• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Install first HTC Rom

icedice34

Feb 24, 2012
So I’ve been patiently waiting for Verizon and HTC to release the ICS update for my Rezound. However, I’m finally no longer patient. I’m thinking I’m going to install an ICS ROM. After looking around, I think I want to go with CleanRom 4.3 standard. I’ve been reading quite a bit of information on installing various ROM’s and I think I seem to be missing something.

Most of the posts around AndroidForums say to “delete the PH98IMG” from the SD card at some point during the install. However, the instructions for the CleanRom install don’t say anything about this.

I do plan to stay on the GB firmware so that I could take the OTA when it releases. So, following the steps on his site I Place ROM on SD Card and reboot to recovery. Then I wipe data/factory reset, (probably wipe cache/dalvik because I don’t see why not). Flash the ROM and it will prompt me to install the old firmware patch. Install that. Manually reboot to bootloader. Device will boot to fastboot. Press power to install the kernel/boot.img. Reboot. Then the final step he lists is “Profit!” (Not sure how I will profitJ).

Nowhere in there does it say anything about deleting a PH98IMG. What exactly is the PH98IMG? I guess I don't quite understand. I just want to make sure I do it right so I don’t screw up my phone. Don’t have the money to buy a new one if I break it!

Thanks!

PH98IMG is deposited on your sd card by the rom,and is the boot image containing the kernel that hboot will install.

you wont be able to delete PH98IMG during the install,but after the phone boots,you can plug it into your pc,place in disc drive mode,and then delete it from the sd card. you could also use a file manager to locate and delte the PH98IMG without having to plug into a PC

the prollem with leaving it permanently on your sd card,is that in an emergency situation,you will not be able to get to recovery or fastboot thru hboot. :eek: when you power on into hboot from a powered off state,hboot will find PH98IMG and try and update it again. if you install it again,the only option is to reboot. if you dont install it,the only option is to reboot. so its presence will not let you select recovery or fastboot from the hboot menu.

at this point your only course of action would be to put the card into a card reader to remove PH98IMG.

he is missing some steps before proffit. there should be:
-collect underpants
-???
then "profits!" :D

and if you dont watch southpark youll wonder wtf im talking about :eek::D

in all seriousness,hope the above explanation helps clear it up for you.

just install the rom as you described,let the phone boot,and at some point after remove PH98IMG from the sd :)

Upvote 0
PH98IMG is deposited on your sd card by the rom,and is the boot image containing the kernel that hboot will install.

you wont be able to delete PH98IMG during the install,but after the phone boots,you can plug it into your pc,place in disc drive mode,and then delete it from the sd card. you could also use a file manager to locate and delte the PH98IMG without having to plug into a PC

the prollem with leaving it permanently on your sd card,is that in an emergency situation,you will not be able to get to recovery or fastboot thru hboot. :eek: when you power on into hboot from a powered off state,hboot will find PH98IMG and try and update it again. if you install it again,the only option is to reboot. if you dont install it,the only option is to reboot. so its presence will not let you select recovery or fastboot from the hboot menu.

at this point your only course of action would be to put the card into a card reader to remove PH98IMG.

he is missing some steps before proffit. there should be:
-collect underpants
-???
then "profits!" :D

and if you dont watch southpark youll wonder wtf im talking about :eek::D

in all seriousness,hope the above explanation helps clear it up for you.

just install the rom as you described,let the phone boot,and at some point after remove PH98IMG from the sd :)

You know Scotty, I think this forum would die without you. You seriously respond crazy fast and it is appreciated. I think I'm going to go for it. Get me some ICS goodness!

Upvote 0
I'd stick with fhe custom for now :)

I did...I installed CleanROM on my lunch break. Just about got things all set up the way I like. Thanks for the help its appreciated. Odds are I probably wont go back to stock. Once I get all these extra settings I never want to go back. I will probably take the OTA and get the firmware upgrades when it does come out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones