• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internal storage caution

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
The storage is mapped differently than the DX1 and most devices (except tablets). Normally, the microsd is mapped as mnt/sdcard (this is where a lot of data is pushed to and where apps2sd goes).

Since the internal storage is mapped as mnt/sdcard, this means that apps will push data to that space (bookmarks, some cache, game data, etc) and NOT the actual microsd card. The microsd is for media only (or game roms, since most will allow mapping to external sources).

Might want to be careful how much media you put in the internal 4.3gb of space, since if too full, you will have app issues, including install errors.

Folks that root can probably make some more breathing room, since there is a ton of bloat on the device. Best to just freeze smaller apps, but games should free some of the space.

With 8gb, there should be 7.5gb free (minus the locked device storage). Since 4.3gb is free, there should be about 3.2gb of app storage. Any difference is probably bloat and can be freed form the 4.3gb (sdcard) storage. I know the actual app storage is less than 3.2gb.

The mapping will NOT be an issue, but needs to be considered for folks that had devices like Droid Inc (me) and the DX1. The internal space on the Inc was media storage.

BTW: If the microsd was accessible while on, the DX2 mapping would be perfect for card swapping media.

i noticed that when i got my dx2 also. i thought maybe i was looking at it wrong but i guess not, thats just a stupid os design.

If the microsd was hot swappable, it would be a great design, since no app worries when moving the card.

As stands, it really is not a problem, but would have been sweet if the card was not stuck behind the battery. LGs is too.

If I get the X2, I will load up game roms in the internal, but leave 2gb for app data and photos.

Upvote 0
Agreed, it's really short-sighted. Very few apps allow you to save to this mnt/sdcard-ext path. What were they thinking doing this? I can't even save pics and videos to this path without shuffling around the files manually.

Eric

sure you can. in the camera settings, change storage location to "sd card". this will make a dcim folder in the root of the micro sd card and camera photos will now be saved there...

Upvote 0
If you install a lot of games, it is best to leave 2gb free, just in case.

If you take a lot of photos, best to leave that much too.

If you do neither, keep at least 500mb free in the internal device storage.

Since there is about 1.5gb device storage and 4.3gb internal, seems there is at least 1gb of bloat and that could be freed and make the 4.3gb, 5.3gb instead.

Upvote 0
sure you can. in the camera settings, change storage location to "sd card". this will make a dcim folder in the root of the micro sd card and camera photos will now be saved there...

Doesn't this save all the pictures to /mnt/sdcard which is technically the internal memory? That's what I'm concerned about, filling up the internal memory and not leaving plenty of room for apps.

Eric

Upvote 0
Is it possible that since many of the new crop of Honeycomb tablets have only internal storage (and no external microSD slots) that this a sign that the hardware manufacturers are moving away from expandable storage and/or making the microSD slot basically dedicated to just media? Also, mapping the storage volumes in such a way is probably paving the way for easier cross-compatibility between Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb devices and maybe even setting things up for future Ice Cream Sandwich compatibility.

Also, with the ceiling on the microSDHC standard stuck at 32Gb and no sign of SDXC support in Android or microSDXC cards on the horizon (for 64Gb+), our best best for having oodles of storage going forward would be an sizable internal storage volume (8, 16, or 32gb) combined to an external slot. For example, on the latest crop of Android phones, I'd rather see them have sizable internal storage than including 32Gb cards and let the user provide their own card if desired or needed (e.g. the Droid Charge has only ~2Gb internal but bundles a 32Gb card. Thunderbolt has 8Gb internal but bundles a 32Gb card. I'd rather see both devices packing 16Gb internally and having a microSD slot but no bundled card).

You could then effectively have 64gb in total space and equal Apple's largest iPad and ipod Touch sizes.

Upvote 0
Is it possible that since many of the new crop of Honeycomb tablets have only internal storage (and no external microSD slots) that this a sign that the hardware manufacturers are moving away from expandable storage and/or making the microSD slot basically dedicated to just media? Also, mapping the storage volumes in such a way is probably paving the way for easier cross-compatibility between Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb devices and maybe even setting things up for future Ice Cream Sandwich compatibility.

Also, with the ceiling on the microSDHC standard stuck at 32Gb and no sign of SDXC support in Android or microSDXC cards on the horizon (for 64Gb+), our best best for having oodles of storage going forward would be an sizable internal storage volume (8, 16, or 32gb) combined to an external slot. For example, on the latest crop of Android phones, I'd rather see them have sizable internal storage than including 32Gb cards and let the user provide their own card if desired or needed (e.g. the Droid Charge has only ~2Gb internal but bundles a 32Gb card. Thunderbolt has 8Gb internal but bundles a 32Gb card. I'd rather see both devices packing 16Gb internally and having a microSD slot but no bundled card).

You could then effectively have 64gb in total space and equal Apple's largest iPad and ipod Touch sizes.

Fair view, since Honeycomb uses dynamic storage and treats internal as the "microsd" (like the DX2). Honeycomb has its own issues, since you must leave 1gb free on the A500 16gb and Transformer 16gb and almost 3gb free on the Xoom 32gb. You run into install errors with apps if you do not. Waste of space, since nothing can go into the space, or you can not install anymore apps.

Seems "dynamic storage" in Android still has some bugs to fix.

Upvote 0
I recently switched from the dx to the dx2, and I'm still trying to figure out the storage issue.

I know that photos and videos can be set to default to the removable sd card; but is there any way to set this as a default for everything; downloads etc...?

What I liked about the dx, was that even if something happened to the phone, I could still just pull the sd card, and not risk losing much. Now, I have to manually move each item; time consuming pain in the ass.

Any ideas would be great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones