• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Restoring HTC One To Stock ROM?

Gavvo

Mar 23, 2014
Gateshead
Hi all, New guy here with somewhat of an issue.

I bought an HTC One from Gumtree a few month or so ago and unknown to me it was running Android Revolution HD custom ROM. Thing is, I'm new to all this Android carry on (being a former Apple fanboy), and although I love the freedom and usability of Android it's really doing my head in due to the fact I can't use online banking or watch Sky Go on my device due to it being rooted.
So I'm ideally looking to go back to a stock ROM, also due to the fact the phone is also still under warranty.

I've looked at guides on doing it but because I'm unfamiliar with Androids and tech talk, it's look like a very daunting task.

Can someone help me please or let me in on the loop of some of the familiar terms like s-on/s-off, kernels, superuser...before I attempt this and potentially brick my phone?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gavvo and welcome to the forums!

I'm sure we can get you sorted out. But first, could you confirm what phone you have, you say HTC One in your post but have posted in the HTC One Max forum? They are not the same and will probably have different rooting methods and will certainly need different stock ROMs. If its not a Max I'll move the thread to the right forum (HTC One All Things Root). I know a few experts on the HTC one lurk there!

Roger

Reactions: Gavvo and scotty85
Upvote 0
Hi all, New guy here with somewhat of an issue.

I bought an HTC One from Gumtree a few month or so ago and unknown to me it was running Android Revolution HD custom ROM. Thing is, I'm new to all this Android carry on (being a former Apple fanboy), and although I love the freedom and usability of Android it's really doing my head in due to the fact I can't use online banking or watch Sky Go on my device due to it being rooted.
So I'm ideally looking to go back to a stock ROM, also due to the fact the phone is also still under warranty.

I've looked at guides on doing it but because I'm unfamiliar with Androids and tech talk, it's look like a very daunting task.

Can someone help me please or let me in on the loop of some of the familiar terms like s-on/s-off, kernels, superuser...before I attempt this and potentially brick my phone?

Thanks in advance.

do you have fastboot and adb?
if not can you post a screen shot of the bootloader (Power + vol down) and the about screen with the phone version numbers

Reactions: Gavvo
Upvote 0
It does have fast boot but not sure about adb. Like I said, I'm not familiar with Androids at all. Appreciate any help you can offer though.

Screenshot_2014-03-23-20-38-26_zpsubtdqntb.png
Screenshot_2014-03-23-20-38-26_zpsubtdqntb.png

Upvote 0

very nice and your on O2

extract my copy of fastboot to your desktop
then your going to open a command prompt from that folder (shift + right click command prompt here)

then you need to lock your bootloader
in the command window type
fastboot devices
you should see your serial number
then
fastboot oem lock
fastboot reboot-bootloader

now from this screen you run the RUU found here
AndroidRUU | The #1 source for Android RUU files

This will totally wipe your phone so backup first
when it done you have a brand new out of the box phone on kitkat 4.4.2

Edit: if you need HTC Drivers for fastboot to see your phone their here >> http://www.mediafire.com/download/j55vk6qbbr6250c/HTCDriver_4.8.0.002.exe

Attachments

• fastboot.zip
    557.7 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Gavvo and scotty85
Upvote 0
Be prepaired for the fact that when you lock the bootloader you will locked into it,with a security warning you will not have use of your phone again until you either successfully run the ruu,or re-unlock the bootloader.

Since you are allready unlocked and rooted,I might encourage you to run rumrunner on your phone before following clsa's directions.

This will give you "s-off" wich means no security checks by the phone when installing software/firmware.

This will make any future attempts to modify the phone much,much easier,and gives a much broader range of options rescue if the device becomes "soft bricked" (wont boot),s off is IMO,safer and better as long as one is able to use common sense about what one tries to install on the phone,and being s off will not affect your plan to be stock and unrooted. There are absolutely no advantages to being s on.

Being s off will also let you skip the lock bootloader step,as the ruu will run while unlocked if youre s off. Could save you some.headache if the ruu fails for some.reason,as you won't be stuck in bootloader with a security warning as I described above :)

http://rumrunner.us/

Upvote 0
It's the official software package, so the risk of bricking is very low. Just don't pull the cable out or power the computer down while the flash is happening (if you're paranoid, use a laptop because they don't fall over if there's a power cut!). :)

I'm gonna leave it until tomorrow. My laptop charging cable is a bit temperamental, and the last thing I want to do is knock it off while flashing.

Upvote 0
Be prepaired for the fact that when you lock the bootloader you will locked into it,with a security warning you will not have use of your phone again until you either successfully run the ruu,or re-unlock the bootloader.

Since you are allready unlocked and rooted,I might encourage you to run rumrunner on your phone before following clsa's directions.

This will give you "s-off" wich means no security checks by the phone when installing software/firmware.

This will make any future attempts to modify the phone much,much easier,and gives a much broader range of options rescue if the device becomes "soft bricked" (wont boot),s off is IMO,safer and better as long as one is able to use common sense about what one tries to install on the phone,and being s off will not affect your plan to be stock and unrooted. There are absolutely no advantages to being s on.

Being s off will also let you skip the lock bootloader step,as the ruu will run while unlocked if youre s off. Could save you some.headache if the ruu fails for some.reason,as you won't be stuck in bootloader with a security warning as I described above :)

http://rumrunner.us/

Right, I'm ready to start. Just to clarify, if I use rumrunner I won't need to do the first steps of Hadrons instructions and won't need to lock the bootloader?

Upvote 0
Right, I'm ready to start. Just to clarify, if I use rumrunner I won't need to do the first steps of Hadrons instructions and won't need to lock the bootloader?

that is correct :)

be aware,that the exploits used can look like virus to security programs,making it a bit tricky to run on windows. if you get failures,alot of folks have had to temporarily disable firewall and antivirus programs while downloading and running the tool.

just holler if you have questions :)

Upvote 0
that is correct :)

be aware,that the exploits used can look like virus to security programs,making it a bit tricky to run on windows. if you get failures,alot of folks have had to temporarily disable firewall and antivirus programs while downloading and running the tool.

just holler if you have questions :)

Sorry I've took a while getting back on to update on progress. My fiancee gave birth to our daughter so I've not really had time to have a play around.

On another note, I've managed to S-OFF after a few attempts of my phone not playing ball and being a pain. A master reset seems to have allowed rumrunner to do its job though.

Now that I have achieved S-OFF, what do I do next?

Sorry if this all seems a bit long winded but I genuinely am new to Android.

Cheers again in advance :)

Upvote 0
Now that you're s off,you could always use a different ruu.

It's possible the one you're using may work if you temporarily disable firewall and antivirus programs. Your pc may be shutting it down if it thi is its installing virus or malware.

Also make sure that you have removed any software capable of talking to the phone- HTC sync,pdanet,easytether,even iTunes can cause prollems

another option is to extract rom.zip,then flash it via ruu mode in fastboot.

extract rom.zip in this manner:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card
flash rom.zip in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones