• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I rooted and used Link2SD to move all my apps but it's FULL again. Please help

garybeck

Android Enthusiast
I rooted my LG OV. the only reason I did this is because I ran out of space. too many apps that "have to" be on the internal memory.

for a few months it's been fine. yesterday I got a message that the memory is getting full. I went into the settings and the Link2SD app and moved everything that I could (the ones that are system based, it said I can't do it).

I'm still full. it says 160MB used, 19MB free.

please help. what else can i do?

Could you post 3 screen shots of the Link2SD app.
1. Select the show user apps option in the View category. App home screen shot.
2. Select the show system apps in the View category. App home screen shot

3. Show me the storage info screen (menu/storage info).

You can delete some system apps.
I usually delete some of the pre-installed apps that I don't need like the browser, 3D wallpaper, Magic smoke wallpaper, the launcher (use my own), etc.
You should have more space though.
How many apps are in the partition, and totally linked?

There may be some runaway app that just keeps filling up with temporary files and never deletes them. I noticed the stock browser has done this to me before, it would just eat up whatever space I freed.

thanks AndyOpie150 I am going to do what you asked. I haven't forgotten, I've just been real busy. I just tried to update an app and it wouldn't let me, saying the memory is too low. So I really need to fix this. I'll post those screenshots asap. I appreciate the help.

I use storage analyzer, it scans your partitions and shows you which directories are using up the most space. On my tablet I found I had gigs and gigs worth of log files and lots of tombstones I could delete.

There are also apps like SD Maid that will scan for known files that hog space and delete them.

You can also look for folders from apps that no longer are installed and delete those.

Hello here (i think/hope) are the screenshots you asked for. any advice is appreciated. thanks.

2013-04-01-14-59-52.png

2013-04-01-15-00-00.png

2013-04-01-15-00-33.png

Could you post 3 screen shots of the Link2SD app.
1. Select the show user apps option in the View category. App home screen shot.
2. Select the show system apps in the View category. App home screen shot

3. Show me the storage info screen (menu/storage info).

You can delete some system apps.
I usually delete some of the pre-installed apps that I don't need like the browser, 3D wallpaper, Magic smoke wallpaper, the launcher (use my own), etc.
You should have more space though.
How many apps are in the partition, and totally linked?

Looking at your screen shots, it would appear you do not have a second partition on your uSD for Link2SD to use. When it is linked I think it should say linked and not on SD.

2013-04-01-15-00-33.png

Okie Dokie.
You need to install the ZenGarden recovery. Why you ask? Because with it you never need to take the sd card out of the phone to partition and format the partition to ext.4 or ext.3. It is the quickest and easiest way to set up a partition and change the format to ext.4 (all Gingerbread, Jellybean ROM's and some ICS ROM's)

Then go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/695963-link2sd-tutorial-new-updated-version.html

This will get you hooked up proper with Link2SD.
You need to make sure you have at least an 8GB micro SD card and choose a partition size that is not more than 20% of the actual usable space available (put in computer and right click on card, select properties)

Yes, I did not partition the sd card. I just used Link2SD to move the apps over there. didn't know I have to make a special partition for it first. why do I have to do that?

let's back up..... if I partition the card now, won't I lose some or all the data that is on there? I can't move all the apps back to the internal memory while I do that.... should I wipe the card clean, make a partition, and then reinstall all the apps?

also, regarding the 20% rule.... are you saying the partition I make for Link2SD can't be more than 20% of the size of the card? the card I currently have is 16GB.... so I can only use 20% of that for apps that Link2SD is linking? That would be 3GB. Is that enough for all my apps?

Is it kind of like Link2SD has to make a special place on the card that is fooling the phone to think it's part of the internal memory?

I guess I'm a little confused about what I'm doing, why, and how... sorry for my ignorance here. I only rooted my phone because it because useless when the internal memory couldn't take any more apps.

thanks

Read the linked to tutorial.
Dont make the partition larger than 2GB. Again try and install the ZenGarden recovery first to make things easier on yourself.

Download Zengarden and put on root of SD card.
Open terminal emulator and type in:
Code:
 flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
Put the name of the recovery (exactly as it's spelled on the SD card) in place of "recovery.img " or rename the recovery to just "recovery.img".

The menu is different so look it over real good first.

If you have more questions post there.

ok here's an update

i followed the directions written by the developer to make a new partition

a bunch of my apps were already moved to the SD card by Link2SD but they were not linked.

for these I tried creating a link. for some it worked, but for some of the big ones I got a low memory warning so I couldn't link them.

i theorized that something wasn't working right because they were moved to the sd card without linking originally, and it would be better to link and move at the same time, as the app normally does. so for these bigger apps, I uinstalled them first

as I uninstalled them, the internal memory started clearing up. seemed weird, because they were on my sd card supposedly, not the internal. perhaps this was all not working because I didn't have the partition before....

then i reinstalled the apps. I had link2sd set to automatically put new apps on the sd card and to link them.

so far it seems like the internal memory is doing better, but I have more apps to move. I'm thinking I should uninstall ALL the apps and reinstall , now that link2sd can work properly with a partition.

i'll report back, in case this is useful to anyone.

thanks again andyopie

update..... seems to be working now. I have "linked" most of my apps and the internal memory is holding steady around 39% free. it does go down a bit every time I install an app so I'll keep an eye on it.

it's a little confusing, the Link2sd app. When an app is "linked" there is still an option to "create link." Why would you want to link an app that is already linked? it's also a little confusing where it says "on SD card." if it's linked, it's on the SD card too, isn't it? It's just on a different partition and linked, instead of "moved" I think. It's all a little confusing but I think I got it now. thanks again everyone.

I believe 'create link' is for moving a SD card between phones (but I could be wrong.)

Also, for the record, I prefer Int2sd, rather than link2sd. Of course, if it's working, thats great too.

Apps on just the SD card are not linked to the dalvik cache.
Apps that are linked are moved to the ext partition on the sd card, then linked to the dalvik cache. This also allows the app to open a whole lot quicker.
Link2SD works better if an app is linked while being installed.
It also will allow you to delete preinstalled system apps (be very careful what you delete), move system apps to the SD card or internal storage and then link them, as well as move any app to the System.
I personally like to get rid of all preinstalled apps I don't use to get my RAM up above 65% ( I have over 90 apps on the ext partition that are linked to the dalvik cache). I still have over 100MB of free internal storage and over 60% RAM.

Okie Dokie.
You need to install the ZenGarden recovery. Why you ask? Because with it you never need to take the sd card out of the phone to partition and format the partition to ext.4 or ext.3. It is the quickest and easiest way to set up a partition and change the format to ext.4 (all Gingerbread, Jellybean ROM's and some ICS ROM's)

Then go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/695963-link2sd-tutorial-new-updated-version.html

This will get you hooked up proper with Link2SD.
You need to make sure you have at least an 8GB micro SD card and choose a partition size that is not more than 20% of the actual usable space available (put in computer and right click on card, select properties)

20% of which partition? The FAT one or the Non-Fat one?

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom