDoo to hide the root.

Ok I can live with that but now I would like to know as and when CarPhoneWarehouse/Samsung UK release ICS for my SGS2, will Kies see it when I connect my phone? At the moment Kies tells me I have the latest Firmware version, which I have - GB 2.3.4.

But I am unsure whether, as and when ICS is released, will Kies see it, in my case?

Can you help please?

Reactions: Dizzee

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones