• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interested in getting the Triumph

PhRe4k

Oct 13, 2011
Me and my wife are tired of paying nearly 200 a month on our Verizon Droid X's, and I would love having to pay only 70 a month for 2 smart phones. I'm really not interested in having the latest and greatest, to be honest I am fine with having my Droid X for a few more years except I don't want to keep paying such a high price :p Any opinions on this? It seems like there are a lot of people unhappy with their phones, but usually the happy ones are much more quiet ;)

Me and my wife are tired of paying nearly 200 a month on our Verizon Droid X's, and I would love having to pay only 70 a month for 2 smart phones. I'm really not interested in having the latest and greatest, to be honest I am fine with having my Droid X for a few more years except I don't want to keep paying such a high price :p Any opinions on this? It seems like there are a lot of people unhappy with their phones, but usually the happy ones are much more quiet ;)

well this phone is known to have a bunch of issues, not everyone has them, i personally still have my triumph from the week they were released still running fine

altho its been being said that the triumph is now a discontinued model, or soon will be so you may want to look for a different phone in general

1. but theres the back button becoming non responsive at times, usually rotating the screen fixes it

2. sometimes pushing the power button wont immediately wake the phone, multiple presses will wake it

3. some have faulty micro-usb ports which will stop charging and pc connection, youd need to contact VM for a replacement

4. sdcard reader in the phones sometimes faulty, again youd need to contact VM for a replacement

5. ive only seen a few people on here have it but some have faulty cameras, which again a call to VM for a replacement would be needed

6. for me personally the only thing that bothered me alot was battery life, my stock triumph right outta the box with 100% charge wouldnt even last 24 hours, i think 22 hours was the longest battery i got on the stock rom

altho you said you dont care for the newest and greatest, the motorola triumph on bestbuy website is $280, the new Evo is $299

and as the above post states the triumph is 3g and the evo is 4g

Upvote 0
well the evo isnt just about 3d, i could also care less about 3d but

it has more internal memory
faster processor
and 4g is a much faster data connection over 3g

My third Triumph. Every one of them has rebooted randomly at least five times every day.

i forgot this in my list, so that would make it 7 issues that users have had, again not all users have them, but its just the mass of what ive seen reported as issues

Upvote 0
I love mine. Flashing cm7 does make it better than stock. I'm currently using the "gostyle" one. I also pulled off the Mega thick screen protector which also made a difference. I got mine around Christmas time which was a bit after all the bug posts so I think the newer ones might be all cleaned up. I see them offered around $200 all the time now, so search around a bit

Upvote 0
I love mine. Flashing cm7 does make it better than stock. I'm currently using the "gostyle" one. I also pulled off the Mega thick screen protector which also made a difference. I got mine around Christmas time which was a bit after all the bug posts so I think the newer ones might be all cleaned up. I see them offered around $200 all the time now, so search around a bit

oh dont get me wrong, i love my phone currently, running CM7 G60Style R0.11 Final, i just know the phone has bugs, as for the bugs, non have ever been fixed, neither VM or motorola has ever fixed anything or released any updates for this device, and they also wont release the full source code so others can fix it, they got it on lock down so to speak lol, the ones now can have the same issues as the ones out on first release

Upvote 0
well the evo isnt just about 3d, i could also care less about 3d but

it has more internal memory
faster processor
and 4g is a much faster data connection over 3g

i forgot this in my list, so that would make it 7 issues that users have had, again not all users have them, but its just the mass of what ive seen reported as issues

Are there any reviews for the EVO? It is one ugly phone and I

Upvote 0
A couple of other points to consider are:

If you live in an area with 4G coverage or not. Sprint's 3G network is miserably slow in a lot of places and if you can get 4G for the same price of 35 dollars/mo. that would be a great deal.

If you plan to use your phone as a GPS. The GPS within this phone takes forever to lock in.

The price of the plan. You can try to buy a grandfathered 25 dollar/mo plan with the phone which would save you even more money. The Triumph is still eligible to be used with this rate while the Evo is not.

Upvote 0
reviews should be pretty easy to find, its called i believe the Evo V 4g on Virgin mobile, but it was under another name for sprint i think like the Evo 3d or something

also the Iphone 4s is supposed to be hittin VM sometime soon but as i saw in another post the like $600-$650 supposed price tag is straight crazy to me lol

The price of the plan. You can try to buy a grandfathered 25 dollar/mo plan with the phone which would save you even more money. The Triumph is still eligible to be used with this rate while the Evo is not.

im pretty sure this wouldnt count unless he were to buy an already activated older phone, the price change went into effect May 31st and since he's currently not on VM he wouldnt count as grandfathered unless he bought an already activated older phone, im pretty sure if you bought a triumph right now it would be on the $35/month plan

grandfathered in usually only counts to existing customers who are basically locked in with there plans, so the company changes prices they cant force you to, but as a new member grandfathered doesnt count, unless VM is offering this and im unaware of it, but most companies do not

Upvote 0
I got my Triumph a couple months after launch and was one of the lucky ones to not have such a defective ones like a lot people had. GPS was slow to lock on on the stock ROM but I flashed the Ginger Sharp ROM and enabled assisted GPS and it started locking on immediately and even inside buildings. Now, you shouldn't have to do all this to a phone out of the box but the triumph had a lot of problems and it was necessary.

I finally had to send my phone back to virgin mobile but only because I dropped a dish on to the screen and it cracked.

I now have an Evo V and have no regrets whatsoever.

Upvote 0
waaaaaaaah:O....the phone ugly?!?!?!?! and more importantly SENSE is ugly? you do realize htc makes some of the best android phones and were the first to make an android phone...besids with the triumph you get horrible build quality bad gps lock these stupid .alog files ooh and all sort of other little "fun" quirks motorola left in from the rebranded piec of crap dont get suckerd into this phone beacuse you can find it for 220 not woth it im being honest here dont belive me? go read the threads go take a look...besids is your finacial situation really that bad??? i mean you can keep verizon...just dont buy a smartphone:D it would be somthing like 50ea a month
I agree about the Truimph,but if he does not like HTC that is his opinion and should get what he likes,i for 1 am happy with my Rezound and Verizon,to justify coming back to VM.

Upvote 0
im pretty sure this wouldnt count unless he were to buy an already activated older phone, the price change went into effect May 31st and since he's currently not on VM he wouldnt count as grandfathered unless he bought an already activated older phone, im pretty sure if you bought a triumph right now it would be on the $35/month plan

grandfathered in usually only counts to existing customers who are basically locked in with there plans, so the company changes prices they cant force you to, but as a new member grandfathered doesnt count, unless VM is offering this and im unaware of it, but most companies do not

Yes I realize that. What I'm saying is on Craigslist, etc. a lot of people sell their phones with the grandfathered plans as well. I was merely suggesting this was a possibility to the OP who might not be aware of this alternative option.

Upvote 0
Rather than deterring them away from getting this phone by listing all its flaws, why don't you tell him what he asked. And he may also have decided the MT over the Evo because it will be similar to the droid x that he is coming from.
Yes I left the MT but it wasn't the phone that made me leave, my area does not have the greatest coverage for VM, and that is why I left.

Personally I loved the MT, sure it had a couple of things that bothered me, but even my Droid Razr has a few things that annoy me.. if you look for flaws in phones you'll find them in all.. If you do decide to go with the MT don't be afraid to root it, its simple to do and you get so much more out of it.

I saw someone mention a bad battery life.. I would love to argue that, I unplugged my MT last week from the charger and after 72 hours of being unplugged with moderate use it was still at 40% .. I do not consider that poor a battery.. true I did have data disabled blue tooth off and wifi off, but with all those on my razr the battery life is the same as the MT was with all those on, so the battery life is average if you were to ask me.

I wish that the coverage could have been better for me here, I am now spending 720 more each year, and if you do your math you'll be saving around 1500 each year

Upvote 0
I will have to say that it was the network that made me leave, not the phone. So if you know that the network is good in your area, then I would recommend it. If it's not a good network area I would not recommend any VM phone.

There are 3 sprint towers around my house, other then that I really don't have any experience with sprints network in my city. A good friend of mine has been on sprint for years and has nothing but good things to say, for what its worth

waaaaaaaah:O....the phone ugly?!?!?!?! and more importantly SENSE is ugly? you do realize htc makes some of the best android phones and were the first to make an android phone...besids with the triumph you get horrible build quality bad gps lock these stupid .alog files ooh and all sort of other little "fun" quirks motorola left in from the rebranded piec of crap dont get suckerd into this phone beacuse you can find it for 220 not woth it im being honest here dont belive me? go read the threads go take a look...besids is your finacial situation really that bad??? i mean you can keep verizon...just dont buy a smartphone:D it would be somthing like 50ea a month

lolwut.jpg

Upvote 0
Don't believe all the bad things others say about the Triumph. I got one from amazon in Feb. it is just a "stock" phone. I LOVE it..I have installed quite a few apps..games.. news, sports ...it is running FINE...no usb problems...WiFi connects quickly..3G reception is fine.. GPS is quite accurate, all cameras work fine, I like the large screen (great for viewing movie trailers) removed the thick screen saver, installed a Zagat one, much better!! I pay only 25.00 a month, it suits me fine, I don't need the latest and greatest. just a reliable phone and for me the Triumph is that phone. I will probably not get another phone..that's how much I like my Triumph!!

Upvote 0

Well I'm waiting to see when virgin mobile will start selling the virgin branded EVO V 4G, but once I buy the phone you can have my old one if it's not to late.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones