• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ideas for features in Android Lollipop?

kman9637

What new features would you guys like to see incorporated into the next version of Android? Personally, I'd love to see Google introduce multiwindow support, like Samsung has, make things quite a bit easier in my opinion. What would YOU like to see?

An open bootloader on AT&T and Verizon. Or at least one version locked up tight including Knox (which doesn't really work anyway) and another version with nothing locked - and the stores carrying both (even if you have to wait a day for them to get your unlocked version).

Built-in call recording that works.

An easier way to change the default app for a function, and a way to add apps to the list of apps used for a particular function.

A good single-click backup method that backs up everything (with checkboxes to decide what you don't want backed up) and a choice of local or cloud backup.

And egg in my beer, a million dollars and a long healthy life.

tap screen to wake .. like LG phones

listen for commands 24/7.. without killing battery like moto phones

What new features would you guys like to see incorporated into the next version of Android? Personally, I'd love to see Google introduce multiwindow support, like Samsung has, make things quite a bit easier in my opinion. What would YOU like to see?

Multi tasking is so big for me. I would love to see that. Is that the official name of the next version of Android?

Multi tasking is so big for me. I would love to see that. Is that the official name of the next version of Android?

Not official yet, and it could be another brand partnership like KitKat.
Can't say there's much I feel like I'm missing out on. One of the biggest though is the AOSP camera app is such garbage. Google should be ashamed of that.

Can't say there's much I feel like I'm missing out on. One of the biggest though is the AOSP camera app is such garbage. Google should be ashamed of that.

I don't have that problem so I never looked into it.

The rumors for 4.4 was the missed the boat on getting the big camera update out, so I'd assume were getting some love in the next big release.

Other than the stock camera app, that's about it. I'll be pleasantly surprised with whatever else they have in store

Edit:
Quick settings pull down and customizable tiles would be nice. Easy pull from the dev community

Oh yeah, I remember the rumors/leaks related to the new camera app. I'm loving the love (heh) that the Photos app recently received in the editing department - really looking forward to improving things in the capturing department!

the rumors for 4.4 was the missed the boat on getting the big camera update out, so i'd assume were getting some love in the next big release.

Other than the stock camera app, that's about it. I'll be pleasantly surprised with whatever else they have in store

edit:
Quick settings pull down and customizable tiles would be nice. Easy pull from the dev community

aawwww yiss

Multiple sources say it's 4.5 Lollipop, but we could be wrong :) And I agree with your last point

Moonshine is googles internal name for its icon redesign according to android police

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/04/14/rumor-googles-android-app-icons-to-get-a-moonshine-makeover/

You'll also notice first article you linked uses android police as its source

From the second link:
We are expecting that the new operating system of Google will be Android 4.5, Although it can be Android 5.0. Nothing is confirmed at this earlier stage.

The reality is at this stage everyone is making their best guess. Android police is one of the better android news sites, and they were 100% convinced wed have android 4.4 key lime pie last fall.

Drop MTP. Reinstate UMS and expect vendors to provide SD card slots.

Drop every WebKit advancement from Jellybean on - it was working before, it's broken now and no, some of us do not buy into the awful browser that is Chrome. Stop hamstringing WebKit - it was only done to make Chrome look good. You Failed.

Replace the drop down tiles (widget switches) with line-item switches - just like the ones that HTC did first in 2011. They did it first, they did it best, you didn't invent it in 2013 like most people think, you just screwed with it. Only people who never used the original were fooled.

Stop telling people that on-screen buttons are THE standard. It's a simple configuration switch in the build to support either hardware or software buttons. And yes, hardware buttons are too programmable, just like on-screen. And the switch is still there in the Android source code - and while you may be fooling some people, you aren't fooling all of us.

Have the storage settings show filesystems, partitions and mount points. Stop leading new users to believe that Pictures, Music and Storage numbers are actually true. Prevent Samsung from telling the huge ass lie here that they tell with the SGS4 in the USA (but not elsewhere) ever again.

Require all new device setups to tell the user in three different places that this is not iOS and no, apps do not need to be multi-core optimized. And haven't for a long time. Like - ever.

Provide a setting to store all SMS/MMS to the SD card or user-exposed storage. It's past time for that.

Allow users to drop Hangouts in favor of Gtalk. Gtalk worked.

Put ad blockers back in the Play Store. You haven't stopped us from safe web browsing yet and you're not going to unless you break the *nix networking model. Give up, suck it up and shut up about how evil they are when they're not.

Stop hiding the developer options. It's not kute and it's not funnie.

Complete every part of the missing Bluetooth stacks in the base software. Stop conforming to Bluetooth levels for marketing and put in everything required to work - with everything. Missing Bluetooth functions that feature phones had five years ago is also neither quute nor phuney.

Put Andy Rubin back in charge of Android. Make him happy, keep him happy, don't argue with him. Let him hold press conferences where he gets to moon people when things like "Chrome-Android fusion" or "maximizing the user experience space" are mentioned. Give him bonuses if he does actually moon people for that.

Do all of that and only then will I have an Android superior to the one I'm running.

That's my wish list. :p

glad you were able to get it off your chest..
now.. repeat after me.
"F it... it is only a phone.. and there is always IOS or WP"

:P

Android police is one of the better android news sites, and they were 100% convinced wed have android 4.4 key lime pie last fall.

To be fair, Google when Google announced the name, they said something about the Kit Kat name only coming at the last minute after they unexpectedly got the OK from Nestle.

To be fair, Google when Google announced the name, they said something about the Kit Kat name only coming at the last minute after they unexpectedly got the OK from Nestle.
The agreement on the kitkat name had been reached nearly an entire year before KitKat was released (spoken agreement reached in November). Executives had a secret meeting at MWC in February to finalize everything, and KitKat was released in October.

Googles internal android team continued using the klp codename to keep it all top secret.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-23926938

This was published on October 13, 2013, same day that the new Android boss, Sundar, announced KitKat -

http://www.android.com/kitkat/

The candy bar coupons were already shipping.

Very unlikely that a coordinated cross-brand marketing push between two unrelated companies happened as the result of a last-minute ok, or that it was unexpected. Except by outsiders not privy to the deal.

Edit - ninja'd lol.

I don't know anything about this...

but my .02$ is that ... it is all relative to.. "last minute" to what?
it could mean.. last minute to their selecting a name internally..

I don't know anything about this...

but my .02$ is that ... it is all relative to.. "last minute" to what?
it could mean.. last minute to their selecting a name internally..

To sum up the article I posted -- 11 months before kitkat was released - google called nestle, and they agreed to use kitkat 2 days later.

Early brought up another good point with all of the promotional items. Candybars, videos, websites, packaging... all would

Back
Top Bottom