• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i know Antutu isnt everything but...wth?

I didn't realize that Titanium had such problems on this device. Like you said it's worked flawlessly for me before. I thought I had done something to make the script mad :)
As far as the fstab goes, you can rest easy. I'll figure it out and let you know. It'll keep me busy until the new kernel comes out.

On the subject of the new kernel and partitioning the sd.... Is it possible to maybe partition a spare to get things working and then switch to an unpartitioned primary card? I don't want to have my card get angry at me again. The only thing that brought it back was a deep format :( I'll try it my way anyway (parting the spare card) but if you have feedback I would like to hear it.

One final thing here : I have spent the last hour trying to get my xda account dusted off. I'll have to talk to administration I guess. But if you could let the kid who was having trouble deleting sense stuff from his room know.... (you told him about the new kernel too) if he installs an alternat launcher and makes it as a system app (just installing is good enough actually) then you can delete most of the sense crop without the bootloop. Just standing on the shoulders of geniuses here, but I know it works.

I'll post myself if I get my account squared away

Edit: Got my xda account working. Ill be over there to offer this advice myself. Also Ill ask rbhermax if I get the chance but honestly from reading his other posts (and Ive watched his threads before) I think he's a bit out of my league :) Ill do my reading so I can be as helpful as possible along the way. Also IMO the fstab is a lost less complicated than boot animations and its even simpler in android than in Linux. In android theres basically an automatic script that does everything, you just gotta point it in the right direction.... I think :) Obviously if it was that simple, we wouldnt have these problems with storage

Last edited:
I don't think that partition then add an un-partitioned card will work. Every time it boots up, I'm sure /data is looking for the sd-ext partition to I guess you would say "mount" to or "point" to. If it's not there, I'm sure it will not work.

IMAG0001.jpg

That picture is how my phone was set up with the kernel. That Internal storage is a 10GB partition of my 64GB sd card. I don't know if you could tell it to see if the partitioned sd card exists and if it does use it or if it doesn't exist don't use it and just do what it usually does. I guess if that is possible, you can either add in a partitioned or un-partitioned card and it would make a check then work properly. If that is possible it would get rid of user error.

Yea, rbheromax, LarryBoyG, pattyboi and whoever else is hooking up this device are out of my league, also. I try to help where I can, but there's only so much I can do at the moment.

Just a quick update of some old news. I had no idea of the SD limitation on kitkat until I started reading. I cannot be 100 percent sure but I believe I wrote a correct fstab file (or nearly anyway, it's hard to tell without testing) but the limitation is killing me. It also seems that the workaround (media_rw) is included in the rom but still isn't enough for these changes to take effect.

I hereby give my official permission to seamlessly use whatever workarounds you like as well as wait for a new kernel. I'll keep looking and see what I can do, but I believe wiser heads than mine will be what it takes to solve this problem :)

Oh, I assumed you knew about the sd write protection. I guess it was good for security, but I don't really understand why Google did this. Then they have two different folders for system files: /app and /priv-app. I believe /priv-app has more rights (for what I don't know) than /app. I like Jelly Bean much better.

Nope news to me! I was running 4.1.2 on my last device. I guess I had read something about a rumor of this back before the initial release, but my device never got it so I never dug any more. Are there any other surprises I might want to know about?

So I don't get it this device scores low on benchmark's? But has a quad core processor?

I don't really get it either, but this phone is not a top end HTC phone. It's more mid. I bought mine for like $100 and it's only 1.2 GHz. Do you know of any other 1.2 GHz quad core phones that score better than 18k? Some devs have tried to overclock with no success.

I don't really get it either, but this phone is not a top end HTC phone. It's more mid. I bought mine for like $100 and it's only 1.2 GHz. Do you know of any other 1.2 GHz quad core phones that score better than 18k? Some devs have tried to overclock with no success.

Yes I know some my last two devices one of them was the galaxy light and the other was the lg Leon but that was when I was with metro. What carrier do you have ?

Yes I know some my last two devices one of them was the galaxy light and the other was the lg Leon but that was when I was with metro. What carrier do you have ?

I just looked up the Samsung Galaxy Light and the specs said 1.4 GHz, the Desire 510 is 1.2 GHz. The LG Leon is Cortex-A53, like the 64-bit version of the Desire 510. The one some of us have that scores low is the Cortex-A7 32-bit.

My carrier is Boost Mobile.

When I was looking at the desire 510 I was wondering get if there WAS anything but 1.2ghz quad cores. I'd still kite to see x64 implementation on Android. I can't imagine what would be better but I know it would be.

And yeah it's a quad core but it scores the same as my old device (which was a dual core 1.2ghz) and I have a 1.5ghz dual core that will slap this one to death on its worst day (for antutu benchmark that is.... Real world performance I can't tell between the two in surfing or game play) that 1.5ghz I was talking about is modded to death though and I have to say I was IMPRESSED with the dev community there. They took the boot time down to around 10 seconds and still left a wide range of function. Even ported in a higher version of Android. To make a long story short I "put up with" this device. It's not bad once you start fiddling with it, but I can't raise the benchmark

I just looked up the Samsung Galaxy Light and the specs said 1.4 GHz, the Desire 510 is 1.2 GHz. The LG Leon is Cortex-A53, like the 64-bit version of the Desire 510. The one some of us have that scores low is the Cortex-A7 32-bit.

My carrier is Boost Mobile.
When I was looking at the desire 510 I was wondering get if there WAS anything but 1.2ghz quad cores. I'd still kite to see x64 implementation on Android. I can't imagine what would be better but I know it would be.

And yeah it's a quad core but it scores the same as my old device (which was a dual core 1.2ghz) and I have a 1.5ghz dual core that will slap this one to death on its worst day (for antutu benchmark that is.... Real world performance I can't tell between the two in surfing or game play) that 1.5ghz I was talking about is modded to death though and I have to say I was IMPRESSED with the dev community there. They took the boot time down to around 10 seconds and still left a wide range of function. Even ported in a higher version of Android. To make a long story short I "put up with" this device. It's not bad once you start fiddling with it, but I can't raise the benchmark

pattyboi is working on a ton of kernel mods that I believe offer some performance enhancements. I would work on it if I needed the phone to perform better. It's the best phone I've ever had, so I have no need for it to do better. The only other Android phones I have had were single cores. The Samsung Galaxy Prevail was one of them. It was overclocked to 1.8 GHz, but it only scored about 12k max. I planned to get the Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2, to gradually upgrade, but this one was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Plus, my wife got one first and I loved playing around with hers. I honestly don't see why I would need to upgrade this phone. It meets my needs perfectly at the moment. The only complaint I had was of the low storage space, but that was easily fixed by using Aparted and Link2SD. Pretty much all I do now is help others with problems they have with the phone since I'm perfectly content with it.

Hopefully when we get Lollipop, we will be able to overclock successfully and see what this phone is really capable of. Even if we can't, this device is a major upgrade for anyone that has an old Android device and can't afford one of the flagship phones.

I used to hunger for overclock on my device but now I think that optimization is the way to go. These things are only made for a certain amount of heat and while I know overclock can be done, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it safely.

You are right it is a nice device, it's about the hardest one I've had to optimize, which is funny because I've learned along the way. My first device I tried to optimize like a Windows machine - right down to Defrag! :) I am downright stumped with this device though (not that stumping me is some sort of challenge or anything). I've deSensed the stock rom by hand and used deSensed version,, set the governors to all kinds different things, zip aligned the rom.... Plus a few other things I can't think of right now. Still lagging. I'm sticking with this one though until they make models with a dozen cores or something :)

I'm sticking with this for a while, too. It does seem very difficult to mod. Samsungs seem like they are much easier. The challenge is pretty fun, though. I agree optimization is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom