• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I really would love to root my Hero (Sprint)

OK I have to head out,but MCat will be around a little later on, he is 6 hours behind us, so you will have him for a while, nice talking to you, you ever need help just holler

Thanks! :) I really appreciate all your time and patience. Time flies when I get on the computer or play with my phone. Doing both at once is unreal.

*deleted panicked post* Finally got the phone to sync with laptop! Just needed a little sleep.

On another subject for just a second, dh has the Evo and I can't get the HTC Sense weather widget to stop saying DeLand for its location. I've hunted and tried all I could to change it but it won't even let me enter the city we live in. :thinking:
I personally would not delete anything, you may delete something that will cause an issue, but if you want to delete Nascar, Football etc... then download Titanium backup that will delete those apps, do not delete Gtalk, I would flash yourself an AOSP ROM without the Sprint Bloatware, just do a Nandroid back up of your rooted stock, incase you mess up

How do I do that Nandroid back up? Also, when you say "flash a ROM" what exactly does that mean?
I'm all set with ROM Manager and Titanium Backup. I would like to try LiquidSense 2.1 and I just need to know what my next step is. :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I did the two operations you mentioned in your latest postand I have ROM Manager and Titanium Backup. Now what?

---I keep reading about CM6. Is that a ROM?
---When you say "flash a ROM" what exactly does that mean?
---Is LiquidSense 2.1 a ROM and is it somehow similar to what came on the Hero?
---I would love to have the little green guy back on my splash screen too.

Upvote 0
---I keep reading about CM6. Is that a ROM? Yes, it is a ROM. It's Froyo 2.2 without HTC Sense.
---When you say "flash a ROM" what exactly does that mean? either load or install a ROM. I think these two words are easier to undertand lol
---Is LiquidSense 2.1 a ROM and is it somehow similar to what came on the Hero? Yes, with the exception that it doesn't come with all those useless apps that can't be removed without rooting and so, you're internal memory will have like 90% of free space
---I would love to have the little green guy back on my splash screen too. Yes, there's a way to do it. There was a thread about this some months ago. I asked for it, but never got a response on this.

Upvote 0
HAHA - Check out the Themes section - beleive there is a way to get your grean guy BOOT ANIMATION BACK......

Don has posted his step By Step instructions on how he rooted and flashed a rom in the all things root section. Check over there.

Now - you have a nandroid - soooo you can always go back to your phone JUST as it is.

cm6 is a Rom it is a bare bones Rom - You will need to flash gapps and Sprint VVm(if you use it.)

Flash a rom means remove your current rom and install a new one.

Liquid sense - is a good fast SENSE based rom - You can flash just the rom and everything is there (market voice mail - google apps etc.)

I use AOSP - It is BARE BONES but fast.

Read read read in the all things root section...LOTS of good advice.

Upvote 0
HAHA - Check out the Themes section - beleive there is a way to get your grean guy BOOT ANIMATION BACK......

Don has posted his step By Step instructions on how he rooted and flashed a rom in the all things root section. Check over there.

Now - you have a nandroid - soooo you can always go back to your phone JUST as it is.

cm6 is a Rom it is a bare bones Rom - You will need to flash gapps and Sprint VVm(if you use it.)

Flash a rom means remove your current rom and install a new one.

Liquid sense - is a good fast SENSE based rom - You can flash just the rom and everything is there (market voice mail - google apps etc.)

I use AOSP - It is BARE BONES but fast.

Read read read in the all things root section...LOTS of good advice.

Thank you so much for the explainations. I have been reading lots of stuff on this board, especially in the all things root section but since I don't have the background or experience, sometimes it's like reading a different language. LOL. I guess I want to try Liquid Sense. I am happy with the Sprint Navigation app. If that's not there, is there a way to add it afterwards?

I think after reading the other threads I may have an idea of what to do next. Please correct me if I have anything wrong.

Download the ROM to my laptop then connect my phone and add the ROM to my SD card. Then, I assume, the ROM Manager or Titanium Backup is used to get it installed on my phone. .......Am I close?:eek:

Upvote 0
Yes - You don't HAVE to download from your lap top - then transfer from your phone -
You can just download from your Phones Browser.... (thats what I do)

You CAN use Rom manager - its probably good to do it that way the first time.....I do it manually now - especially if I need to change kernals and themes and any other mods.....

Upvote 0
Yes - You don't HAVE to download from your lap top - then transfer from your phone -
You can just download from your Phones Browser.... (thats what I do)

Sometimes using the phone browser can be a bit annoying, too, so what I do sometimes is I go on my computer copy whatever link and text it to my phone using this website Send a Text Message for Free! then I just click on the link on the text message that I got on my phone and download the file from there

Upvote 0
I'm getting so excited to do this so of course I have to go to my MIL's birthday party now. When I get home, I will attempt to install a new ROM. I would love any of your opinions as to which LS to use, LiquidSense1.1Deodexed or LiquidSense1.1 ? Thanks in advance if you guys answer me. I will hopefully be back before 9pm. You all are so awesome to share your knowledge with me. I'm the type of girl who'd rather go phone shopping than clothes or shoe shopping. :D THIS IS FUN!

Upvote 0
Deodexed allows for themeing...a LITTLE slower,,,,
Odexed is faster but no themes...

If you think this is so fun - Skip the sense (snapper) and get into the senseless (Blue Marlin) WAY more fun!

Ok, so you know I have to ask... what are themes and what is Blue Marlin like? Would I be able to have a more fun splash screen? It's kind of silly but I really got to like seeing the android wave to me when I turned my phone on.

Upvote 0
: ) Ok - I was using a fishing metaphore - Your from Tampa - made an asumption!
HAHA - -

themes are just custom colors and Icons - You flash them Over a Rom or they are a part of the build....ie - cm6 Extremly Blue - is a fully themed Rom -

I beleive the silly android splash screen can be found in the Themes section - along with instructions on how to load it.

Upvote 0
I'm gearing up to root and ROM as well. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but do any of you folks have a link to a page on AndroidForums or elsewhere that lists all of the available ROMs to date and their characteristics? I see that some run lean and mean (CM6) while others replicate stock without the bloatware.

Here's a link on XDA that shows the main list: ALL ROMS.

There's quite a number of choices... just wanting to know what they are and pros/cons of each. Why would someone want Android 2.0 instead of going to a ROM based on 2.2? Also, Non-developer ROM's versus Developer ROM's. I take it non-Developer ones mean that they are recombined existing components rather that rewritten firmware?

Thanks! ~Xev

Upvote 0
That is a Large question.
IF you like the Sense look and Feel - Fresh/Liquid Sense/NFX
If you want to Run Froyo (2.2) Cm6 and AOSP -
There is a 2.2 sense being worked on - but not complete yet.

Dev Roms USUALLY mean they are still working on it....lots of bugs.

Thanks for the response, MahaloCat. :)
I'll check DonB's sig for the latest/best tutorial on rooting.

As for ROM's, I really like HTC Sense so I'd probably want to go with something that looks like it. Maybe Liquid Sense or NFX. See how it performs and then go from there. But that ROM list I linked to doesn't mention them... not sure where they stand.

It looks like those who go with Froyo, use Launcher Pro for their main interface. I just found it a bit limited with only 3 screen panels. Also, the graphics weren't as smooth/refined as on Sense... at least, that's how it looked running it on stock 2.1. I have the latest 2.1 update from Sprint.

I'm getting a strong feeling that it may be better to go with a non-developer ROM first... get myself acclimated to that before taking the dive into developer ROM's. And that brings me back to the Froyo 2.2 ROM. It's the latest and greatest, but seriously stripped down. The Sense interface for it is still in development. But... is the 2.2 update significant from 2.1?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones