• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Internal memory limitations solved

reppard

Android Enthusiast
2c16mRv

/system/app and /data/app symlinked to ext3 partition on SD card!

I read that using a swap partition slows down your phone, is that true? Also, how do I set up the partition like you guys did? What programs and procedures are you using? I would like to test this out.

I read that using a swap partition slows down your phone, is that true? Also, how do I set up the partition like you guys did? What programs and procedures are you using? I would like to test this out.

Generally swap files are bad, slow files that get written to when not enough ram is available. So usually it's undesireable. However if you have a fast SDcard like a class 10, that may make a difference.
You'd have to try it and get a feel for it.

a better start is installing VMHeap from the market and setting it to 32. See how that runs, then try a swap app from the market, and see how it runs after that.

The VMHeap app basically makes garbage collection happen less often and leaves bigger programs in memory for longer ( = more speed usually). This is the opposite of swap.
I find this is what make my phone run the smoothest, besides a class 10 SD card + SD Card Booster app (setting read ahead cache to 3072))

ROM Zero has the heap at 32, but VM is good for everyone else. If the class 10 is that good, maybe I should buy one...

Generally swap files are bad, slow files that get written to when not enough ram is available. So usually it's undesireable. However if you have a fast SDcard like a class 10, that may make a difference.
You'd have to try it and get a feel for it.

a better start is installing VMHeap from the market and setting it to 32. See how that runs, then try a swap app from the market, and see how it runs after that.

The VMHeap app basically makes garbage collection happen less often and leaves bigger programs in memory for longer ( = more speed usually). This is the opposite of swap.
I find this is what make my phone run the smoothest, besides a class 10 SD card + SD Card Booster app (setting read ahead cache to 3072))

How to get this working? This internal memory limitation is driving me NUTS. Thanks a lot ;)

I did it the ol fashion way running some perl scripts I found on a forum but recently I found an easier easy that works great. find and download android kitchen for htc, it will work for optimus roms. Just use your favorite rom zip. The kitchen I used was for linux but I'm pretty sure they have one for windows.you will have to use the custom recovery to create an ext3 partition on your sd card. Good luck!

It's not working on my mac. Throwing up errors about no such file or directory. Any way you could add this to the Sense Rom for Optimus M that was recently released for me?

As a general rule on android even just having swap enabled in the kernel but not used on device slows it down.

ok guys wanna have more internal storage heres an app that allows you to move apps that can only be install to phones storage to your sd card giving you more internal storage and best of all it's free.first in move2sd enabler choose default install to external sd and In apps to sd go to on phone and move all to sd then go to phone only and move all to sd if it say fail to move try again and it will move it but don't move your launcher to sd because it has to be on your phone are when you reboot your phone wont have a launcher.

24ynwif.png
2mos7ep.png

20t5q8j.png
2eqc1sm.png

ok guys wanna have more internal storage heres an app that allows you to move apps that can only be install to phones storage to your sd card giving you more internal storage and best of all it's free.first in move2sd enabler choose default install to external sd and In apps to sd go to on phone and move all to sd then go to phone only and move all to sd if it say fail to move try again and it will move it but don't move your launcher to sd because it has to be on your phone are when you reboot your phone wont have a launcher.

24ynwif.png
2mos7ep.png

20t5q8j.png
2eqc1sm.png

that or you can use in terminal SU

pm setInstallLocation 2

or for ADB

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

EDIT_____
although this can enable moving 2 SD for 2.2 and up for almost any app, like always apps specifically for widgets and system apps can't be moved.

also with any app to move apps, part of the app still has to stay in the phone, everything else is moved to a ".asec" file on the SD card in a ".android secure" folder :D so memory will still run out eventually D:

You can also move apps to SD, when that is not SD enabled, with Titanium Pro. Sure it costs about $6, but it is worth every penny! It can also freeze apps and backup to Drop Box.

easiest way
-load custom recovery
-partition sd card to ext3 (when you partition makesure to back up everything because sdcard will be formated)
-get link2sd from market
-enjoy =)

right now i have 106mb free out of 201mb. Also get sd card increase app

-

So whats the best solution for us newbies to free up space on the phone?

Titanium Pro
move2sd enabler

Would this help as well? App 2 SD Pro

Just trying to find an easy solution for those of us that dont want to get PhD's in Android...lol

Also im using a 2 gig SD card

2c16mRv

/system/app and /data/app symlinked to ext3 partition on SD card!

Great thread. I'd love to see how you did the symlink.

Also, thanks to blaxican25 for his contribution. I was able to work out my space issues. I found though, that I couldn't move swype. It didn't work again after I moved it. However, after I re-installed it, it went to the sd card because I'd enabled it in the Move2sd enabler that he pointed out.

Yay! I've got about 40 MB internal now. Not great, compared to what others have show they have, but I don't have the phone screaming at me that memory is low when I install an app.

One thing I couldn't do, was to move Thinkfree Office.

24ynwif.png
2mos7ep.png

20t5q8j.png
2eqc1sm.png

Once thing I have noticed is once you do this when you go back into Marketplace and look for updates it wants to update all apps your moved over. . . or am I mistaken Thus re installing them on the internal memory??

Back
Top Bottom