• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Intro - USA AT&T android potential newbie - Atrix?

egDonald

Jun 20, 2011
Elk Grove, CA
Hello, everyone. My name is Donald. I live in the USA, residing in California.

I joined this forum because out of the other Android-related forums, I found this to be most condensed and specific... partly because this forum was the first one that I saw that narrowed searches and forums down based on phone manufacurer and model :D - definitely makes things easier when it comes down to specifics.

As the Intro thread suggests, I am a complete newcomer to the Android community. I'm a longtime AT&T customer and I have little plans to change out from AT&T, unless someone provides extreme reason to switch out. Until then, I am happy where I'm at. And so, I am interested in one of AT&T's more recent Android powered phones, the Motorola Atrix. I've been window shopping for the last few months and just haven't made the move to buy yet due to fear that Atrix might not be what I'm looking for.

It's my impression that smart-phones are the new norm for cellular phones these days, and although I may only access 15% of a smart-phone's potential, I figure "why not?"; if the power is there, why-not get it. Why settle for something that fits exactly my needs. Why not get something that has added power or features to it? So, I choose the Atrix.

Through my short lurkings here on the androidforums.com, I have already realized how Android releases are referenced (ie. GingerBread, Froyo, Ice Cream Sandwich, etc) - and quite amusing if I may say so :cool:.

To provide a gauge as to "how much I think I understand" when it comes to Android, as of current, it is my first time ever hearing the term "sideloading" used. I've heard of "bootloading", but that's a rather obvious term. Other features, tips, tricks, and "cool" things about Android, i hope to learn here on the forums.

Nevertheless... here I am. I will lurk, and I will most likely make limited contribution to the androidforums.com as I'm just not that versed in Android yet.

One of the other big reasons I want Android is to go opposite of iPhone, although I recognize Apple and iPhone's success and prowess, I would like to go against what is considered "pop" and try to see if I can figure out the more mysterious world of Android.

Hi... my name is Donald :eek: - help me figure out Android, please.

Welcome to Android Forums, Donald!

Not to burst your trend-bucking rebel bubble, but Android has been the dominant smartphone platform for almost a year and some predict a 50% market share by the end of 2012. Still, it is perceived as more "geeky" than "trendy".

When it comes to (android) phones, there is no best phone. Each person's needs are different. Some want a big screen, others want fast processors, others want long battery life, etc. If you let us know what you expect from a smartphone in terms of features and what is important to you, then we can point you in the direction of the best information so you can make an educated choice.

I think the biggest cause of disappointment for first time smartphone owners is having preconceived notions and unrealistic expectations. The more you know up front, the less likely you are to have an initial frustrating or poor experience.

I hope we can be of some assistance.

Upvote 0
nah, no bubble was busted... maybe I should have added to what I meant by going the oppositie direction of iPhone... you said it best "geeky" vs. "trendy". I'm always up for a little tech challenge :D

as for what I'm looking for in a phone, I'm really a simple kind of user. I'm not really looking for anything special or extremely sophisticated.
I just need to make calls, track events via a calendar and reminder system, and have a reliable/strong sounding alarm clock to wake up.... also a GPS system would be useful. I'm sure I can list a whole lot of "likes", "wants", and "needs", but I think at the end of the day, I need something like a PC all in my hand - surf the net, check emails, make some calls, calendar, and occasionally GPS.

Maybe serve as some time-bites when I travel (hotel or airport) or sit somewhere waiting and wanna play a simple game or perhaps watch a internally stored movie or something. Occasionally when driving in rural areas plug the phone into the car stereo AUX/tape input and listen to some MP3z.

all the extra fluff, I'd like just to have there if I ever find a need for it.
thanks! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones