• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

INC or TB?

golfbiz

question for you previous inc owners that have switched to TB....my eris which I really liked after rooting and installing the xtrsense rom finally developed the dreaded trackball defect and is pretty useless while charging because of the trackball issue. I called VZ since I am paying for the extended warranty and they said no prob that they would send me a replacement. I asked if I could get the inc instead because of the trackball issue. They checked and said yes but I would have to buy the back cover ($20) and battery ($40) since all their replacements came without those. In addition I would need charger ($30), so total cost of $90 for the replacement inc. I could upgrade to TB for $149 for 2 yr but told them I was only interested in 1 yr which would then be $219. So the inc for $90 and no new contract or the TB for $219 and 1 yr contract? The TB seems to have some issues with the battery which they say will get software update but I have heard the inc battery was not that great as well. Of course I want to be able to root either phone, has the xtrsense worked for those that have used that rom on their inc or TB?

The 4G is probably not as big a deal for me as I do most of my web surfing on wifi at home or office, more so than on the road...

I'm leaning to inc and seeing what comes out later this fall as I will still have my upgrade, would love any thoughts here to inc or TB...thanks

Everybody wants the lastest and greatest ( Myself Included ) But how much faster do we need our phones to run. My TB is a vast improvement over the X. I only do 1 year contracts and get a phone every year. My brother is happy with the OG Droid.
The Screen on my TB is great for web browsing.

Look at cellphoneshop.net for accessories, they are very reasonable.

Having owned both, I would say get the TB. The Inc is a great phone and has a great developer community supporting it, (if you're into rooting/ROMs) but the TB is in a league of it's own. The 4G speeds are insane, it's very snappy and responsive as well. I never thought I'd want a 4.3" screen, but now that I have it I don't know how I ever lived without all this extra real estate before. The developer community for the TB is already very impressive for a phone that hasn't even been out for a month yet. There are already 8-10 ROMs and a number of custom Kernels. Disregard the last sentence if you're not into rooting. I bought the TB on a whim as I had an available upgrade and wasn't really in the market for a new device, but I am so glad I did buy it. I can see myself hanging on to this phone for the 2 years and maybe even longer. It's everything I want in a cell phone. It will be hard to upgrade from this. Just my $.02

I share WormDoes's sentiments. I never thought I would want a bigger screen, but now that I have it, I could never go back. Plus the phone is faster than the Incredible.

You can get the back on eBay for $8, the usb cable that will work with your Eris charger for $1, and the battery for under $4. You could have a new Incredible for under $15.

Honestly, I think if I were in your shoes and hadn't been waiting and drooling and oogling over the T-Bolt for months on end, I'd probably go for the Inc. Sounds crazy since I'm head over heels for my T-Bolt, coming from the Inc. But my reason being, as Mustang said, you can pick up the parts you need for the Incredible for dirt cheap and get the Incredible WITHOUT a contract for next to nothing. You won't really be out much of anything if you decide to upgrade to the T-Bolt, or any other phone, for that matter, and still have the Incredible which still has a decent resale value. ;)

I've had all the three the Eris , Incredible and TB ... And if contract and money aren't a big deal then go for the Thunderbolt it's a huge upgrade over the Incredible . I used an incredible again yesterday and realized what a big diffrence it was . But saying that when I had my Incredible I was extremely happy with it and if you can get it off contract for pretty much nothing and not have to worry about a contract that might not be a bad idea

If you get the Thunderbolt on a 2yr contract you won't be able to upgrade that line for 20months . I honestly don't see anything coming out over the next 6months that would WOW me enough to upgrade from the Thunderbolt .

I'd just look at your needs , if you've been happy with the Eris up until now I have no problem saying that the Incredible will make you very happy for the next 20months it's an amazing phone I that exceeded my pre release expectations

You can get the back on eBay for $8, the usb cable that will work with your Eris charger for $1, and the battery for under $4. You could have a new Incredible for under $15.

IIRC, the Eris uses a mini usb and the Inc and micro. It's been a while since I had my Eris, but I remember using my old BB charges with it, but I couldn't use them with my Inc

Thanks guys, great feedback. I like the idea of taking the inc for under $15 just to get a good working smart phone which I can then give to my daughter while upgrading to TB as well. My other daughter already has the Samsung fascinate so I have the VZ family plan with 3 smart phones already, but would be passing on the inc to my daughter who has a non smart phone that I am paying $20 for that for her phone line which also includes unlimited texting and data for which she has no data to access with her current phone. Her upgrade comes in November which she wanted a smart phone, so the inc will be plenty good enough for her needs....so we would then basically have the TB, INC and Fascinate as our 3 smart phones. If something dramatic comes out in the next year I guess I could potentially use her upgrade coming in November.

Thanks again!

IIRC, the Eris uses a mini usb and the Inc and micro. It's been a while since I had my Eris, but I remember using my old BB charges with it, but I couldn't use them with my Inc
Yes, have a BB that works with the eris. Where is the best place to buy batteries for the inc, do the extended batteries work, the guy at VZ was trying to convince me to take the extended inc battery and special back with it for the same price as the conventional. I don't really want a thicker phone though as I am around a charger a lot at home, work, car to boost the battery....thanks

question for you previous inc owners that have switched to TB....my eris which I really liked after rooting and installing the xtrsense rom finally developed the dreaded trackball defect and is pretty useless while charging because of the trackball issue. I called VZ since I am paying for the extended warranty and they said no prob that they would send me a replacement. I asked if I could get the inc instead because of the trackball issue. They checked and said yes but I would have to buy the back cover ($20) and battery ($40) since all their replacements came without those. In addition I would need charger ($30), so total cost of $90 for the replacement inc. I could upgrade to TB for $149 for 2 yr but told them I was only interested in 1 yr which would then be $219. So the inc for $90 and no new contract or the TB for $219 and 1 yr contract? The TB seems to have some issues with the battery which they say will get software update but I have heard the inc battery was not that great as well. Of course I want to be able to root either phone, has the xtrsense worked for those that have used that rom on their inc or TB?

The 4G is probably not as big a deal for me as I do most of my web surfing on wifi at home or office, more so than on the road...

I'm leaning to inc and seeing what comes out later this fall as I will still have my upgrade, would love any thoughts here to inc or TB...thanks

I just switched from a DInc to a TB and let me tell you wow I am so happy. The DInc has been great for me, love that phone and will be sad when I trade in back to V, but the TB is great, 4G rocks and the phone is very snappy with it's response. The only thing you have to get use to coming from the Dinc is the grip, the TB is a bit bigger so you have to get use to the grip, but thats all. Go for it.

If I were you, I would get the Incredible and sell it brand new on eBay, they are going for $250 - $320 selling price. Then you would get paid for buying the Thunderbolt...

That's what I would do anyways. (if I follow your thread correctly)

If I were you, I would get the Incredible and sell it brand new on eBay, they are going for $250 - $320 selling price. Then you would get paid for buying the Thunderbolt...

That's what I would do anyways. (if I follow your thread correctly)
Good take, if I sold the INC for $250 after spending $15, I would then be buying the TB for $219 for 1 yr contract for upgrading, like getting the TB for free upgrading from the eris, seems like a no brainer if I wanted to wait on my daughter's upgrade for her in Nov...

I am a current Bolt owner who owned an INC (gave it to my wife upon TB's launch) and while I didn't read through this whole thread, some input I can add is my mother-in-law just text me earlier that she was at Verizon today trying to buy an INC for my sister-in-law and they told her the INC was discontinued and they couldn't even order one! Take it for what it is worth, I just thought it was coincidental reading your post and having that experience just today.

looking online for inc batteries, a few sites selling a battery that they say fits both the inc and eris....will the inc take the same battery as the eris as the stock eris battery is slightly more powerful than the inc at 1500 to 1300?

I am a current Bolt owner who owned an INC (gave it to my wife upon TB's launch) and while I didn't read through this whole thread, some input I can add is my mother-in-law just text me earlier that she was at Verizon today trying to buy an INC for my sister-in-law and they told her the INC was discontinued and they couldn't even order one! Take it for what it is worth, I just thought it was coincidental reading your post and having that experience just today.
That's true...INC has been discountinued, that is why I think they agreed to offer me one to replace my defective eris as they are not selling it anymore and the new inc 2 will replace it.

How do you like your TB? What are your thoughts on the battery life compared to your INC?...thanks

My advice would be to get the Inc and pay no more than $300 no contract and hold your upgrade until the rest of the phones hit over the next couple months. The TB is the latest but it ain't the greatest. It's a good phone but it's really nothing super ground breaking. It's a slightly beefier EVO on Verizon's 4G network. Get the Inc for now and sit back and wait that's if you are not like a lot of people that need the latest device. I'm assuming you don't since you have an Eris so I don't think you'd be drooling over this device like many would hope you are. Get the Inc.

My advice would be to get the Inc and pay no more than $300 no contract and hold your upgrade until the rest of the phones hit over the next couple months. The TB is the latest but it ain't the greatest. It's a good phone but it's really nothing super ground breaking. It's a slightly beefier EVO on Verizon's 4G network. Get the Inc for now and sit back and wait that's if you are not like a lot of people that need the latest device. I'm assuming you don't since you have an Eris so I don't think you'd be drooling over this device like many would hope you are. Get the Inc.
yeah, I'm leaning that way as I get the INC for free to replace my eris, add the battery, back and charger for cheap and still have my upgrade.

That's true...INC has been discountinued, that is why I think they agreed to offer me one to replace my defective eris as they are not selling it anymore and the new inc 2 will replace it.

How do you like your TB? What are your thoughts on the battery life compared to your INC?...thanks

I absolutely love my Bolt. And I loved the Inc, amazing phone. I am just one of those guys who gets all amped up over the latest HTC cell phone, so that's why I made the move. Plus I felt good knowing my wife would get a good phone to replace the old Tour she was using. To me, the TBolt is an Inc or steroids. All the things I loved Bout my Inc, with a larger screen, which I LOVE. I live in a 3G area for now, so the battery life is Damn near identical to my Inc. I do the same routine I did with my Inc...pop in a fresh battery in the morning before work, charge the spare with my external battery during the work day and then replace the battery again in the evening. This way, I NEVER have battery concerns.
Now, coincidentally, this weekend I was visiting family on LOng Island and they had 4G. I noticed my battery went don't quicker. But the weird thing was by Sunday evening, the battery seemed to not drop so quickly. As if the phone and battery needed to work out the 4G kinks. Probably just a farce, but it seemed to be the case. Regardless, this phone is slick.

All the HTC phones come with a USB charger and a separate USB cable. All you need to buy is a new USB cable and you can continue to use the old USB charger the eris came with. He can just buy a micro USB cable and plug that usb cable into the charger his eris came with.

Thanks for all the great replys....I decided to go with the incredible FOR NOW because it is bascially a free phone to replace my eris without using my upgrade which I now have.... I will use it for a few months then pass it on to my daughter and then upgrade to most likely the TB which sounds like an awesome phone....good luck and enjoy your TB, look forward to reading about the new roms coming out as I loved the xtrsense 5.0 I recently flashed on my eris, improved the battery and allowed many more apps with its cache2cache and eliminated any lag on the eris which allowed me to at least overclock to 710, plus I couldn't live without wireless teathering now as I have a cabin in northern ariz which has a VZ cell tower and the only broadband there is satellite which totally sucks as it is not only slow but very limited to how much you can download daily before they turn you off.....cheers!

I think you're making a great choice! It's cheaper in the end than upgrading both yours and your daughter's lines at the upgrade price.

I absolutely love my Bolt. And I loved the Inc, amazing phone. I am just one of those guys who gets all amped up over the latest HTC cell phone, so that's why I made the move. Plus I felt good knowing my wife would get a good phone to replace the old Tour she was using. To me, the TBolt is an Inc or steroids. All the things I loved Bout my Inc, with a larger screen, which I LOVE. I live in a 3G area for now, so the battery life is Damn near identical to my Inc. I do the same routine I did with my Inc...pop in a fresh battery in the morning before work, charge the spare with my external battery during the work day and then replace the battery again in the evening. This way, I NEVER have battery concerns.
Now, coincidentally, this weekend I was visiting family on LOng Island and they had 4G. I noticed my battery went don't quicker. But the weird thing was by Sunday evening, the battery seemed to not drop so quickly. As if the phone and battery needed to work out the 4G kinks. Probably just a farce, but it seemed to be the case. Regardless, this phone is slick.

True, but instead of losing hair or shrinking jewels, the TB's roid use caused it to lose about 5gb of internal storage ;) :)

Back
Top Bottom