• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install WearOS (smartwatch) to Android Smartphone?

No. Android itself needs to be built for the particular device (particular set of hardware), you can't just download a generic binary and flash it (and the bootloader won't allow you to flash anything other than official software unless you unlock it, while flashing software built for a different device will brick the phone). WearOS isn't even intended for phone hardware, only supports SoCs that aren't used by any phone, and even if you could get the source code to adapt it and build it for your phone I guarantee that there won't be drivers for any of the hardware (and as far as I know the WearOS source isn't available).

You'd be better off taking a custom Android ROM and trying to add whatever WearOS feature you want to have than trying to make a smartwatch OS run on a different type of device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Because i want an android phone that easy for an elder to use. Android OS isn't. WearOS is a simpler, lighter system, with a simpler graphical interface. Also, a simpler OS with lower hardware requirements may perform better -- android OS is a slow dog on all my android devices.

WearOS is designed for smartwatches and other wearables
Really? :sneaky:

You'd be better off taking a custom Android ROM and trying to add whatever WearOS feature you want to have than trying to make a smartwatch OS run on a different type of device.
Thx for another informative, knowledgeable answer! I'm not trying to add WearOS features to an Android phone -- i'm trying to strip away all the excess Android processes which slow down the phone, and graphical/operational features which make it too complicated to use for an elder. Even something as simple as making and receiving calls on an Android phone is a complicated user interaction that my elder Dad can't handle.

Upvote 0
You can simplify the operation of a phone by just putting icons for the things the user wants to do on the screen and removing everything else. You can get rid of "gestures" and put the old standard 3 buttons on the bottom of the screen (which are more intuitive than the gestures). But there is a minimum complexity, so if someone finds the dialler (phone app) difficult to use the only things I can think of are either a non-smart phone or maybe set up a voice assistant and see whether that works for them (I'm sure those things can make calls, don't know about answering because I don't use them myself - I'm more wary about privacy and have no problem getting the phone to do whatever I want without them).

Upvote 0
If your dad has a Samsung phone they have an Easy Mode you can enable:

There are also launchers designed for seniors that simplify the phone:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones