• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I need expert help

jjohn7293

Android Enthusiast
I followed every step exactly the same as before, and I was trying to soup up my brothers phone. He has the same one, and was really jealous of my sense 4 :)

He assured me that he had to update from 2.2, but he was obviously misinformed... After flashing the 2.2 update, the phone went black and won't power back on. Is this fixable?

what steps were you following? sounds like you either flashed an incompatible boot image,or if you have flashed froyo on a device shipped with GB,it just takes forevcer to fully boot. as long as 30 minutes.

it should be fixable,but the solution will depend on exactly what youve done.

what steps were you following? sounds like you either flashed an incompatible boot image,or if you have flashed froyo on a device shipped with GB,it just takes forevcer to fully boot. as long as 30 minutes.

it should be fixable,but the solution will depend on exactly what youve done.

I followed the instructions to manually downgrade the phone from gingerbread to froyo. It won't even power on to the boot screen when pressing and holding the power button.

I also used the HTC dev unlock bootloader instructions beforehand in order to boot 4ext recovery and flash superuser. Afterwards I relocked the bootloader. Root worked fine, I tested that before proceeding.

I followed the instructions to manually downgrade the phone from gingerbread to froyo. It won't even power on to the boot screen when pressing and holding the power button.

Yup,that's typical of a froyo hboot on a gb-shipped device,and the reason there are the disclaimers,and a method wich doesn't involve a full downgrade. Pull the battery,and turn the phone on normally. Put it in a drawer and don't watch it,lol. Give it at least half an hour and check to see if its powered on.

Last time I encountered this,the user went ahead and proceded with the s-off instructions,then ran a gb ruu. The only way he could get to fastboot was ro 'adb reboot bootloader' from the os. It somewhere around 15 minutes for the boot to fastboot to occur :eek: you can try that,or wait for me to give you some further instructions

Yup,that's typical of a froyo hboot on a gb-shipped device,and the reason there are the disclaimers,and a method wich doesn't involve a full downgrade. Pull the battery,and turn the phone on normally. Put it in a drawer and don't watch it,lol. Give it at least half an hour and check to see if its powered on.

Last time I encountered this,the user went ahead and proceded with the s-off instructions,then ran a gb ruu. The only way he could get to fastboot was ro 'adb reboot bootloader' from the os. It somewhere around 15 minutes for the boot to fastboot to occur :eek: you can try that,or wait for me to give you some further instructions

This is much appreciated. I will do this when I get back to the house, but just fyi I tried turning it on and it wouldn't even light up the screen... Was it still attempting to take an hour long boot?

This is much appreciated. I will do this when I get back to the house, but just fyi I tried turning it on and it wouldn't even light up the screen... Was it still attempting to take an hour long boot?

yup. first time i encountered it,we thot it was dead,then it finally powered on. some research showed thats a typical scenario.

heres what you want to do if it boots all te way:
-download this file: PD98IMG-ace-0.85.0024-hboot.zip
this is a newer GB hboot that should allow the phone to act normally. extract it,and place the hboot image inside into your adb/fastboot folder(miniadb_inspire folder)
-procede with step 6. prior to entering any commands,check the md5 of your hboot image:

md5sums hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0

it should return hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0 2a28dcd53ea26504be9a86572a348aa1

if it doesnt,do not procede!(at least with this following part,you can go ahead with step 6)

if it matches,then you can procede. when your pushing psneuter,etc. in the first batch of commands,also push the hboot:

adb push hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0 /data/local/

then after attempting the gfree command(/data/local/gfree -f),write the new hboot:
dd if=/data/local/hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

as i said,just make sure that md5sum matches,as writing a corrupt image will leave your phone in an unrepairable state.

assuming you get thru wpthis with no errors,you should be able to write the new hboot so the phone will act normally.

if you get thru it all with no errors,then adb reboot

the subsequent boot may be a long(put it in a drawer ;)) one,or a normal one,im not sure,as the new hboot may need a reboot to be written and be doing the booting.

after all that,boot to hboot and make sure gfree worked,or didnt,and if it did,go ahead and run a new GB ruu. you can install recovery at that point as a PD98IMG,and flash a rom,root,etc.

i havent tested this on my inspire,but to the best of my knowledge it should work. ive got to get to work,but ill try and watch if you have questions :)

yup. first time i encountered it,we thot it was dead,then it finally powered on. some research showed thats a typical scenario.

heres what you want to do if it boots all te way:
-download this file: PD98IMG-ace-0.85.0024-hboot.zip
this is a newer GB hboot that should allow the phone to act normally. extract it,and place the hboot image inside into your adb/fastboot folder(miniadb_inspire folder)
-procede with step 6. prior to entering any commands,check the md5 of your hboot image:

md5sums hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0

it should return hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0 2a28dcd53ea26504be9a86572a348aa1

if it doesnt,do not procede!(at least with this following part,you can go ahead with step 6)

if it matches,then you can procede. when your pushing psneuter,etc. in the first batch of commands,also push the hboot:

adb push hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0 /data/local/

then after attempting the gfree command(/data/local/gfree -f),write the new hboot:
dd if=/data/local/hboot_7230_Ace_0.85.0024_110411.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

as i said,just make sure that md5sum matches,as writing a corrupt image will leave your phone in an unrepairable state.

assuming you get thru wpthis with no errors,you should be able to write the new hboot so the phone will act normally.

if you get thru it all with no errors,then adb reboot

the subsequent boot may be a long(put it in a drawer ;)) one,or a normal one,im not sure,as the new hboot may need a reboot to be written and be doing the booting.

after all that,boot to hboot and make sure gfree worked,or didnt,and if it did,go ahead and run a new GB ruu. you can install recovery at that point as a PD98IMG,and flash a rom,root,etc.

i havent tested this on my inspire,but to the best of my knowledge it should work. ive got to get to work,but ill try and watch if you have questions :)
Thanks a ton! I will try this as soon as I can get the phone to start... any suggestions? Not even the led light is on when i plug it in.

Charge battery in your phone if you think it might be low. Other than that, just pull the battery and power it on and forget about it. There's nothing you can do to speed it up , unfortunately

Charge battery in your phone if you think it might be low. Other than that, just pull the battery and power it on and forget about it. There's nothing you can do to speed it up , unfortunately
Ok, I went ahead and swapped out batteries. I put the one that wasnt booting into mine and its almost a full charge. there still isnt a LED light on for charging, and I held the power button down but still it doesnt act as if there was any reaction. If not even the led light turns on, does that mean that he is just SOL?

UPDATE!!!!

The phone just now lit up with the silver "htc" in the middle of a black screen! I believe this is download mode, or RUU mode or something, so what should I do now? :)

Would it be advisable to inject the hboot into the original RUU that i had earlier flashed and then flash again???

Since you are in this mode, I would try and run a new GB ruu. You can't use the hboot file because it is an unsigned file. You are still as on, so you're limited to files with HTC signatures . Try and run whatever ruu that was his current software before

Since you are in this mode, I would try and run a new GB ruu. You can't use the hboot file because it is an unsigned file. You are still as on, so you're limited to files with HTC signatures . Try and run whatever ruu that was his current software before
I do have the latest gingerbread RUU... Would that work?

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens.
Ok, so I was stupid and didnt put the sd card back in for sig checking. I had to unplug it to insert and it wouldnt recognize aterwards. I pulled battery and now the led is actually lighting up... not doing anything yet tho

Ok right now it has been at the white HTC screen for maybe 30 minutes. It initially was vibrating for nearly a minute.

Ok, so it was stuck at the htc logo all day. No luck, but i did remove the battery and then tape down the power/volume down. it is now booted into hboot, but it isnt responding to adb, any suggestions for this?

zetupuzu.jpg

This is the screen it's stuck on right now.

Keep periodically pressing or holding the power button and trying get to fastboot. That's about the only thing I can think of at the moment.

If you get to Fastboot, you can try and run the ruu

any luck? you may have a little more luck if you remove the sd card prior to entering hboot. it will not need to be present to run the RUU from fastboot.

swap out your charged batteries again before trying to get back to hboot,then fastboot,if there is any question that the phone is low on battery charge.

any luck? you may have a little more luck if you remove the sd card prior to entering hboot. it will not need to be present to run the RUU from fastboot.

swap out your charged batteries again before trying to get back to hboot,then fastboot,if there is any question that the phone is low on battery charge.

I kind of gave up. I didn't remove the sd card, but I guess that's worth a shot... I was in hboot earlier, but couldn't get into fastboot :(

Back
Top Bottom