• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it true that we need root to make sure the OTA JB doesn't install?

wildkitten

Android Enthusiast
I was browsing through the Android Central forums and some people are making the comment that eventually JB will install eventually and we only get a certain number of times to decline it. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I have read Samuri's comments that if anyone is rooted through HoB or FXZ and installs will lose the ability to root JB permanently, and that the only way to to keep root is with Voodoo Keeper or something? Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, do we need to root with this on ICS BEFORE we upgrade to JB?

As far as Root goes, right know the only way to have JB and Root is to make sure you root ICS, then install Voodoo Root Keeper. Run it and it backs up your root, then install JB, then use Voodoo to restore root. It works if you follow directions. Check some of Samuri's threads and he explains it all.

I'm sure in time someone will figure out how to root from scratch. It usually works this way with most updates.

As far as Root goes, right know the only way to have JB and Root is to make sure you root ICS, then install Voodoo Root Keeper. Run it and it backs up your root, then install JB, then use Voodoo to restore root. It works if you follow directions. Check some of Samuri's threads and he explains it all.

I'm sure in time someone will figure out how to root from scratch. It usually works this way with most updates.

Thank You Eagle. I have been reading a lot of Sam's comments. Apparently according to what they have been saying in Android Central is that you can use voodoo and unroot and be able to reroot using Voodoo after JB installs as well. I just don't know what I want to do yet.

So far all comments are that 22 is stable, but it is the first day of release. I haven't heard any more about this ISIS and if it was removed from 22 that was tested.

I'm not sure I want to root yet, I never have to this point as I don't have the $500 to replace a bricked phone, but I hate that options are being taken away from us because reportedly, if someone goes in unrooted without having used Voodoo, well, no more root ability ever, even though they are qualifying that. It seems this Dan R who quit was the guru of rooting the Bionic.

All I will say is, the JB soak test did not affect my root status.
Well, I already know there is no known way to root in JB if you go in unrooted UNLESS you do some sort of root prior to taking the JB with Voodoo OTA rootkeeper. Some testers are reporting that there MAY be a way to do it, but is very complicated and requires Linux, if it works.

But my question wasn't dealing with if it would hold root through the upgrade, it was do we need root to keep the update from eventually being forced on us. Some of the testers and modders I have seen comments on from various Android sites say you can only decline the install so many times before it will eventually force update and I was trying to see if this was true in the experience of some of the people here.

Back
Top Bottom