• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Facebook Evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote a whole huge post then realised it sounded a bit whiny, so deleted it.

I agree with you. However, I am this close to just giving it all up and deleting my facebook account in its entirety and living with the consequences.

You wrote "delete". Do you mean uninstall the app? Or ending or canceling your account? I ask, because from what I have read. There is no way to delete old stuff. I guess it stays out there? Idk. It would be nice if you could just make everything disappear. Thats how much I regret ever being a part of it. Not because of my content. But because I hate the fact that they became progressively more controlling and I ignorantly let them. Although, I will say they were very sneaky about it. Mark Z once asked a camera crew that was following him to just please leave me alone. That was his words. I wish they could do the same. *End of rant.* Sorry.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
"Facebook are testing"... or is that someone else who are testing FB users?

The whole thing smells of experimenting on users by government departments.

FB exploits certain kinds of people for corporate & government interests. Many of those people are only too happy or ignorant for this to continue & choose to ignore, or are simply unaware.

I do despise the term "social media". If people really are friends (or family), then they will speak to them directly, in person or by phone. Facebook is NOT a social life. Facebook is a heavy filter which people put between themselves & other people, something they wouldn't do if they truly are friends (or family)!!! But now, this "heavy filter" has been corrupted by people with government & corporate interests. That's why FB continues to change things on peoples accounts without asking.

I think some people are so fickle they'll continue being brainwashed by the lure of FB (& twitter, etc) without considering the implications: such as, employers and/or malicious people spying on them because of paranoia or other agenda; corporations data mining; governments using FB for social experiments online;

...and my main pet hate: that people have forgotten that smartphones are TELEPHONES & don't bother calling (or texting) their actual, real friends & family anymore. The parasites are eating into some people turning them into zombies.

[/rant]

Upvote 0
"Facebook are testing"... or is that someone else who are testing FB users?

The whole thing smells of experimenting on users by government departments.

FB exploits certain kinds of people for corporate & government interests. Many of those people are only too happy or ignorant for this to continue & choose to ignore, or are simply unaware.

I do despise the term "social media". If people really are friends (or family), then they will speak to them directly, in person or by phone. Facebook is NOT a social life. Facebook is a heavy filter which people put between themselves & other people, something they wouldn't do if they truly are friends (or family)!!! But now, this "heavy filter" has been corrupted by people with government & corporate interests. That's why FB continues to change things on peoples accounts without asking.

I think some people are so fickle they'll continue being brainwashed by the lure of FB (& twitter, etc) without considering the implications: such as, employers and/or malicious people spying on them because of paranoia or other agenda; corporations data mining; governments using FB for social experiments online;

...and my main pet hate: that people have forgotten that smartphones are TELEPHONES & don't bother calling (or texting) their actual, real friends & family anymore. The parasites are eating into some people turning them into zombies.

[/rant]
I completely agree with everything you said!

Upvote 0
I haven't forgotten what a phone primarily is. I've had nasty comments from some fanboys that I need a flip phone as I'm out of date.

A Flip phone does not have the capacity nor the apps to run my reference library. I'm paying for the apps (most are pay for) and paying my phone bill. Any phone is an instrument to be used as you need and desire. If you want the latest mod cons, be my guest, it's your phone and none of my business. Pay me the courtesy of letting me go to hell in my own fashion.

Upvote 0
What an Introvert Sounds Like - The Atlantic

Like I'd give them any info, real or not, anyway. My well being is none of the scientists concern, but it's going to turn into just more than some law enforcement complaints about those who don't post so they can't be monitored. You'll get bothered if you don't post your kid's doings from the "it's for the children" crowd.

"we don't see any kid's pics on your page"
yes, you do. They have 4 legs and a tail and either say meow or they "dook"

None of the words referred to anything about a hippopotamus environment anyway.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones