• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Instant Root - fails to gain access (Droid 2.0.1)

I am a new Motorola Droid user. My phone came with 2.0.1 installed. I installed Instant Root 1.04 and attempted to run it but got a message "unble to gain access".
I started down this road because I wanted to backup my phone so I could do a hard reset. So installed "Titanium Backup". It wouldn't run because my rom wasnt rooted. So i have spend 4 hours researching and each item i find leads me to another issue or program to install. Most everything seems to involve rooting.

One question I have is if there is a difference between 2.0.1 preinstalled an 2.0.1 ota?

For background I wanted to reset the phone because none of the 3rd party contact or phone dialing packages will read the native phone list or contacts.

I owned a Omnia i910 and did a considerable amount of customization on it to I am reasonably familiar with digging around in the guts for a general user.

Would appreciate any suggestions for any of these issues.
Thanks
Tom

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones