• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Interesting...About Battery Calibration

Weird. I am not 100% sure I buy that, but it does sound like it makes sense.

Every time I have re-calibrated a battery, it has gotten better battery life, though I have not had to do it often. In my experience, even if you do not re-calibrate, usually, the battery life improves after a few charging cycles anyway after flashing a new ROM because it needs that time to acclimate to it.

The article isnt wrong at all...but it leaves out important information.

The entire purpose of recalibrating is to reset those stats when moving to a new rom.
On that new rom/system you habbits will not change...but the system and its reaction have...why would you want pre programmed responses from a completely different setting ?

I chalk this up to being 3 notches up above the whole sbc kernels are bad debate....because this guy isnt necessarily wrong. He is definitely right in the fact that the recalibration should not take place multiple times on the same rom. Even the calibration apks recomend only once.

I have also yet to see (after a rom change) my phone recalibrate itself after days of use. On those rom changes that i get horrible battery life that horrible experience lasts for days....the only fix has been the recalibration.

I stand by my recenetly found guns.....when you flash a new rom fully charge the phone, unplug and run a battery recalibration apk.

I gave my son his phone in May...it has run cm7 the entire time..horrible battery life. I blamed him. Ran the recalibration last week and the battery life on that phone has been trippled with no changes in how he abuses that phone.

I have done the same on all of our devices....the infuse the evo and the inspire.....positive effects on all devices.

What i dont understand though....why does using the apk differ from doing it in recovery other than the key instruction of ensuring the phone has 100% charge.

As for you are damaging this and that inside your battery.....i dismiss every speculation until someone rips apart a battery and proves it. :)

I perform a battery re-calibration once after flashing a ROM and that is all.. and it always appears to help battery life. Battery re-calibration advice has been handed down for quite a while from several of the top developers on xda so I assumed it was the best advice out there.

I'm also wondering why that article isn't allowing comments. The article itself could be proven one way or another if it allowed comments from veteran devs.

The article isnt wrong at all...but it leaves out important information.

The entire purpose of recalibrating is to reset those stats when moving to a new rom.
On that new rom/system you habbits will not change...but the system and its reaction have...why would you want pre programmed responses from a completely different setting ?

I chalk this up to being 3 notches up above the whole sbc kernels are bad debate....because this guy isnt necessarily wrong. He is definitely right in the fact that the recalibration should not take place multiple times on the same rom. Even the calibration apks recomend only once.

I have also yet to see (after a rom change) my phone recalibrate itself after days of use. On those rom changes that i get horrible battery life that horrible experience lasts for days....the only fix has been the recalibration.

I stand by my recenetly found guns.....when you flash a new rom fully charge the phone, unplug and run a battery recalibration apk.

I gave my son his phone in May...it has run cm7 the entire time..horrible battery life. I blamed him. Ran the recalibration last week and the battery life on that phone has been trippled with no changes in how he abuses that phone.

I have done the same on all of our devices....the infuse the evo and the inspire.....positive effects on all devices.

What i dont understand though....why does using the apk differ from doing it in recovery other than the key instruction of ensuring the phone has 100% charge.

As for you are damaging this and that inside your battery.....i dismiss every speculation until someone rips apart a battery and proves it. :)

I agree 100%. It is also pretty much what I said in my post above, but you added a lot more useful detail. :)

I also completely concur that re-calibrating your battery does zero damage to it. You are simply wiping the statistics for it, which do come back as it relearns everything. :cool:

I agree 100%. It is also pretty much what I said in my post above, but you added a lot more useful detail. :)

I also completely concur that re-calibrating your battery does zero damage to it. You are simply wiping the statistics for it, which do come back as it relearns everything. :cool:

In my experience, even if you do not re-calibrate, usually, the battery life improves after a few charging cycles anyway after flashing a new ROM because it needs that time to acclimate to it.

That's the only part I disagree with :D
I have yet to see any of our roms, on any of our devices improve over charging cycles.

That's the only part I disagree with :D
I have yet to see any of our roms, on any of our devices improve over charging cycles.

I have found that it depends on the ROM. Early CyanogenMod ROMs on my Sprint HTC Hero, I had to re-calibrate or the battery life would be abysmal.

However, newer CyanogenMod and AOSP ROMs for the Sprint HTC Hero, I rarely had to re-calibrate anymore. The battery life would be wonky for the first few charging cycles, but improve steadily thereafter. Of course, this was with the Sprint HTC Hero and not the Sprint HTC EVO 4G. Your mileage may vary.

When I was on the Hero I always recalibrated, since i got the EVO I haven't. I should probably try it and see, since I've owned both phones. Ask Andy, he had both phones as well see if he has any experience.
I'll be on vacation for this week, not gonna fix something that ain't broke while I'm without pc backup. :)

When I was on the Hero I always recalibrated, since i got the EVO I haven't. I should probably try it and see, since I've owned both phones. Ask Andy, he had both phones as well see if he has any experience.
I'll be on vacation for this week, not gonna fix something that ain't broke while I'm without pc backup. :)

No guts no glory Granite :p

Haha, Granite1. I forgot that this is where you went to after your Sprint HTC Hero. ;)

It is nice to see some familiar faces here. I like that. :)

wait, vacation? what? looks like you will have plenty of time then to finish your super mario theme then right? :D

The Battery University site has good info too. It's very detailed and lengthy but if you read and learn about li-ion batteries, there is good info.

Ed, these two were all over the hero forum. I swear it was seconds not minutes for a response. I'm suprised no one ever set up odds, over under and spreads, and started running books! :D
On another note, you would be a good mod or guide, you've been a huge part of this community. Like I said before you'll be missed if or when you go.

Ed, these two were all over the hero forum. I swear it was seconds not minutes for a response. I'm suprised no one ever set up odds, over under and spreads, and started running books! :D
On another note, you would be a good mod or guide, you've been a huge part of this community. Like I said before you'll be missed if or when you go.

+ 1

I think its awesome they made you and Andy guides! Yinz were and still are god sends! :D

Thank you for the very kind words, Granite1. Being passionate about Android and certain handsets and devices that it runs on is what drives us. :)

I think that when one becomes a Guide it is another great way that they can give even more back to the community. Not only does one get to help folks out, but they also get to help out the community as a whole with thread organization, greeting new joiners, and volunteer work on administration approved initiatives. :cool:

Back