• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Improve Battery Life!

Well, I did some screen shots after some constant use to see how the battery holds up. With Opera, I was mostly using data connection (4G non-LTE) and some WiFi.

SC20120429-172726.png

SC20120429-172624.png

SC20120429-172637.png

SC20120429-172649.png

SC20120429-172701.png

When I'm out I force hspa+. Either way I have a serious drain while using the note. The picture above was overnight. I don't know how in the world that battery drain happen like that. Very very frustrating and I guess I will have to invest in a pregnant phone or have them send be out another battery. Thing is I live this device so unlike my others where as I just got another device I can't go back to a smaller screen size LBVFS"

I would complain about it draining overnight when it isn't in use. If you are still inside your 30 day period ATT will probably replace your battery. They have done it for me before. Good luck! :)

...Just installed Easy Battery along with the killer. Seems to be helping but still...Is there a way to just disable LTE and use hspa/3g?

I created a 2nd APN using my Media Net settings (Name: HSPA, APN Name: wap.Cingular, everything else blank) and the connection will stay off LYE...for most of the time. I just got my Note a few days ago and still doing full charge/discharge cycles, and monitoring battery usage. I've done (4) full cycles and yesterday noticed first improvement. I went 13 hours off the charger and had 68% charge left.

However I don't believe that LTE, as a technology, is to blame for accelerated battery drain, as much as a "weak LTE signal" (or any weak signal). I'm in the Balt/DC corridor, and have noticed that I always have LTE signal everywhere that I've been (and I always check given that I'm a VoIP eng. by trade). I got 40Mbps via Speed Test app in my house, but if I move 20ft into the other room, it drops down to 14Mbps. Not an issue for me, but I do have an issue with the phone reporting 4/5 bars, with a -94dBm signal...especially when -105dBm is the territory where calls start to not connect. Historically I've noticed higher drain rates when signal is lower than -87dBm.

c6e4c896-a7a6-e83e.jpg

As far as HSPA being "less taxing" than LTE, when switching APN, an locking in HSPA, if nothing else, my HSPA signal is ~ -77dBm, again, in the same spot in my house. FWIW, I believe this is an issue due to marginal antennae/radio/radio configuration with the Note. My T-Mobile branded Motorola Defy, far from a flagship phone, gets a -67dBm HSPA signal on AT&T (again at home), and consistently maintains a 10 to 15dBm advantage over even the International version that my Co-worker has (at our work site).

After my battery has "settled", I'm pretty confident I can get at least 24hrs. out of a charge, with the display drawing most of the power, good enough for my normal use. Now if I can only do something with the oversaturated color...

I created a 2nd APN using my Media Net settings (Name: HSPA, APN Name: wap.Cingular, everything else blank) and the connection will stay off LYE...for most of the time. I just got my Note a few days ago and still doing full charge/discharge cycles, and monitoring battery usage. I've done (4) full cycles and yesterday noticed first improvement. I went 13 hours off the charger and had 68% charge left.

However I don't believe that LTE, as a technology, is to blame for accelerated battery drain, as much as a "weak LTE signal" (or any weak signal). I'm in the Balt/DC corridor, and have noticed that I always have LTE signal everywhere that I've been (and I always check given that I'm a VoIP eng. by trade). I got 40Mbps via Speed Test app in my house, but if I move 20ft into the other room, it drops down to 14Mbps. Not an issue for me, but I do have an issue with the phone reporting 4/5 bars, with a -94dBm signal...especially when -105dBm is the territory where calls start to not connect. Historically I've noticed higher drain rates when signal is lower than -87dBm.

c6e4c896-a7a6-e83e.jpg

As far as HSPA being "less taxing" than LTE, when switching APN, an locking in HSPA, if nothing else, my HSPA signal is ~ -77dBm, again, in the same spot in my house. FWIW, I believe this is an issue due to marginal antennae/radio/radio configuration with the Note. My T-Mobile branded Motorola Defy, far from a flagship phone, gets a -67dBm HSPA signal on AT&T (again at home), and consistently maintains a 10 to 15dBm advantage over even the International version that my Co-worker has (at our work site).

After my battery has "settled", I'm pretty confident I can get at least 24hrs. out of a charge, with the display drawing most of the power, good enough for my normal use. Now if I can only do something with the oversaturated color...

Good info. I have pretty poor reception at home or at work. At home it shows -99 to -104 most of the time. At home I only get HSPA though, not LTE. The drain seems much slower at home than at work (LTE). I'll have to take a look at my signal strength tomorrow at the office.

Good info. I have pretty poor reception at home or at work. At home it shows -99 to -104 most of the time. At home I only get HSPA though, not LTE. The drain seems much slower at home than at work (LTE). I'll have to take a look at my signal strength tomorrow at the office.

That's pretty bad, as far as link quality, and battery drain, for either protocol. Again FWIW, I'm working from home today, and went to the store about an hour ago...still on varying LTE signal strengths (between -71dBm and -97dBm), I left the house with 72% battery, now on 71%. I can live with that.

This is overnight. The discharge rate while the phone is off is still a bother. I have juicedefender running, CPU down to 192mhz when screen is off. I'm going to see how I can get Att to send me a new battery, I'm sure it has to be that.

As you guessed, there's something wrong with your battery, if it's going down with no use (no screen, no wifi, and no wakes).

All I know is...TASKER! Turns 4g on ONLY when I'm out and about. Wifi at work, wifi at home and it turns of my 4G. It also turns auto brightness OFF when at home or work. I get better results this way.

Back
Top Bottom