• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Icon File Transfer Issues

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Why am I unable to drag and drop .png files to my GNex? I'm rooted, running AOKP MIlestone 4. It appears that I can transfer other file types, but not png files.

FYI, I'm trying to grab icon images...shouldn't this be possible? What am I missing?

What type of transfer are you doing? ie. via USB cable, airdroid over wifi, etc.

I use airdroid all the type to import and export files of all kinds with no issues. I rarely use USB as its a hassle to grab the cable and plug in.....but I don't recall ever having that kind of issue.

I'm on a USB connection and I can transfer any other type of file...but not png files...USB debugging is on...I don't get it...

Hmm. I just plugged in my USB cable and transferred a PNG file both ways with no problem. Are you getting an error message or is it just not doing anything?

I have USB debugging OFF.

Also, when you plug in the USB cable does it show you connected as a Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP). Mine is Media Device and works fine.

Also, are you using the USB cable that came with the GN? I had some problems with another cable.

Finally, read this thread.... people have dealt with similar issues.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/463988-transfer-files-pc-nexus-doesnt-work.html

Two common issues/solutions were.... can't transfer image files into the DCIM folder on the GN in MTP mode - either switch to PTP mode or create a new folder.
And update to the latest version (11 I think) of Windows Media Player. No clue why that would work but a lot of people reported succes.

Thanks Tim K.

I'm not getting an error message, but rather the red circle with the line thru it (like the "say no to drugs" sign). I'm connected as MTP and everything else transfers fine. Very odd. I'll play with it some more at home and report my findings.

Works perfectly at home...in all honesty (and I'm embarrassed to admit this), I don't think I extracted the files at work...stupid mistake...all is well! Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom