• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it as good as they indicated

bonerp

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
UK
Hi All,
I had the S2 and frankly thought it was the dogs nadgers. Screen perhaps a little small so along came the Note - which I now have. Very happy and now its running ICS its almost a perfect phone except for a few userbility issues generally caused, I suspect by non-optimised apps.

I bought the Note as I had a Galaxy tab 10.1 and hated it - too big, not as good as a laptop etc etc.

Now the long awaited S3 is here, whats the general remarks on this phone? Does it live up to the hype and expectation?? Gotta say I went into a local phone shop and picked up the demo (once I'd found it - doesnt exactly stand out does it?) and was very very dissappointed. The design is frankly non existent and not sure I'd part with

I love mine, coming from the tiny screen of the portal (3.7") but realistically its much wider than I'm used too. Sometimes part of my palm touches the screen if I try to type one handed and it's a stretch for my thumb to hit buttons and keys on the far side of the screen, but I just change the way I type/hold the phone.

I'm not that fussed though as in comparison to my 2.5 year old portal the S3 is a power house, so I'm confident I'll be happy with it for the next 2 years, albeit it'll probably get rooted sooner or later.

I don't demand much from a phone Tbh, hardly ever use the camera, that's what I've got a digital camera for, and I don't use it as an mp3 player, I've got one of those too, but for me net access and gaming are fairly important and no issues so far there.

S beam is nice, but it's not too dissimilar from bluetooth, NFC, well it's nice to future proof, right? As for S voice, well I think don't ever talk to my phone unless I'm in a call, so that won't get used. But the gps gets a fix pretty darn fast when I have used it.

All in all, does it do what I need, yup, and then some, am I happy with it, of course! Is it perfect, nope, but it has nice additions that my old phone didn't, like the flash, notification led, front facing camera etc. So like I said, it'll do me for the next 2 years and by then I guess it'll all be about 5G and the galaxy S5 and how that will make your morning coffee in time for when your alarm goes off. I'll give it a 9.8/10 though!

Reactions: bonerp
Upvote 0
For me the S3 is easily the best phone out there at the moment (and I've tried more phones than most, presently owning the S3, Note, One X, 4S, HD2, and N8).
You sound a lot like me. I had the Note but sold it. I have the HTC One x and Iphone 4s presently. I'm thinking of purchasing the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S III. I was wondering how it compared to the HTC One X. In your opinoin is the camera as nice on the SGSIII as the camera on the HTC One X?

Upvote 0
I also have a galaxy note, and I was gonna get galaxy s3 to use both devices. But, my mind is actually moving to galaxy s3. I just can't deal with the size of the phone anymore. I thought galaxy note would be popular, but it wasn't as I expected. I want a device that most of people use it. So that way we can share things and even more accessories are available. My response can't be the standing out key thing of the device since I haven't used, yet. But, I think it's totally worthy to get the new trend of the smartphones! :)

Upvote 0
You sound a lot like me. I had the Note but sold it. I have the HTC One x and Iphone 4s presently. I'm thinking of purchasing the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S III. I was wondering how it compared to the HTC One X. In your opinoin is the camera as nice on the SGSIII as the camera on the HTC One X?

I prefer the camera for the most part, the One X can take better shots in low light with it's better aperture but it's results vary wildly, and besides that the S3 camera is equivalent or better in most respects. Check GSMArena, they did an indepth comparison.

Reactions: DeniseJ
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones