• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Easy Transfer Any Time

jmklei0

Newbie
I reluctantly like changing/updating the ROM I'm using every once in a while. I would probably be more willing to upgrade versions when they come out or check out a new ROM if there was an actual easy way to restore.

I'm asking for all situations and for all ROMS, so not that it matters, but this particular situation is related to upgrading from 1.3.0 to 1.5.0 Codename Android. On my phone (Samsung Galaxy LTE) I use ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, and now, reluctantly, Angry Birds backup.

All I want to do is find a simple way to change ROMs without the hassle of using multiple applications to back up and restore apps and all the data that goes along with it. Every time an updated version comes out, it requires a full wipe and, now, GAPPS is not included.

First, the GAPPS additional work flustered me this time around, as it was the first time it wasn't included in the ROM flash. So, I had to go to the internet browser on my phone just to download the .zip file for GAPPS, after flashing the ROM and rebooting. Otherwise, I didn't have Google Play Store, and subsequently ROM Manager. So, an important question is how do I flash GAPPS without all those steps? Should I flash it before the ROM update? I wouldn't think so; it doesn't make sense.

Secondly, and also important, using one app, preferably Titanium Backup, as I'm familiar with the Batch system, etc, how the hell do I backup all my data, settings, history, game levels, launcher, and previous ROM preferences in one-step? I understand that when I upgrade to a new ROM, my settings will change, but I'm wishing, I guess, to find a way to keep some of the old settings. Many of the upgrades automatically preclude that none of the ROM settings are saved, but it just seems like it could be done, at least, for the things that don't change...like the fact that my options for an indicator light are still going to be blue. Simple stuff.

I always manage to get most of my data restored using Ti. I always restore Missing Apps and Data in batch. Then, I have to go back and restore the Data for the launcher, as, I guess, it is part of the System and not a regular App. I always lose my SMS history, though and I always lose Angry Bird levels, unless I use another freaking app to save the levels.

What the hell? Why can't it be simple? Please help. Is there a way to do all this simply without dreading the process before I decide to upgrade and take a couple hours of my phone time away?

Thanks to everyone.
 
Not sure if it can be made simpler but things I do are :

- Create a TiB update.zip file in the system directory. Flash it straight after ROM/GApps to avoid a trip to the market and all the store downloads. Batch restore everything before you login to Google by hitting the 4 corners of the screen to avoid the setup.

- Use ApkExtractor to get things like wireless settings, call logs and SMSs out of the Nandroid I'm assuming you made before the flashing. Apart from the ROM and launcher settings (I just hit restore in Nova) this should get everything that TiB doesn't
 
Back
Top Bottom